Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
_pietro
Connoisseur
_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse

Device: none
an advice on kobo's features before buy

hi!
i quite decided to buy the kobo touch and i'm asking your help to check features availability because i find some discrepancies in the manual, firmware updates and reviews... probably not all is updated

epub books

notes, available
highlights, available
bookmarks, available
dictionary, available
search, available

pdf books

notes, available
highlights, not available
bookmarks, available
dictionary, not available
search, not available

is it all correct?! is there a possibility that not available features will be released in a near future?!

thank you
_pietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by _pietro View Post
epub books

notes, available
highlights, available
bookmarks, available
dictionary, available
search, available
The above is correct. Some of this only became available with newer firmware.

Quote:
pdf books

notes, available
highlights, not available
bookmarks, available
dictionary, not available
search, not available
Sorry, the only PDF I have on my KT is a one page electronic train ticket. I know the "not available" is correct, but I am not sure about the "available". I suspect the notes isn't but the bookmarks is.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #3
geenp
Enthusiast
geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

My only PDF book is a Song of Ice and Fire world map so notes, highlights and the dictionary don't work. Bookmarks and search work though
geenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
The reality is that if your pdf is an ebook suitable for reading on a 6" monochrome e-reader, you'd be better off to convert it with Calibre to a better format, like epub for the Kobo. It only takes a minute, and you can format it correctly for the screen. If it's a large-page pdf with diagrams, tables, color photos etc., it's not really suitable for an e-reader, even if it's possible.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
_pietro
Connoisseur
_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The above is correct. Some of this only became available with newer firmware.

Sorry, the only PDF I have on my KT is a one page electronic train ticket. I know the "not available" is correct, but I am not sure about the "available". I suspect the notes isn't but the bookmarks is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geenp View Post
My only PDF book is a Song of Ice and Fire world map so notes, highlights and the dictionary don't work. Bookmarks and search work though
ok, thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
The reality is that if your pdf is an ebook suitable for reading on a 6" monochrome e-reader, you'd be better off to convert it with Calibre to a better format, like epub for the Kobo. It only takes a minute, and you can format it correctly for the screen. If it's a large-page pdf with diagrams, tables, color photos etc., it's not really suitable for an e-reader, even if it's possible.
for occasional usage is a good choice... 10'' would obiously be better, but for my needings is a waste of money
_pietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert