Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-14-2017, 11:35 AM   #16
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Yes, that is the firmware version we are trying to learn about.

There where two PW-2 models, a 2Gbyte version (like prior Kindles) and a 4Gbyte version (like newer Kindles)
Your PW2 must be the earlier version.
Your PW3 must be a 4Gbyte version (there is also a PW3, 32Gbyte version in Japan).

Doesn't all of these technical details make you glad that all you want to do is read books with it?

Last edited by knc1; 07-14-2017 at 11:38 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:03 PM   #17
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by happysnapper22 View Post
Arrived today. Quite how the post office can take 2 days to ship from one of their main sort offices to a Post Office is beyond me but that's another story...

Out of the box info - device has had NO opportunity to connect to WiFi.

Firmware 5 . 8 . 9 . 0 . 1 (3175970011)

Memory 2850Mb.

Hope that helps those trying to figure stuff out.

Looks like memory had had a boost against my PW2 S that's showing 1062Mb but obviously that's with some content loaded on it.

On charge at the moment so not used, will post back with knowledge thoughts over next few days.
I have one for you. Letter mailed July 5, arrived yesterday. Letter mailed either July 11 or 12 arrived today. Both were from the same place, and going to the same place.
Note they were the same exact everything except the writing on the inside.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:52 AM   #18
happysnapper22
Connoisseur
happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2 & PW3
Early days and I'll comment more when I've spent most time with the PW3 and when I've had chance to go back to the PW2 for another side by side.

Text on PW3 is slightly sharper and crisper.
Page background isn't much different.

So if you have a PW2 should you u/g to PW3? At full price £119? IMHO NO the difference isn't enough. If you have a PW2 or lower model on Ballance YES.

I got my PW3 on Prime Day at £90 my old PW2 will go to daughter so at moment 50/50 a keeper.

PW3 v Voyage. The KV screen is noticeably better.

More in a few days.
happysnapper22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:56 AM   #19
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I seem to remember having the same impression that you did. I felt that 167 ppi to 212 ppi was a significant increase but 212 ppi to 300 ppi was subtle. The PW 2 used a Carta screen right? So the only difference in contrast should be due to generous manufacturing tolerances.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 12:54 PM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A significant difference, though, is the increase from 2GB to 4GB storage for people with large ebook libraries.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:23 PM   #21
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
And, when I got my PW3 I had my PW2 as a backup. Actually, I alternated between the two and liked it well enough that I gave my PW2 to a student and got a second PW3.

Now, I'm waiting for PW4. Six LED lights instead of four. USB C with fast charging instead of USB micro with slow charging. It will be sweet.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:44 AM   #22
TheZephyr
TheZephyr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Ey guys I just bought a Voyage. If you still need info about what firmware comes with I'll post it here when it arrives tomorrow.
TheZephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:03 AM   #23
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZephyr View Post
Ey guys I just bought a Voyage. If you still need info about what firmware comes with I'll post it here when it arrives tomorrow.
Yes, please post.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:38 AM   #24
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Now, I'm waiting for PW4. Six LED lights instead of four. USB C with fast charging instead of USB micro with slow charging. It will be sweet.
So if all they do is shrink the bezel I guess you won't buy then?
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:45 AM   #25
TheZephyr
TheZephyr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Yes, please post.
http://imgur.com/KUej2rk

There you go. Hope all the information you need is in there, if not don't hesitate to ask me!

Sorry it took one day more, I couldn't get the device yesterday

Last edited by TheZephyr; 07-19-2017 at 10:24 AM. Reason: serial number
TheZephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:17 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZephyr View Post
There you go. Hope all the information you need is in there, if not don't hesitate to ask me!

Sorry it took one day more, I couldn't get the device yesterday
I really wouldn't publicly post the full serial number of your Kindle. Not a good idea at all.

Last edited by HarryT; 07-20-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:54 AM   #27
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I really wouldn't publicly post the full serial number of your Kindle. Not a good idea at all.
All I saw was the firmware and build. No serial number.
So I guess the OP has cropped the photo.

@knc1 the Voyage was shipped with 5.8.7.0.1 (3115940037)

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 07-19-2017 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Couldn't read my own printing for the last 2 digits
Old 07-19-2017, 01:13 PM   #28
jmontano
Enthusiast
jmontano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmontano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmontano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmontano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmontano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmontano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmontano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmontano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmontano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmontano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmontano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
All I saw was the firmware and build. No serial number.
So I guess the OP has cropped the photo.

@knc1 the Voyage was shipped with 5.8.7.0.1 (3115940037)
"Número de serie" = Serial number
It still appears here: http://i.imgur.com/ynKDSTS.jpg
jmontano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:47 PM   #29
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontano View Post
"Número de serie" = Serial number
It still appears here:XXXXXXXX
Please, both of you, remove the links in your posts to the image showing the full serial number.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:15 PM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Done.