Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 02-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
Careermama
Edge User

audio recorder

I received my edge and have started using it in college. I recorded my chem lectures today. But if I try to do anything on the tabletside it stops recording. This is if I even try to use journal info to switch tabs. I only. Have had the edge since Tuesday so was wondering if there was a setting to record in background or a different ap that will let me

Old 02-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Apparently this is another feature we need to wait for, you can not multi-task on 1.6. However I could do it on my Android phone running Froyo. I used an app called voice recorder, switched to another app and back and it was still recording.

Advert
Old 02-10-2011, 12:59 AM   #3
onebrokenneck
Edge User

This seems funny to me since multitasking has been the big feature Android had over iCr@p since at least 1.6 but I'm pretty sure it was always there. My G1 before rooting and hacking to 2.2 had no problems multitasking (still has no problems on CM6.1 Froyo). Same with the edge. I routinely use the stock Audio Recorder app on my EE for recording 2-3 hour lectures while surfing the web or using my textbooks, documents, taking notes, etc... on the e-ink side. Multitask via the following:

1. After you start the Audio Recorder app (or any other app), hit the home button.
2. The recording will continue in the background and allow you to proceed with other stuff.
3. When you want to get back to the Audi Recorder, hold the home button for 3 seconds to get a pop-up window
4. Tap on the Audio Recorder icon.
5. Pause, stop, etc...
6. Click on book+ icon in the upper right corner of the Audio Recorder to add the recording to your library.

Android 1.6 only shows your last six applications in the pop-up window. If you happened to open more than that during your multitasking, just open the app from the app menu. If you are running something like ATK (Advanced Task Killer), make sure the Audio Recorder app is on the white list or ignore list.

The only time I have problems with it is if I let it go to sleep while recording. If I'm not actively using the e-ink or tablet side, I just turn on the table side every 10-15 minutes and then hit the Screen Lock shortcut I added to the desktop. For whatever reason, the device can go into suspend mode when open and running the Audio Recorder app. I find that rather annoying but my workaround isn't too bad.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:23 AM   #4
cheyennedonna
Edge User

I never figured that trick out, thanks. I was using the back button which kept shutting off the recorder.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:39 AM   #5
sjarrel
Edge User

"For whatever reason, the device can go into suspend mode when open and running the Audio Recorder app. I find that rather annoying but my workaround isn't too bad."

Recording/multitasking works fine but my eDGe keeps on recording without going into suspend mode. I don't know why yours is not.
You might connect a mini-USB cable: the device will not enter suspend mode. (according to the Help-file)

Last edited by sjarrel; 02-10-2011 at 07:39 AM.

Advert
Old 02-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
Hopi
Edge User

Multitasking fine with Audio Recorder but not with Rec & Save

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebrokenneck View Post
. Multitask via the following:

1. After you start the Audio Recorder app (or any other app), hit the home button.
2. The recording will continue in the background and allow you to proceed with other stuff.
I tried using the Rec & Save app instead of the stock Audio Recorder in class lately. You can multitask with the Audio Recorder as onebrokenneck described. However, the Rec and Save stops recording once you hit the home button. Did not bother to check so I only got 5 seconds worth out of a 2-hour seminar.