Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #121
sombreastre
Enthusiast
sombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle 4 | kobo glo(?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
All those languages include dictionaries that translate to English or from English back to the selected language. The few that I've checked have Language X >Language X as well.
Wow, where is this? On the new kobo touch firmware?
sombreastre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:11 AM   #122
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It's been on the Touch for quite awhile--though I don't remember when it first showed up.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:13 AM   #123
sombreastre
Enthusiast
sombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheese

ok thanks. Well then, I think that about solves it, with the supported languages worries.

cheers.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #124
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sombreastre View Post
ok thanks. Well then, I think that about solves it, with the supported languages worries.

cheers.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #125
Iskariot
Zealot
Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950 Daily Edition, Kobo Aura HD
It is a mystery to me why they do not clearly list the dictionaries available on the reader. It is like they do not get what is important to their customers, or what might persuade them to buy a device.

If I produced an ereader with a rich assortment of dictionaries I would flaunt it on my websites and in every advert. I would make a big deal of it.
Iskariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #126
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
Are the dictionaries localised at all? Am I in the UK going to be stuck with a US English dictionary or can I get a British English one for my still-very-much-considering-pre-ordering Kobo Glo?
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #127
Iskariot
Zealot
Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
I didn't even realize my Sony had all of that. I just checked it out and am quite impressed!
It is very easy to access other dictionaries while reading a book.
You double tap a word you want to look up and then you can tap the name of the active dictionary in the pop-up screen at the bottom.
This opens the dictionary selection screen. Just select the dictionary you want and it shows you the result in that dictionary for the word you wanted to know about.

It is as easy as that. Sony readers are very good at this.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #128
sombreastre
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesse View Post
Are the dictionaries localised at all? Am I in the UK going to be stuck with a US English dictionary or can I get a British English one for my still-very-much-considering-pre-ordering Kobo Glo?
I understand one would use a dictionary, while reading a book, for words one doesn't know well, right? So what are the advantages of having a UK dictionary vs a US dictionary in this instance?

It's not like the dictionary is going to spellcheck what you write (in which case differentiating UK-US spellings might be useful), it's just for looking up words you don't know.

So what do you mean by being stuck with a US English dictionary?

Last edited by sombreastre; 09-17-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #129
Iskariot
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesse View Post
Sony readers feature a British and an American dictionary.
I don't know about the Kobo Glo.

Mmmm, I wonder if I can download a manual for the Kobo Glo.
I will have to try that.

I really wished Sony would release a luxury model aluminum 7" PRS-950 with glolight, highres screen, next gen e-ink, 1Gb processor, 4Gb internal mem. etc.
I would buy it even if I had to pay twice or trice the amount other readers cost me.
Oh well, Sony is sadly missing the boat with their new readers. I will have to accept this.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #130
Iskariot
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombreastre View Post
(...)
So what do you mean by being stuck with a US English dictionary?
I can only talk about the Sony readers.
The Oxford English and the New Oxford American dictionaries can be quite different in their results.
The Oxford English features much more information about older, archaic english words for example. It is my experience that for some books the Oxfords English dictionary works better than the American Dictionary.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #131
sombreastre
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskariot View Post
I can only talk about the Sony readers.
(...)
The Oxford English features much more information about older, archaic english words for example. It is my experience that for some books the Oxfords English dictionary works better than the American Dictionary.
ah ok, I get it.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #132
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The main reason for not wanting to be stuck with a US English dictionary is that there's a lot of words that have different meanings in the US and the UK. Obvious things like football (two pretty different sports), pants (underwear or trousers?), is it a biscuit or a cookie, a vest or an undershirt, it's currently Autumn or is it Fall?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...h:_M%E2%80%93Z
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #133
ijdod
ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskariot View Post
It is a mystery to me why they do not clearly list the dictionaries available on the reader. It is like they do not get what is important to their customers, or what might persuade them to buy a device.

If I produced an ereader with a rich assortment of dictionaries I would flaunt it on my websites and in every advert. I would make a big deal of it.
I think the actual question here is: how big a feature is this, market-wise? Not in any way suggesting that I'm representative for the market: I've not used the dictionary in my e-reader, ever (had it for 3 years). To me, at least, that feature is essentially worthless.
ijdod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #134
sombreastre
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijdod View Post
I think the actual question here is: how big a feature is this, market-wise? Not in any way suggesting that I'm representative for the market: I've not used the dictionary in my e-reader, ever (had it for 3 years). To me, at least, that feature is essentially worthless.
I think you're right, most people only read in their own language (and of course, a dictionary is rarely useful if you're not entirely new to reading in your own language).
Market-wise they have possibly very little reason to care.

Last edited by sombreastre; 09-17-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #135
jsj
jsj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Maybe if you read something more challenging than the Hunger Games, you'd have a use for a dictionary. In a recent reading of Blood Meridian on my Kindle Touch, I had to look up over 100 words. Many didn't even appear in the pre-loaded Oxford dictionaries. The ability to load other dictionaries would be useful, however, I did appreciate being able to look up, and also translate, words through the internet.
jsj is offline   Reply With Quote