Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-10-2017, 11:59 AM   #1
amorousdescent
amorousdescent began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
does anyone use kobo

Hi,
I'm working on some software and I need a copy of the kobo windows reader thing. Specifically, from Program Files x86, I need Kobo.exe and nickel.dll

I think I can do something interesting eventually...

Please message me or if you can upload those two files and give me a link or something. Thanks.
amorousdescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:09 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Here's the link to download Kobo Desktop.

https://www.kobo.com/desktop

If that's not what you want, I have no idea where to get it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:10 AM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by amorousdescent View Post
Hi,
I'm working on some software and I need a copy of the kobo windows reader thing. Specifically, from Program Files x86, I need Kobo.exe and nickel.dll

I think I can do something interesting eventually...

Please message me or if you can upload those two files and give me a link or something. Thanks.
I would agree with Jon -- simply download the installer from Kobo Desktop Reading Application and have your own copies of those two files without requesting someone else to send you copyrighted content. You can also check Github kobolabs/Kobo-Reader for the open source components.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:31 PM   #4
amorousdescent

Well I don't think it would be copyrighted content because it's not source code. It's two binary files. I'm pretty sure it would be fine to distribute them.

How about giving me the md5 sums for those two files at least? I'm trying to make sure that the ones I have are the same, and if not then I would need to analyze them to make sure my software works.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:00 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Well I don't think it would be copyrighted content because it's not source code. It's two binary files. I'm pretty sure it would be fine to distribute them.

How about giving me the md5 sums for those two files at least? I'm trying to make sure that the ones I have are the same, and if not then I would need to analyze them to make sure my software works.
What exactly are you wanting?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:40 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
An interesting theory. You might want to test it by distributing the Microsoft Office 2016 installer.

Quote:
Code:
kobo.exe (Kobo Desktop Edition 4.5.7662)

MD5: 3A76A515791848707E354717CE5346DE
SHA-1: D1F261947C863E210C9DC5D11517F315E1F33ED5
SHA-256: E087F283B127A9FAE17AA2D67195ED76A07BE866055EA871D47E72B5AF4BDB7E

nickel.dll
MD5: BD2F079490FD24D54A779CCD3D099D58
SHA-1: FBFA714A52821BA2BDA4809BE887AF22F9486F48
SHA-256: 9B0C352BEBA96D5546B5E39FC4180EED7408133DD8DF127C51070A309AEB1F41
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:34 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I'm as amused by that statement as the other David.
Quote:
Why? Anyone who is using the Kobo desktop application has download from the link given. Or the application updated itself using the same version. And there is only one version available at a time. Download it, install it and take a note of the version number. Do your work and when you publish it, tell people what version of the application is needed for it to run.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:31 AM   #8
jbonet
jbonet began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Happy with my new Kobo Aura One

After years using Kindles, I decided to try Kobo. I received my new Kobo Aura One yesterday, and after one day, I am now able to transfer all my ebooks between Kindle Kobo. I collect all my ebooks in Calibre, whatever their source.

I'm delighted with my Kobo Aura One. I don't think I'll be reading on my Kindle anymore.
jbonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:01 PM   #9
amorousdescent

Well in this case obviously I mean that because the Kobo application is freely distributed, it would not likely be a problem to distribute it here. Perhaps the terms of service, that are not sometimes not really legally enforceable because everyone has to hit "agree" and never reads them, might say something about not distributing the binnaries. But in this situation it doesn't seem like it would be a problem.

Thanks for the checksums!

Actually I had a laptop fail so I haven't been on for a while. I wanted to check that it was the same binary, I'm imagining some complex scheme and wanted to make sure it wasn't the case.

I'll post something interesting when it makes sense to. Thank again.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:16 PM   #10
amorousdescent

Looks like there's a new version 4.6.8062. After my laptop died I had to download it, I don't suppose anyone has md5s for Kobo.exe and nickel.dll for this? If not, maybe I can find some better way to verify what I'm looking for.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:16 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So what is it you are wanting to do?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:52 PM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Looks like there's a new version 4.6.8062.
That sounds a bit strange. The latest version I have is 4.6.9995 (dated 11th Oct 2017).
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:40 PM   #13
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
That sounds a bit strange. The latest version I have is 4.6.9995 (dated 11th Oct 2017).
4.6.8062 refers to the Kobo Desktop program not the firmware on the readers. Just downloaded the Desktop app and that is what I got. The date shown is 10/3/17 and I assume this is in US format i.e. 3 Oct 2017.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:10 PM   #14
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
4.6.8062 refers to the Kobo Desktop program not the firmware on the readers. Just downloaded the Desktop app and that is what I got. The date shown is 10/3/17 and I assume this is in US format i.e. 3 Oct 2017.
BobC
Oops, sorry, my misunderstanding.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:35 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Looks like there's a new version 4.6.8062. After my laptop died I had to download it, I don't suppose anyone has md5s for Kobo.exe and nickel.dll for this? If not, maybe I can find some better way to verify what I'm looking for.
As no-one is working on things that depend on the Kobo desktop, I doubt that anyone has generated any sort of version checking. You should just generate them yourself. You are the one that is interested in validating the versions of these files. So, generate them and use that to check when installing or running your code.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote