Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-14-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Tinkering With Coolreader CSS (and Some Original Reading For Yew)

All of the five Coolreader CSS files...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cren...ar.gz/download

...appear to be exactly the same. Yet the reader is reacting differently to each one.

If yew load an FB2 file, the top of the screen shows author and book name.

If yew load a TXT file, the top of the screen shows the title of the TXT file.

If yew load an HTML file, the top of the screen shows nothing at all.

I am thinking this has to do with metadata, but I can't find anything in the CSS files that would allow yew to configure this so it is more universal.

The good news is these files have definitely solved my double spacing between paragraph problems. (Yay, Dave-S!) I have also found how to change the paragraph indent and text justification.

Contrary to what was reported earlier, I have found that even with the CSS operative, the user settings still function. So yew can set a font in the CSS file and override it. At least *I* am able to. But then who knows I may be something wrong!

I am trying to find how to add just ONE SPACE between paragraphs, but no luck so far. I'm a writer, not a programmer. (Despite my best attempts, no luck getting the publisher to release my work as ebooks. But it hasn't been for the lack of trying!)

I'd also like the title at the top to show the title of the file regardless of what type of file it is, but no luck there so far, either.

Maybe if some of us keep tinkering with the CSS, we can post links? That would be fun.

I have put an email into the people at Coolreader asking for documentation of the CSS files. If I hear back from them, I will let yew know.

NOTE: The link below is to some ZIP files from my website.

One file is some promotional items from the two books (including the one of the left), while the other file contains the entire 11 issue run of the column I wrote for the "Autism at Home Series" between 2008 and 2009. The Autism at Home Series files are in the order they were published and are in PDF format as submitted to the publisher.

Also there are some published personal interviews I have done and a several newspaper articles written about me around the country.

http://www.thomasamckean.com/gallery...s.php?album=76

Last edited by ThomasMcKean; 03-14-2010 at 09:08 PM.
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

For those looking for the command to space between paragraphs, it is in the second line of the CSS files. You have a choice of margin-top or margin-bottom. The second line starts with a "p" and that stands for paragraph. So the top and bottom "margins" of the paragraphs are actually the spacing. Figuring out CSS is like trying to find something in the yellow pages. Yew have to think very differently.

Mine is currently set up as follows.

p { text-align: justify; text-indent: 0.5em; margin-top:0em; margin-bottom: 0.5em }

As I am sure we all have a different taste in reading, yew may want yours different than mine. The example above gives one half space between paragraphs with a very small (but noticeable) indent following on the nest paragraph. I have it like this because the spacing between lines is set to 120% so the document is easier to read. So putting an entire space at 120% would leave too large of a space between paragraphs.
Advert
Old 03-15-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMcKean View Post
Contrary to what was reported earlier, I have found that even with the CSS operative, the user settings still function. So yew can set a font in the CSS file and override it. At least *I* am able to. But then who knows I may be something wrong!
I just discovered that too!!!

When I initially load a book (FB2 in my case), the book displays using the settings in my default CSS file. However, if I go into the user interface menus and make a change, that change overrides the CSS setting. I have not checked if that override persists after closing and reopening the book. Have you checked that?
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I just discovered that too!!!

When I initially load a book (FB2 in my case), the book displays using the settings in my default CSS file. However, if I go into the user interface menus and make a change, that change overrides the CSS setting. I have not checked if that override persists after closing and reopening the book. Have you checked that?
The difference is if yew the "preformatted text" in the settings on or off. If it is off, yew can change. If it is on, yew can't.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
The difference is if yew the "preformatted text" in the settings on or off. If it is off, yew can change. If it is on, yew can't.
I have wondered for a while why you call everyone a baby sheep?
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2010, 03:07 PM   #6
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:

Thank you very much!!! I have always wondered why CoolReader had that "preformatted text" option, but it makes perfect sense now with your explanation.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:10 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
ewes ? Adult female sheep. Lambs are baby sheep.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #8
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I thought a yew was a tree? I'm not calling everyone sheep, I am calling them trees! I mean, come on! Trees make much more sense!
Old 03-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
ewes ? Adult female sheep. Lambs are baby sheep.
You are right, I forgot when it was out of context. It is pronounce the same as he spelled it, not like you.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:17 PM   #10
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Thank you very much!!! I have always wondered why CoolReader had that "preformatted text" option, but it makes perfect sense now with your explanation.
Well, yew solved my double spaces problem by pointing to the CSS files, so now we are even.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:06 PM   #11
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
How does one adjust their fb2.css to force the use of a particular font?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:04 AM   #12
kdf9511
Madman With A Box
kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Nook Glowlight, Nook Color, Kindle 4, Astak Pocket Pro
Quote:
For those looking for the command to space between paragraphs, it is in the second line of the CSS files. You have a choice of margin-top or margin-bottom. The second line starts with a "p" and that stands for paragraph. So the top and bottom "margins" of the paragraphs are actually the spacing. Figuring out CSS is like trying to find something in the yellow pages. Yew have to think very differently.

Mine is currently set up as follows.

p { text-align: justify; text-indent: 0.5em; margin-top:0em; margin-bottom: 0.5em }

As I am sure we all have a different taste in reading, yew may want yours different than mine. The example above gives one half space between paragraphs with a very small (but noticeable) indent following on the nest paragraph. I have it like this because the spacing between lines is set to 120% so the document is easier to read. So putting an entire space at 120% would leave too large of a space between paragraphs.

I have been playing with this whole Coolreader thing for epubs and want to say thank you for this tidbit of info. I changed my css to match that and it is just right. I have my line space set for 100% and find it just right and I like the smaller indent much better.
kdf9511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:30 AM   #13
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf9511 View Post
I have been playing with this whole Coolreader thing for epubs and want to say thank you for this tidbit of info. I changed my css to match that and it is just right. I have my line space set for 100% and find it just right and I like the smaller indent much better.
I ended up changing my spacing to 110%.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:59 PM   #14
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Rather than starting a new thread I decided to resurrect this old one.

I have a swag of fb2 files I've created by using calibre to convert from epub. The files work great except chapter headings are styled just like normal paragraph text. What I am wanting is to have the chapter headings in bold.

Now I used the fb2.css from the crengine website and that solved the problem, but created another, page turns went from a fraction of a second to 4-5 seconds, so obviously there is an issue with the fb2.css file I used.

So, can someone post their fb2.css files that work flawlessly on the PP without the issue I'm experiencing of page turns? Alternatively is there another option to have to chapter headings display as bold, perhaps forcing Calibre to do something magical?

In the .fb2 files the chapter headings are surrounded by the strong /strong tags, so the solution I am after is one that does not involve editing each individual file by hand (I have a few).
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:33 AM   #15
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Someone posted a set of coolreader setup files here recently. I am using them, and just renaming epubs to fb2, and I am getting fast page turns and chapter headings in large bold font, different to body text. (using Lbook firmware)
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote