Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-28-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
kit444
kit444 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Converting Stageplays to eBooks?

I'm considering getting a Kindle 2 (probably will, in fact). One of the reasons I would like to get one is that I read a lot of scripts for plays for the theatre company I'm involved with. It would be nice to port the digital copies to a Kindle instead of printing all that paper. I've been playing around with Mobi and Calibre to convert PDF copies of my scripts to a Kindle-friendly format. Unfortunately, it loses all of the formatting (character names in the center, action indented 3 inches, etc.) that is customary for a script. It justifies everything to the left margin.

Is there a way (preferably with minimum hassle, as I sometimes have to read hundreds of scripts) to convert a PDF or Word script document and maintain the formatting?

Thanks in advance.
kit444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:30 PM   #2
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
See the recent thread Kindle 2 and PDFRead 1.8 which discusses converting .pdf scripts to images, primarily in portrait mode.

Of course, it would be much better, if you can print the Stageplays again from your source document directly into .prc and by-passing the .pdf stage altogether. I'd recommend using Mobipocket Creator for this.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
kit444
kit444 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
See the recent thread Kindle 2 and PDFRead 1.8 which discusses converting .pdf scripts to images, primarily in portrait mode.

Of course, it would be much better, if you can print the Stageplays again from your source document directly into .prc and by-passing the .pdf stage altogether. I'd recommend using Mobipocket Creator for this.
I saw that thread. It was very helpful. Final Draft will let you export to a HTML file that Mobipocket Creator can read. I'm more interested in converting a script from another writer that's already in PDF.
kit444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by kit444 View Post
I saw that thread. It was very helpful. Final Draft will let you export to a HTML file that Mobipocket Creator can read. I'm more interested in converting a script from another writer that's already in PDF.
If the script was prepared by a word processor using a standard font, then Mobipocket Creator can also import the .pdf file and convert it (i.e. via OCR) into words/text that can reflow quite well.

I have purchased unencrypted .pdf ebooks that were printed from MS Word or equivalent and the entire .pdf transformed nicely into .prc (and then to .html for conversion to my reader's own format).

I do like the 'exact copy' that PDFRead produces, but it truly is best used when formatting/fonts/text positioning are complex. Otherwise, I usually find other methods.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stageplays