Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-17-2006, 03:11 AM   #1
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor
Stuart Young has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: e61i / Eee PC / PRS-505
Why aren't e-books more successful? - by Walt Crawford

This is the 2nd piece we've posted from Walt Crawford recently. This time the topic of discussion is one which is probably on the lips of serveral Sony execs.

Quote:
So what happened? If you believe the International Digital Publishing Forum, 2005 worldwide ebook sales were up 23% from 2004—to just under $12 million, considerably less than Forrester's or Accenture's projections. By comparison, the total U.S. book publishing market was between $25.1 and $31.6 billion—up more than a billion from the previous year. Worldwide ebook sales represent about 1% of the increase in U.S. book sales—but less than one-twentieth of one percent of total U.S. book sales. In other words, ebook sales might just amount to a rounding error in overall book sales.
Read the rest of the article here.

Oh and for all those who wonder 'Why Aren’t Ebooks More Successful?' it's because these folks haven't released an e-ink device yet. (biased naaaah)
Stuart Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:16 AM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I agree. An Apple e-ink would be so Cooooool!

When they get it out it will be color fer shure!

Has anybody seen legalese movements for text acquisition by Apple ?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2006, 09:24 AM   #3
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I think Apple getting into e-books is like the mythical Mac Tablet or the iPhone.

Maybe I will be proven wrong on the iPhone at some point, but I just don't see Apple getting into a market they would have so little control of.

I think it more likely that Apple would just add electronic texts to the iPod so they have another bullet point of features, but even then I can't see how they'd make the user interface attractive in that instance.
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:32 AM   #4
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor
Stuart Young has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: e61i / Eee PC / PRS-505
I wasnt intending this to be an Apple'esque thread. Ipods or any portable media player great. But I do like some devices to remain unique.. e.g. I love the idea of a dedicated ebook reader like the PRS-500. - I must be getting old or something.
Stuart Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:56 AM   #5
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Young
I wasnt intending this to be an Apple'esque thread. Ipods or any portable media player great. But I do like some devices to remain unique.. e.g. I love the idea of a dedicated ebook reader like the PRS-500. - I must be getting old or somethig.
You're right Stuart.
Take cars for instance, if you need a truck to carry stuff, you use a truck, not a car. To get from point a to point b you use a car because fuel is wasted with a truck. To me the mix of both like SUVs is total waste because it does not do both adequately.

I like my gadgets dedicated.
Advert
Old 10-17-2006, 10:56 AM   #6
Jake
Renaissance Man
Jake began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Amen to that - not to dis' other members who are passionate about reading on multi-functional PDA's etc. but since getting a Sony Reader I honestly can say I would never go back. For me it is night and day. Despite some shortcomings, the 'dedicated reader' features - screen, size, bookmarks, battery life etc. really win out. Reading this morning over coffee at a local place, I realized it's almost like a totallly different personalized reading experience. From a marketing standpoint, the hard part (I imagine) is most probably coaxing an increasingly non-literate public to try e-books.

I recently spoke with a young man (college educated etc.) who actually believes that books in general are absolutely un-necessary. He gets all the information he needs (so he thinks) from other media (internet, video, audio etc.). He is not unintelligent and had well-thought out (and utterly wrong of course ) reasoning for his views. Some days I think he might be representative of his generation and others I think and hope not. I certainly do not believe that e-books alone will entice non-readers back into the reading fold. How sad though, if 20 years from now, absolutely perfect, low-cost digital books and readers appear and no-one around who cares to read anymore. A whole generation lost to video screens. ah well...
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:07 AM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Probably a kid stuck in the "Dick and Jane" saga. I often wonder what happened to them?
Old 10-17-2006, 11:44 AM   #8
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

I think eBooks will succeed because the industry wants it to happen. Yes, it may take several generations of devices and content developers, but ultimately this is what they want to happen. Rarely does a company come out with a revolutionary idea that catches on immediately (the original Palm Pilot would be an exception). For the rest, it takes a long, long time. Very few people actually envisioned back in the late 1940s and early 1950s that I'd have a need or a want for a MacBook. Nor did they envision people running entire daily lives in Terminal Services sessions from their homes.

Ebooks will happen.
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:07 PM   #9
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
I think you are all missing the point that Crawford (and others) make: the printed book works, so why switch? Over and over I keep hearing from the computer crowd that ereaders are terrific because they allow us to carry several (80, I think, on the Sony reader) books at once. So what! Virtually everyone I know who reads (my wife, my daughter and I are long-time readers) reads ONE BOOK at a time, ok maybe two. So what difference does it make that I can carry many? Absolutely none. Nor do most people care about changing fonts, darkening type, etc... It is this contentment with what exists that stands in the way of success for ebooks, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:15 PM   #10
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp
I think you are all missing the point that Crawford (and others) make: the printed book works, so why switch? Over and over I keep hearing from the computer crowd that ereaders are terrific because they allow us to carry several (80, I think, on the Sony reader) books at once. So what! Virtually everyone I know who reads (my wife, my daughter and I are long-time readers) reads ONE BOOK at a time, ok maybe two. So what difference does it make that I can carry many? Absolutely none. Nor do most people care about changing fonts, darkening type, etc... It is this contentment with what exists that stands in the way of success for ebooks, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Depends... I usually read about two or three books at the same time, dipping into them when I feel like it. With the Illiad I can take them where-ever I go... And as a developer I refer to paper books... With the Illiad they can all fit on one device, rather than needing a whole bookcase...!
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:20 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Yah, jęd, but radleyp's point is that we're not exactly typical.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:22 PM   #12
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

You can not change from paper to e-books (I hate the p-book word ) completely. Paper is the back-up. Never forget it. E-books are only a practical, temporary state of the book. I favor having both.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:14 PM   #13
Launchpd
Launchpd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-500
"So what difference does it make that I can carry many?" Simple answer: ever finish a book whan you're not at home?
"Nor do most people care about changing fonts, darkening type, etc... ". Just wait until you're 60. You'll care a lot!
Launchpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:31 PM   #14
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcv
Rarely does a company come out with a revolutionary idea that catches on immediately (the original Palm Pilot would be an exception). For the rest, it takes a long, long time.
I think PDAs are a good comparision to eBook Readers, but the opposite of what you describe. The Palm Pilot did not come out until 1996, before that there were many generations of PDAs (Apple coined the term in 1992 with the Newton) going back to the 70s. Psion Organiser in 1984, Sharp Wizard in 1992, AT&T EO in 1993, etc... The Palm Pilot brought in a lot of consumer acceptance, it broke the barrier of price/ease-of-use/marketing/timeliness. There will be an eReader that does this too. Might even be the Sony Reader if they actually make the Connect store an eBook version of iTunes.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:36 PM   #15
mickeymammoth
mickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Forma
I think book storage is big issue for many of us. I like paper books, but I don't have room for them all. Plus, I like instant gratification of being able to download a book and not have to order it or go to the store. I think they have a point, though; MP3 players worked for the above reasons, for sure, but also because people actually want a lot of choice of what music to listen to when they're out and about. That will never be exactly the same for books. Maybe what we're really waiting for is an e-reader/web browser/PC that has the amazing e-ink-like screen technology, but in color and without the weird redraw issues. When that convergence happens, I think ebooks will take off.
mickeymammoth is offline   Reply With Quote