Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-07-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Sprint Launches Palm Pre

Sprint and Palm launched their new Pre smartphone this weekend. This is the Palm answer to Apple's iPhone and Google's Android. Sprint spokesmen are saying that they may run out of the phones before resupply reaches the stores. How much is real and how much is hype is hard to say.

The phone lists for $549.99 (let's say $550.) They have an instant savings of $250 and $100 mail in rebate if you agree to a two (2) year contract. This brings the price down to $200 for new lines or if you are eligible for an upgrade on your existing phone.

My current cell phone is the Samsung i500 with Palm 4.1 OS from 2004. This seemed like a good time to upgrade and a phone that would meet my needs. Today I wandered by my local Sprint store (I have used Sprint as my cell carrier for many years) and they said that they had sold out of their initial allocation on Saturday and already had a waiting list.

Earlier MobileRead coverage and discussion of the Palm Pre is here.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:58 AM   #2
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
you thought you could mosey on down to a sprint store and pick up a pre? ha, lol.

all I've been reading about was shortages every where, bestbuys only getting 2-3 phones a store on average, spints only getting 5-10, flagships and popular stores still getting less than 20.

its really understocked. and there seems that their might be a fair share of defects based on some reports(most reports could by uneven gradients to make people think there are backlighting or heat issues affecting the screen.

hey, the pre is good. but damn, the first person started waiting online 6 days before launch. and they have been sold out almost everywhere from just the waiting lines outside.

I hope you don't have to wait too long to get one though. shipments seem to be enroute
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I got mine on Saturday (though I didn't show up at the store till 8:45). So far I'm loving it, but wish I could get eReader for it! I downloaded Shortcovers, which I don't like a bit.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:02 AM   #4
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Wood,
Did you get your Pre? I want to trade in my flip phone for a PDA type of phone that I can sync with MS Outlook. I currently have both an HP PDA and a phone and would like to combine the two to lessen the weight of my purse. I feel like I'm lugging around a bowling ball!

I have narrowed my choices down to the Pre and the Blackberry Curve but just can't make up my mind. I read the Engadget review on the Pre and it does sound really good, but the additional monthly cost of the data plan I would have to add is high enough that I question whether I really need the Pre. Although, that has never really stopped me in the past when it comes to getting a new gadget!

I was in the Fairfax store this weekend and kept gravitating back to Pre display even though the girl kept directing me back to the Blackberry! I am so easily distracted by shiny things!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote