Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #226
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
To my mind these are the additional tools we should be aiming to provide at a minimum inside at least one flavour of the Kek Emu

Subversion, Bazaar, Git, Mercurial, SSH, SCP, xzcat, Perl, Autoconf, Automake, Libtool. and all the various chuff that brings.
I.e. be Buildroot / Autotools ready

This could be a development addon drive perhaps or a drive that can be switched to for dev puposes.

So far my efforts to provide this have met with various (documented here) disasters.

Is this a crazy idea clearly spawned in the warped cradle that is a madman's mind?
Answers on a postcard. or here. that would also work.

Thoughts on my moving these hiccups forward via external tools? anyone?
Or something I missed perhaps.

I'm leaning toward elastoplasting with externally genned stuff right now.
Buildroot I'm looking at you. *goes off to fiddle with things that may or may not help*
I did start looking at what would be required to run Buildroot in the emulator . . . .
Got scared off by the long list of dependencies of dependencies of dependencies . . .

But I agree with you in the long-term - Rob's idea of a development system is handicapped by his aversion to GPLv3.

I really hate to drop what I am doing at the moment, but just how badly do you need a better dev-system image?
Could you take a few days break at this point.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #227
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Apt fail

Apt Fail

Get thing

Code:
(armv6l:1) /home/src # wget http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool...queeze1.tar.gz

(armv6l:1) /home/src # tar -xzvf apt_0.8.10.3\+squeeze1.tar.gz 

(armv6l:1) /home/src/apt # cd apt-0.8.10.3\+squeeze1/
Configure thing

Code:
(armv6l:1) /home/src/apt/apt-0.8.10.3+squeeze1 # ./configure --prefix=/home
configure: error: cannot run /bin/sh buildlib/config.sub
(armv6l:1) /home/src/apt/apt-0.8.10.3+squeeze1 #
Fail

Appears to be unable to spawn sub-processes perhaps?
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #228
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Build it and they will come

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
...just how badly do you need a better dev-system image?.
Not even slightly.

This is simply a diversion from learning qt5. The video said it would take about 6 weeks to get a project to completion including learning the language.
So think of this as 6 weeks and 2 days

I just wanted to poke around in the emulator, I said I would.

I chose what I did because these things are the underlying precursors for so many apps that future users will UNDOUBTEDLY ask about. Might as well be me now as them later.

Apologies for breaking it quite so much but I figure that was the heart of what you were after and a little more miles on the device

If I had my way we would be looking to port all 30 odd thousand bloody apps like the Rasbian guys Okay Okay I know that's silly but a few thousand apps on the clock would be a crap load easier with some proper tools.

That's all, I'm thinking out loud what would be a least resistance route to getting the most from Emu. Jeebers I referred to it in the 3rd person, I'll be dropping the impersonal pronoun next.

What's that Emu? You need more Tea? Yes Emu. Got to go my evil master beckons, oh wait no this isn't HP-UX. Phew.

Ultimately if I can stir up some interest, heck even a few posts around the subject of the emulator, via; stupid Bird humour; breaking stuff in various amusing ways; showing how little unix one can get by with and still survive; generally posting my thoughts and experiences; then my work is done.

Build it and they will come. but possibly very quietly.

Last edited by twobob; 08-10-2012 at 07:11 PM. Reason: added why I chose what I did
Old 08-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #229
twobob

http://archlinuxarm.org/packages?arc...arch&sort=desc

^ This from page 50 - 90 In the AUR, Core or Extra repo that are not insane should be a guide to what is possible I would say as a thumb in the air.

Right, I'm shutting up now. Promise.

Last edited by twobob; 08-10-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #230
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, my "project plan" was to (eventually) have a Kindle-equivalent rootfs for the emulator.

Maybe "eventually" is closer than I thought.

There is a lot of things to be learned running this emulator -
It only has 256Mbyte of ram, no swap device, is only a little faster than a K3 . . .

For development purposes, getting the Ubuntu-core embedded rootfs to run in the emulator . . .
(Should only require "tweaking" the init scripts, **should**).
Advert
Old 08-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #231
twobob

Quote:
Well, my "project plan" was to (eventually) have a Kindle-equivalent rootfs for the emulator.

Maybe "eventually" is closer than I thought.

There is a lot of things to be learned running this emulator -
It only has 256Mbyte of ram, no swap device, is only a little faster than a K3 . . .

For development purposes, getting the Ubuntu-core embedded rootfs to run in the emulator . . .
(Should only require "tweaking" the init scripts, **should**).
I was thinking about doing that next. but couldn't get my head around mounting a tar. was going to get buildroot configured to spit out something we could point this at - or at least a few goodies to test.

From what I can see that raspberry differs in arch type slightly ARM1176JZF-S and it has comparable ram. I don' t see why just because it has an e-ink screen everyone thinks of the kindle like a grey brick.

Let's get some damn media working on it and make it sexy. Then perhaps people will get a handle that it is not just an e-reader. it's a victim of it's own highly successful advertising. Kindle = eReader. No one thinks Raspberry Pi = Adobe Pdf now do they... (okay okay I know it can do blue ray blah de blah)

That's my mind set, I don't see why even the lowly monochrome 3 can't be awesome.

In other news:

I'll make an extfs3 image with buildroot and try mounting that then : )

Last edited by twobob; 08-10-2012 at 07:47 PM. Reason: added blah de blah lipservice homage to the church of raspberry
Old 08-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #232
knc1
Going Viral

BuildRoot has a qemu_defconfig .
I have never used it, just know that it is in there.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #233
twobob

mario_defconfig

Quote:
I just hit the "Name of the kernel defconfig file to use, without the
trailing _defconfig. The defconfig is located in arch/<arch>/configs in the kernel tree." Buildroot snag.

Bugger, I need to rip one from 2.5 allegedly. gah. *researches this*
Old 08-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #234
twobob

imx35_luigi_defconfig thank you yifanlu

now binary format image and dev system type and I'm there I think.

EDIT: I'm Going with uImage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_002.png
Views:	193
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	90504  

Last edited by twobob; 08-10-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #235
twobob

Hmm this is a bit OT really. Although I AM building tools for the Kek Emu. Shall I take this elsewhere mate or are we still good for using this thread?
Old 08-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #236
twobob

Quote:
https://www.osadl.org/Use-BuildRoot-...ot-qemu.0.html

And

http://www.gabrielgonzalezgarcia.com...oot-linux-arm/

basically versatile

Last edited by twobob; 08-10-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #237
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Hmm this is a bit OT really. Although I AM building tools for the Kek Emu. Shall I take this elsewhere mate or are we still good for using this thread?
Keep it right here, somebody will want this "How did we update it" information.

This OpenSource software ages quickly.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #238
twobob

Quote:
Keep it right here, somebody will want this "How did we update it" information.

This OpenSource software ages quickly.
Rapidly Advancing Bit Rot. Will do.

In other news the kernel build failed with:

Spoiler:
Code:
Twofish cipher algorithm (CRYPTO_TWOFISH) [N/m/y/?] n
  * Compression
  Deflate compression algorithm (CRYPTO_DEFLATE) [N/m/y/?] n
  LZO compression algorithm (CRYPTO_LZO) [N/m/y/?] n
  * Hardware crypto devices
  Hardware crypto devices (CRYPTO_HW) [Y/n/?] y
* Library routines
CRC-CCITT functions (CRC_CCITT) [M/y/?] m
CRC16 functions (CRC16) [N/m/y/?] n
CRC ITU-T V.41 functions (CRC_ITU_T) [N/m/y/?] n
CRC32 functions (CRC32) [Y/?] y
CRC7 functions (CRC7) [N/m/y/?] n
CRC32c (Castagnoli, et al) Cyclic Redundancy-Check (LIBCRC32C) [N/m/y/?] n
#
# configuration written to .config
#
>>> linux custom Building
PATH="/home/simon/BLDS/buildroot/host/bin:/home/simon/BLDS/buildroot/host/usr/bin:/home/simon/BLDS/buildroot/host/usr/sbin/:/opt/qemu111/bin:/home/simon/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games" PERLLIB="/home/simon/BLDS/buildroot/host/usr/lib/perl" /usr/bin/make -j8 HOSTCC="/usr/bin/gcc" HOSTCFLAGS="" ARCH=arm INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/home/simon/BLDS/buildroot/target CROSS_COMPILE=" /home/simon/BLDS/buildroot/host/usr/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-" DEPMOD=/home/simon/BLDS/buildroot/host/usr/sbin/depmod -C /home/simon/BLDS/buildroot/build/linux-custom uImage
scripts/kconfig/conf -s arch/arm/Kconfig
  CHK     include/linux/version.h
  UPD     include/linux/version.h
  SYMLINK include/asm-arm/arch -> include/asm-arm/arch-mxc
  SYMLINK include/asm -> include/asm-arm
  Generating include/asm-arm/mach-types.h
  CHK     include/linux/utsrelease.h
  UPD     include/linux/utsrelease.h
  HOSTCC  scripts/kallsyms
  HOSTCC  scripts/genksyms/genksyms.o
  SHIPPED scripts/genksyms/lex.c
  CC      scripts/mod/empty.o
  SHIPPED scripts/genksyms/parse.h
  HOSTCC  scripts/bin2c
  SHIPPED scripts/genksyms/keywords.c
  SHIPPED scripts/genksyms/parse.c
  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/mk_elfconfig
  HOSTCC  scripts/genksyms/parse.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/genksyms/lex.o
  MKELF   scripts/mod/elfconfig.h
  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/file2alias.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/sumversion.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/modpost.o
  HOSTLD  scripts/genksyms/genksyms
  HOSTLD  scripts/mod/modpost
  CC      kernel/bounds.s
  GEN     include/linux/bounds.h
  CC      arch/arm/kernel/asm-offsets.s
  GEN     include/asm-arm/asm-offsets.h
  CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
  CC      init/main.o
  CHK     include/linux/compile.h
  CC      init/do_mounts.o
  CC      init/do_mounts_initrd.o
  CC      init/initramfs.o
  CC      init/calibrate.o
  HOSTCC  usr/gen_init_cpio
In file included from include/linux/buffer_head.h:13:0,
                 from init/main.c:55:
include/linux/pagemap.h: In function 'fault_in_pages_readable':
include/linux/pagemap.h:460:16: warning: variable 'c' set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
In file included from include/linux/nfs_fs.h:36:0,
                 from init/do_mounts.c:16:
include/linux/pagemap.h: In function 'fault_in_pages_readable':  CC      arch/arm/kernel/compat.o

include/linux/pagemap.h:460:16: warning: variable 'c' set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
  UPD     include/linux/compile.h
  CC      init/version.o
  AS      arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.o
  CC      arch/arm/mm/consistent.o
  AS      arch/arm/kernel/entry-common.o
  LD      init/mounts.o
  CC      arch/arm/kernel/irq.o
  /home/simon/BLDS/buildroot/build/linux-custom/scripts/gen_initramfs_list.sh: Cannot open '../../initramfs/skeleton-luigi.list'
make[3]: *** [usr/initramfs_data.cpio.gz] Error 1
  CC      arch/arm/kernel/process.o
make[2]: *** [usr] Error 2
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
  CC      arch/arm/kernel/ptrace.o
  CC      arch/arm/kernel/setup.o
  CC      arch/arm/kernel/signal.o
arch/arm/kernel/setup.c: In function 'request_standard_resources':
arch/arm/kernel/setup.c:569:37: warning: taking address of expression of type 'void' [enabled by default]
arch/arm/kernel/setup.c:570:37: warning: taking address of expression of type 'void' [enabled by default]
arch/arm/kernel/setup.c:571:37: warning: taking address of expression of type 'void' [enabled by default]
arch/arm/kernel/setup.c:572:37: warning: taking address of expression of type 'void' [enabled by default]
  LD      init/built-in.o
arch/arm/kernel/setup.c: In function 'setup_arch':
arch/arm/kernel/setup.c:855:39: warning: taking address of expression of type 'void' [enabled by default]
arch/arm/kernel/setup.c:856:39: warning: taking address of expression of type 'void' [enabled by default]
arch/arm/kernel/setup.c:857:39: warning: taking address of expression of type 'void' [enabled by default]
arch/arm/kernel/setup.c:858:35: warning: taking address of expression of type 'void' [enabled by default]
  CC      arch/arm/kernel/sys_arm.o
  CC      arch/arm/kernel/stacktrace.o
arch/arm/kernel/signal.c: In function 'restore_sigframe':
arch/arm/kernel/signal.c:214:30: warning: variable 'aux' set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
  CC      arch/arm/kernel/time.o
  CC      arch/arm/mm/extable.o
  CC      arch/arm/kernel/traps.o
  CC      arch/arm/kernel/armksyms.o
  CC      arch/arm/kernel/module.o
  CC      arch/arm/mm/fault.o
  CC      arch/arm/kernel/sys_oabi-compat.o
arch/arm/kernel/traps.c: In function '__bug':
arch/arm/kernel/traps.c:755:11: warning: variable 'tlen' set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
  CC      arch/arm/kernel/io.o
  CC      arch/arm/mm/init.o
  AS      arch/arm/kernel/head.o
  CC      arch/arm/kernel/init_task.o
  CC      arch/arm/mm/iomap.o
arch/arm/mm/init.c: In function 'find_bootmap_pfn':
arch/arm/mm/init.c:101:16: warning: taking address of expression of type 'void' [enabled by default]
arch/arm/mm/init.c: In function 'mem_init':
arch/arm/mm/init.c:425:14: warning: taking address of expression of type 'void' [enabled by default]
arch/arm/mm/init.c:425:24: warning: taking address of expression of type 'void' [enabled by default]
arch/arm/mm/init.c:426:14: warning: taking address of expression of type 'void' [enabled by default]
arch/arm/mm/init.c:426:22: warning: taking address of expression of type 'void' [enabled by default]
arch/arm/mm/init.c:427:14: warning: taking address of expression of type 'void' [enabled by default]
arch/arm/mm/init.c:427:28: warning: taking address of expression of type 'void' [enabled by default]
arch/arm/mm/init.c: In function 'free_initmem':
arch/arm/mm/init.c:480:29: warning: taking address of expression of type 'void' [enabled by default]
arch/arm/mm/init.c:481:22: warning: taking address of expression of type 'void' [enabled by default]
  CC      arch/arm/mm/fault-armv.o
  CC      arch/arm/mm/flush.o
  CC      arch/arm/mm/ioremap.o
  LDS     arch/arm/kernel/vmlinux.lds
In file included from arch/arm/mm/fault-armv.c:18:0:
  LD      arch/arm/kernel/built-in.o
  CC      arch/arm/mm/mmap.o
In file included from arch/arm/mm/flush.c:12:0:
  CC      arch/arm/mm/pgd.o
arch/arm/mm/ioremap.c: In function 'remap_area_pte':
arch/arm/mm/ioremap.c:67:1: warning: control reaches end of non-void function [-Wreturn-type]
  CC      arch/arm/mm/mmu.o
  CC      arch/arm/mm/proc-syms.o
  CC      arch/arm/mm/alignment.o
  AS      arch/arm/mm/abort-ev6.o
  AS      arch/arm/mm/cache-v6.o
  CC      arch/arm/mm/copypage-v6.o
  CC      arch/arm/mm/context.o
arch/arm/mm/mmu.c: In function 'reserve_node_zero':
arch/arm/mm/mmu.c:612:30: warning: taking address of expression of type 'void' [enabled by default]
arch/arm/mm/mmu.c:612:45: warning: taking address of expression of type 'void' [enabled by default]
arch/arm/mm/mmu.c:612:53: warning: taking address of expression of type 'void' [enabled by default]
  AS      arch/arm/mm/tlb-v6.o
  AS      arch/arm/mm/proc-v6.o
  CC      arch/arm/mm/cache-l2x0.o
arch/arm/mm/alignment.c: In function 'do_alignment':
arch/arm/mm/alignment.c:277:15: warning: 'offset.un' may be used uninitialized in this function [-Wuninitialized]
arch/arm/mm/alignment.c:625:21: note: 'offset.un' was declared here
  LD      arch/arm/mm/built-in.o
make[2]: *** wait: No child processes. Stop.
make[1]: *** [/home/simon/BLDS/buildroot/build/linux-custom/.stamp_built] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Which was not unexpected first bat. I'll revisit it after I get something I can chuck at the Emu. All the other tools built flawlessly.

Now to convince it to change kernels mid build hmm.. ; )

Last edited by twobob; 08-10-2012 at 10:25 PM. Reason: 'n'
Old 08-11-2012, 12:13 AM   #239
twobob

me@dev ~ $ qemu-system-arm -M versatilepb -kernel /home/me/BLDS/buildroot/images/zImage script="console=ttyAMA0 root=/dev/nfs rw nfsroot=192.168.1.65:/home/me/BLDS/loopmount ip=192.168.1.66" -nographic

anything obviously wrong with that?

I got it from here

http://www.gabrielgonzalezgarcia.com...oot-linux-arm/

sigh nfs is also another man page to read. TOMORROW.

: )

Says Disk Image not found. So it's got to be my shonky nfs
Old 08-11-2012, 06:31 AM   #240
knc1
Going Viral

NFS export

You may have to tweak your nfs server settings a bit.

But it is a nice reminder, I was wondering how to get qemu to mount an auFS stack.
It doesn't know how to do that, but it does know how to do an nfs mount.

I just need to check if the folks at Ubuntu included the auFS build-time option to allow auFS to be exported by nfs.

Then we can mount an auFS filter stack with the ro image at the bottom and have an emulator image that can be written to at the same time that the image keeps the updates to be shipped separate from the work files.

I.E: the filter stack will be doing (in real time) the "cherry picking" that NiLuJe wrote he does by hand (or script).