Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-02-2010, 09:51 AM   #1
randyflycaster
Zealot
randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350
Smashwords Formatting Problem for Sony

I have a book on Smashwords. When I downloaded a sample of my book through my computer the book looked fine.

Recently I bought a Sony ereader. When I downloaded my book onto it in both Sony and epub format there were spaces between some of paragraphs, but not between others.

This, I believe, makes reading difficult.

When I bought the Smashwords edition through the Sony store, however, the formatting was fine.

Is there anything I can do to correct this problem?

Randy Kadish

Last edited by randyflycaster; 11-02-2010 at 10:26 AM.
randyflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Did you follow their style guide to the "T"? Usually that seems to solve most of the issues and hiccups
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 02:10 AM   #3
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Yes, the reader makes a difference to how the file appears. The same epub file will look different depending on the reader and the settings. I haven't had a problem with different spacing between paragraphs though. It sounds like a formatting error. If the paragraphs aren't consistent, I'd say you go back to your word doc and select all. Then go to Format --> Paragraph and choose a first line indent or a trailing space.

If you've already done that, then I have no idea.
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:10 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Some stores now ask that cover, front matter and each chapter be uploaded as a separate file. Perhaps the problem might lie there. I do know that my own tech side has split files and is uploading this way to at least two retail outlets. Good luck and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
randyflycaster
Zealot
randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350
I reformatted following the the Smashwords style guide.

Still, I'm having the same problem. Everything looks fine on my computer, but then when I upload it to my Sony ereader there are spaces between some paragraphs.

Randy

Last edited by randyflycaster; 11-03-2010 at 02:05 PM.
randyflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert