Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #1
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Just got a new toy PRS-600 (Modem Burner) Lotsa pics

So after the big release info, I called my local SonyStyle Store and asked if they had one in stock, they only had black (My choice ) so I asked them to hold it and drove on over before work. I got in my car and took some unboxing photos on my Blackberry........

Don't know how to embed photos so the element of surprise is gone

Anyway, PRS-600, excellent device so far in my hour of ownership. The clarity is fine....seems to me just about as good as the 505, I showed comparisons in the photos, I am hoping they get a stock of covers soon as the pouch is nice, but won't cut it. I will post more later as I am at work....just wanted to pop in my post

By the way mods.....when a PRS-600 section is made, please move
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bag.jpg
Views:	884
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	34904   Click image for larger version

Name:	package.jpg
Views:	919
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	34905   Click image for larger version

Name:	interiorbox.jpg
Views:	897
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	34906   Click image for larger version

Name:	openbox.jpg
Views:	1006
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	34907   Click image for larger version

Name:	insidebox.jpg
Views:	928
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	34908   Click image for larger version

Name:	with pouch.jpg
Views:	1017
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	34909   Click image for larger version

Name:	insidepouch.jpg
Views:	984
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	34910   Click image for larger version

Name:	compare1.jpg
Views:	1536
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	34911   Click image for larger version

Name:	clarity.jpg
Views:	1233
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	34912   Click image for larger version

Name:	comparecloseup.jpg
Views:	1377
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	34913   Click image for larger version

Name:	top.jpg
Views:	1106
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	34914   Click image for larger version

Name:	side.jpg
Views:	1101
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	34915   Click image for larger version

Name:	bottom.jpg
Views:	1101
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	34916   Click image for larger version

Name:	welcome.jpg
Views:	1147
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	34917   Click image for larger version

Name:	stylus.jpg
Views:	1159
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	34918  

Last edited by DougFNJ; 08-26-2009 at 05:06 PM.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:58 PM   #2
Mril
Mril began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy your new PRS!!!!
Mril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Congratulations!!! And thanks for the nice pictures. Glad to hear you like your new toy.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:27 PM   #4
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
WOW, the screen looks great! If the Daily Edition looks this good... and can show half screen PDFs. This is getting exciting!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You must have been excited, unboxing in the car. Thanks for the great pics. I'm waiting for more reviews on the screen. In the side to side comparison it looks like the screen on the 600 is a bit more "washed out" than the 505 but still looks nice.

I hope you let us know if you get any eye strain from reading on the 600 as opposed to the 505 and if there is significantly more glare on the 600.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:07 PM   #6
informale
informale doesn't litterinformale doesn't litterinformale doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Netronix EB600
Could you please post larger photographs?
informale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
oh, congratulations !! and thank you for the photos !!! i'm quite jealous. i wouldn't have been able to wait to unbox it either.

the screen really does look very good, that's encouraging.

i particularly like the welcome screen, translated into 4 languages, including french.

let us know how you like it, when you've had a chance to play around with it !!
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:52 PM   #8
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mril View Post
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy your new PRS!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
Congratulations!!! And thanks for the nice pictures. Glad to hear you like your new toy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
WOW, the screen looks great! If the Daily Edition looks this good... and can show half screen PDFs. This is getting exciting!
Thanks guys, much better than the PRS-700 that I tried, they are definitely giving great reason to be excited The PRS-300 looks like a miniature version of the PRS-505 by the way. Screen is smaller, but looks VERY readable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
You must have been excited, unboxing in the car. Thanks for the great pics. I'm waiting for more reviews on the screen. In the side to side comparison it looks like the screen on the 600 is a bit more "washed out" than the 505 but still looks nice.

I hope you let us know if you get any eye strain from reading on the 600 as opposed to the 505 and if there is significantly more glare on the 600.
Slightly, but it seems like it's that way because of the layer for the touch screen. I would say the reflection appears a little more pronounced than the PRS-505, like a hazy reflection, but NOTHING like the reflection off the 700. This is just glancing around it in my office though, I will post more when
I get the chance to test it in other surroundings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by informale View Post
Could you please post larger photographs?
I will do so when I get home......while I'm at it, anybody know how to embed the photos in a post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
oh, congratulations !! and thank you for the photos !!! i'm quite jealous. i wouldn't have been able to wait to unbox it either.

the screen really does look very good, that's encouraging.

i particularly like the welcome screen, translated into 4 languages, including french.

let us know how you like it, when you've had a chance to play around with it !!
The sample excerpts include various languages as well.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:55 PM   #9
informale

Quote:
I will do so when I get home......while I'm at it, anybody know how to embed the photos in a post?
Oh, just upload them anywhere and post links. I guess on this ocasion everyon one will be happy regardless of the way you embed them or link to them )))

You can try http://imageshack.us/ for quick and simple image hosting without registration.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:57 PM   #10
DougFNJ
Avid Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by informale View Post
Oh, just upload them anywhere and post links. I guess on this ocasion everyon one will be happy regardless of the way you embed them or link to them )))

You can try http://imageshack.us/ for quick and simple image hosting without registration.
Does that allow copy/paste capability so I could pop it right up there?
Old 08-25-2009, 05:00 PM   #11
informale

Quote:
It allows direct links and also generates thumbnails with links to full-size. Just upload a photo and you'll see it yourself. You'll probably want the automatically generated code for pasting into a forum post - Hotlink for forums.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:02 PM   #12
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Click "New Reply" at the bottom of the thread, or "Go Advanced" in the quick reply form. Then use "Manage Attachments" button.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:03 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
You can upload them to the MR Wiki site too... You just need to create a login to do this. As you upload files you can get the link the Wiki assign it and insert it as an image in your message.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:03 PM   #14
erictai
erictai began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700, EZ Reader, PRS-600, SmartQ 7
Congratulations, don't envy you, mine is on its way, no wonder Sony dropped 700 like piece of you know what, I forgive Sony only if they provide 700 firmware that comes with a dictionary.
erictai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:05 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictai View Post
Congratulations, don't envy you, mine is on its way, no wonder Sony dropped 700 like piece of you know what, I forgive Sony only if they provide 700 firmware that comes with a dictionary.
In all the coverage of today I saw nothing about firmware updates for the current units.

Nate... do your contacts have any info about this? Also, any info about the PRS500 "update path"... is that going to be new firmware... or another trade in offer?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote