Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-13-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Kindle Fire HD battery dead

I haven't used the KFHD in probably 4-5 days, maybe more. I go to turn it on and nothing. I hit the power button and it shows a red line on the battery.

I plugged it in and it shows 2% now and it will take over 6 hours to charge.

I have let Kindles of many kinds sit for weeks, and months, and the battery does not die.

This has a cover that puts it to sleep. What gives? The wifi was not on.

I have only had this 40 days or so. Is this normal?

Last edited by new; 12-13-2012 at 11:51 PM. Reason: typo
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:33 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

It is probably not dead, just discharged. Plug it in and charge it overnight.

Android is bad about allowing apps to stay active even when you think they are closed and even when the Fire is supposedly asleep. Some apps will periodically awaken the Fire and try to phone home so-to-speak to acquire data. If the WiFi is on it will phone home, if the WiFi is off it will still try to phone home. This can easily cause the Fire to discharge the battery even when supposedly asleep.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-13-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Advert
Old 12-13-2012, 11:41 PM   #3
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Yeah, have had this happen to me too on my phone. Should be okay in the morning if you leave it to charge.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #4
new
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. I guess I am use to my regular ereaders lasting and lasting and lasting.....

I have android app killer or something like that I put on my SGP5, guess I am going to put it on the KFHD too.

Forgot about that blasted apps still wasting battery juice.

I have read it can damage batteries doing a complete drain. Hope not. Past my 30 days.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #5
Alberich
Alberich began at the beginning.

Device: KF, KFHD 8.9", iPad2
What is the temperature range your Kindle HD operate. Did you charge it outdoor or in cold room (below 60F)?
Alberich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2012, 11:59 PM   #6
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberich View Post
What is the temperature range your Kindle HD operate. Did you charge it outdoor or in cold room (below 60F)?
No temperature is indoor room temp comfortable.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:59 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

It can damage the battery especially if it happens a lot, but you are probably okay. My darn Android phone will do that a lot if I'm not very watchful. It can go from 90% charge at bedtime to 10% overnight while I sleep!
Old 12-14-2012, 06:40 AM   #8
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Agree with all said in the posts above. I have found that if the WiFi is left on it will check e-mails even if it is in sleep mode, along with other app's. So best practice is to turn it OFF (WiFi radio) if you are not sure if you are going to use it anytime soon.

Another way I have found is to hook my kfhd to my computer usb. Yes it is not the recommended power supply but I have found for leaving the WiFi radio on and in sleep/standby mode the fire will trickle charge at a much slower rate and not drain the battery. On low power usb supply's the kfhd may have problems if you try and use it for tasks that use the screen (power vampire) but is just fine for sleep mode with WiFi on to keep background app's running like the mail app and still slowly charge up the unit.

Last edited by DustyDisks; 12-14-2012 at 06:42 AM.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
The firmware for the KFHD7-32 was just updated to 7.2.3 last night. Always leave WiFi on when charging and syncing and off at all other times.

An update uses lots of power and it should be connected to the power main when doing it.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #10
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Plug into the wal should only take 2 hrs to charge. I kill my battery a lot LOL & No Matter where you purchsed it the Amazon Warrenty is good for a Year!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #11
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
My battery is at 68 degrees Fahrenheit and 4.091 Volts per GSam. You can charge to 80% in just 2 and one half hours but it takes 5 hours to get to 100% from a 15% charge but could take 6 hours from a 5% charge per GSam actual results.

The overnight firmware update for the Kindle Fire HD probably drained your battery. You should have WiFi on when charging so any updates have sufficient power. The firmware is now at 7.2.3.

I find with WiFi on all the time I get 5 and one half hours to drop from 100% to 15% but get 7 hours for the same drop with WiFi off all the time except for syncing and charging.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-14-2012 at 01:15 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Any luck on charging? Call support if it's still deadish.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #13
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultBoy View Post
Any luck on charging? Call support if it's still deadish.
Yes it back to 100% again.

I think mine is still 7.2.1 version
Old 12-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #14
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
You can check your version: Bring down the window shade, choose MORE then DEVICE and then ABOUT.

You can see the software version there. If your software updates when you aren't looking, you'll never know.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #15
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
You can check your version: Bring down the window shade, choose MORE then DEVICE and then ABOUT.

You can see the software version there. If your software updates when you aren't looking, you'll never know.
The firmware is now at 7.2.3

That is cute bring down the window shade.

Do you think that killed my battery? I don't leave wi-fi on, only turn it on for short periods of time per use.

I did notice kindle freetime or whatever it is called for kids. Irritates me I can't delete it. Don't want it.