Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-13-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
feltonjohn
feltonjohn began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
scanned to ebook for iphone

Since this is my first post, hello and thanks in advance for your patience. I thought it would be nice to have one of my favorite books available on the iphone (Stanza). The book in question, God in the Dock by CS Lewis does not seem to be available in ebook format so I bought a new copy, had the spine cut off, and ran 346 pages through a sheetfeed scanner creating a PDF. After using Acrobat to OCR it, Caliber is able to import the readable PDF and export as ePub for transfer to the iphone via Stanza. This all works pretty well even though it takes a lot of time. My question is about creating chapters because without them the book is difficult to navigate and just not so much fun. I read many posts on the ePub section of the forum, but that stuff is too far over my head to understand. Can anyone point me to a more step by step process? The book is divided into 3 parts with each part having 23, 16 and 9 chapters respectively. Thanks again for any help.
feltonjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:56 PM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
you might want to direct this at the calibre forum.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
welcome to mobileread, feltonjohn!

As scottjl mentioned, the Calibre forum might have more conversion-savvy users for this case-I have used Sigil to add Chapter breaks-it has a WYSIWYG interface for editing ePubs, and conveniently, also has a forum here!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
kurtjunsh
kurtjunsh began at the beginning.

Device: p990i
God in the dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by feltonjohn View Post
Since this is my first post, hello and thanks in advance for your patience. I thought it would be nice to have one of my favorite books available on the iphone (Stanza). The book in question, God in the Dock by CS Lewis does not seem to be available in ebook format so I bought a new copy, had the spine cut off, and ran 346 pages through a sheetfeed scanner creating a PDF. After using Acrobat to OCR it, Caliber is able to import the readable PDF and export as ePub for transfer to the iphone via Stanza. This all works pretty well even though it takes a lot of time. My question is about creating chapters because without them the book is difficult to navigate and just not so much fun. I read many posts on the ePub section of the forum, but that stuff is too far over my head to understand. Can anyone point me to a more step by step process? The book is divided into 3 parts with each part having 23, 16 and 9 chapters respectively. Thanks again for any help.

Hi,

I was wondering if you have a publicly available version of that book? I'm really trying to get to know Catholic Faith and they said that that is a good book..

Thanks so much.

Cheers!

Kurt
kurtjunsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
feltonjohn
feltonjohn began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
I had to order on line as the local stores do not stock it. Obviously I think it is a pretty good book, or I would't be going to all this trouble. I am not sure that it relates a lot to the Catholic faith though. I think Lewis was Church of England or Episcopalian, not Catholic.
feltonjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
epub, iphone, scanning, toc