Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-21-2009, 11:37 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, but I bet a lot of Kindle owners would happily pay $100 for folders. The Bookeen devices are one of the relatively few that actually have them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #17
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, but I bet a lot of Kindle owners would happily pay $100 for folders. The Bookeen devices are one of the relatively few that actually have them.
I sure as heck wouldn't! Especially if I loose access to the Kindle book store and free Wikipedia access.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah well; it's good that people have the choice.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:49 AM   #19
Spectrum
Zealot
Spectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad 1 and iPad 4, KF HD 8.9"
Specifications

Formats

* ALL Adobe Digital Editions DRM and non-DRM eBooks
* PalmDoc (NOT pdb)
* HTML
* TXT
* MP3

Full Specs:

Weight: 6.13 ounces - battery included (Compare to Kindle at 10.2 ounces, at Sony 8.8 ounces, Iliad at 13.7 ounces)

Size: 4.7" x 7.4" x 0.3"

Screen: 6" E Ink Vizplex screen, 600 x 800 pixels, 166 dpi, B&W, 10 greyscale, Daylight readable, No backlight, Portrait and landscape mode

Controls: Buttons "ON/OFF", "Up ", "Down", "Right ", "Left", "Enter ", "Delete", "Menu", "Music"...

Operating System: Embedded Linux

Battery: Rechargeable built-in Li-Polymer battery (1000 mAh), 8,000 screen refresh battery life

USB port - for syncing with your PC (can copy files from Mac and transfer via SD card or other storage - will not sync with Mac)

SD card slot - for storing GBs of books, music and audiobooks (BooksOnBoard audiobooks must be copied to CD and uploaded in order to listen on Cybook)

Storage memory: 1 GB (plus SD card capacity)

Connectivity: USB Client (v2.0) - Mini USB B connector

Software suite:

o Bookeen Multi-format eBook reader
o Supported image formats: JPG, GIF, PNG
o Supported sound format: MP3
Available for shipment in the US and Canada only
Spectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:52 AM   #20
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
USB port - for syncing with your PC (can copy files from Mac and transfer via SD card or other storage - will not sync with Mac)
Really, ADE for Mac will not work with the CyBook? doesn't the Opus work with it?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2009, 11:54 AM   #21
markbond1007
Connoisseur
markbond1007 doesn't littermarkbond1007 doesn't litter

Device: CyBook Gen3, Sony PRS-600
Maybe its the glass screen that BoB is retrofitting to the CyBook that is costing the extra $100?

(and just in case anyone misses it, yes I'm being sarcastic ;-) )

Mark
markbond1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:02 PM   #22
KoopaOne
Austrian Bookworm
KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4
Once a device from bookeen, never again. Their support is ridiculous and the Gen3 Model still has many of the same erros as on releaseday.

Frankly, I wouldn't even pay $150 for it ...
KoopaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:08 PM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoopaOne View Post
Once a device from bookeen, never again. Their support is ridiculous and the Gen3 Model still has many of the same erros as on releaseday.
Such as what, for example? I did buy a Gen3 on the day that they were released, and I'm scratching my head trying to think of any bugs that were present then that were not fixed in one of the 3 or 4 firmware updates there have been since then. Can you name some?
Old 11-21-2009, 01:47 PM   #24
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Such as what, for example? I did buy a Gen3 on the day that they were released, and I'm scratching my head trying to think of any bugs that were present then that were not fixed in one of the 3 or 4 firmware updates there have been since then. Can you name some?
Locking up every few days if you don't disable auto shutdown? I liked my Gen3. It offered a lot of control over the layout of the books I read, supported mobi dictionaries, and allowed me to read library books. If they kept up with mobi support, it would still be a good value. But 350 for a generic ADE ereader that offers less than the other readers do? Why should I buy this cybook gold when I can get a pocketbook with the same hardware, superior firmware ( whcich does have dictionary support under ADE, which allows annotation, supports more formats, and has more layout options than even the mobi Gen3), and an 80 dollar cheaper price? Oh, and it doesn't lock up and has folder support. If I want 5 inch device, I can get a pocketbook 360 for 110 dollars less and roughly the same price as the opus. What is Bookeen offering that I can't get elsewhere cheaper and with better customer service?

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:05 PM   #25
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
What less a Cybook does offer from other devices? (expect from touch enabled devices)

I thinks the spec that BoB show are a bad mix between the Opus and the Gen3
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:34 PM   #26
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
The Astak Mentor is $239. Isn't that basically the same device?
Yes, and it also comes with a case. The Gold does have 1GB, vs 512MB, of internal memory.

Bookeen is providing their own firmware, but since everyone is now using Adobe Digital Editions this seems less important than before. PocketBook also uses Netronix hardware with their own firmware, but they support FB2, TXT, RTF, HTML, PRC, CHM, DJVU, DOC, and TCR ebook formats in addition to ePub and PDF. They also claim to have made significant enhancements over ADE as used on other devices, although these are not available yet. Bookeen, by comparison, has a relatively standard ADE implementation, although zoom for PDF is unusual.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:56 PM   #27
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
What less a Cybook does offer from other devices? (expect from touch enabled devices)

I thinks the spec that BoB show are a bad mix between the Opus and the Gen3
No dictionary support, no annotation support, less control over the layout, and more unstable firmware, at least compared to the pocketbook. And it costs more for these readers. Bookeen is no longer the premier European ebook manufacturer. Bebook, Pocketbook, and LBook are going to eat them alive if they don't adapt. The Opus was a step in the right direction, but they can't rest easy when other companies (especially those from Eastern Europe) are showing more initiative.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:34 PM   #28
Godzil
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Bebook is not a manufacturer. Pocketbook does not have any DRM support. I don't know any other device as the PRS 600 that are able to use Adobe DRM and have a dictionary. But the PRS600 is not updatable for them, you can't choose.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:37 PM   #29
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
Bebook is not a manufacturer. Pocketbook does not have any DRM support. I don't know any other device as the PRS 600 that are able to use Adobe DRM and have a dictionary. But the PRS600 is not updatable for them, you can't choose.
Pocketbook has support for DRM with EPUB .

Last edited by Forkosigan; 11-21-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:02 PM   #30
Godzil

Not actually, they don't have.