Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-19-2017, 07:09 AM   #1
mickgibs
mickgibs began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Help with faulty Kobo Wifi

Please don't condemn me for starting a new thread. I promise I've read heaps and not found a solution to my problem...

But I have an old Kobo Wifi e-reader that worked perfectly fine until recently - after I recently connected to wifi (I hadn't done this for years) the e-reader prompted me to update, so I did. A couple of weeks after doing this it stopped working properly.

After 5 emails to Kobo support I'm getting no where so I thought I might ask this forum for help.

Anyway, when I start up my e-reader, it...
- goes to the Books screen but doesn't show any books
- The Kobo desktop software doesn't recognise it
- doesn't let me connect to the store
- when I view the contents of the e-reader through windows explorer, it is empty
- I get a 'Error communicating with device' notification when trying to connect with Calibre

I tried a factory reset, and that did nothing. It behaves the same way.

Can anyone help me? I really want to keep this e-reader

The Calibre error reads:

calibre, version 3.7.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

SQLError: no such table: dbversion

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 88, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 511, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 320, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 167, in get_database_version
File "c:\t\t\apsw-j6gj96\apsw-3.13.0-r1\src\cursor.c", line 1019, in APSWCursor_execute.sqlite3_prepare
File "c:\t\t\apsw-j6gj96\apsw-3.13.0-r1\src\statementcache.c", line 386, in sqlite3_prepare
SQLError: SQLError: no such table: dbversion

Last edited by mickgibs; 09-19-2017 at 07:14 AM.
mickgibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:49 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I think I have to start by pointing to a response I posted earlier today: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=290532.

But, again, that is a weird error. I don't know how the database can exist on the devvice with out the dbversion table in it. Have you done the setup of the device?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:20 AM   #3
mickgibs

The other thread sounds at least similar. I'll attempt to follow that advice and report back.

But to answer your other question, I'm unable to do the Setup - the Desktop software doesn't recognise the device when I plug it in, so i can't run through the setup wizard - it doesn't make it past the initial screen that asks me to plug in the device, and I cannot seem to do anything on the device itself.

I should add that I don't use an SD card, only the internal memory.

By the way, Kobo support has agreed to escalate it to 'someone who can help'.

Last edited by mickgibs; 09-20-2017 at 04:19 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:14 AM   #4
mickgibs

I'm not really getting any satisfaction from Kobo support - it's really disappointing. Can anyone help me with instructions for how to reinstall all of the software - i.e. roll it back to a known working version of the software?

Any help appreciated.

Tags
kobo wifi