Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
Charybdis
Enthusiast
Charybdis will become famous soon enoughCharybdis will become famous soon enoughCharybdis will become famous soon enoughCharybdis will become famous soon enoughCharybdis will become famous soon enoughCharybdis will become famous soon enough

Device: BeBook
Where are the E-Ink tablets?

Man I really need an E-Ink tablet. I mean a real tablet PC, with usable CPU and RAM (Intel Atom and 1 GB RAM at least), but with E-Ink display, that is no LCD display.

I know that the refresh rate of E-Ink is bad. But look at this poll: LCD vs. e-ink: The eyestrain debate .

People need the E-Ink display. Oh why cannot I buy a real tablet PC with E-INK display?

The current E-Ink readers can only browse the web and read documents, they have too weak CPU and you cannot install apps on them. I need an E-Ink tablet which can run any program.

Basically I need a real Android tablet with the E-Ink display! Why the heck cannot someone manufacture one?
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Most programs that run on tablets require a higher refresh rate than e-ink can deliver. Redrawing menus, etc. requires refreshing. Plus, I doubt that there is a market for an e-ink tablet. Most people that want tablets want to play colorful games, watch videos, etc., which would not work using e-ink.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
Charybdis
Enthusiast
Charybdis will become famous soon enoughCharybdis will become famous soon enoughCharybdis will become famous soon enoughCharybdis will become famous soon enoughCharybdis will become famous soon enoughCharybdis will become famous soon enough

Device: BeBook
of course there is a market for an E-Ink tablet, look at the poll above.

Because E-Ink is easier for your eyes. I dont care about the refresh rate.
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
That poll was about e-ink reading, not tablets.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charybdis View Post
of course there is a market for an E-Ink tablet, look at the poll above.

Because E-Ink is easier for your eyes. I dont care about the refresh rate.
You think results of a non-scientific internet poll on a messageboard serves as concrete evidence of a viable market for e-Ink tablets?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
The PRS-T1 runs on Android and got already rooted. You can't install everything, but various apps got installed successfully. Check here.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #7
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
Quote:
Man I really need an E-Ink tablet. I mean a real tablet PC, with usable CPU and RAM (Intel Atom and 1 GB RAM at least), but with E-Ink display, that is no LCD display.
I fully agree with you. I've been waiting, and waiting, and waiting... for a 9-10" e-ink reader with which pdf files with many images, graphs, etc. can be read. My 7" Sony 950 does ok with text when cropped with Briss, but even then the text is pretty small; a 7" size will not serve for most document pdfs. And I suspect that to read really large high res. image pdfs, the amount of ram and processor speed must be much larger than is common on current android tablets.
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

Basically I need a real Android tablet with the E-Ink display! Why the heck cannot someone manufacture one?
It the first paragraph you seem to want a windows machine running atom processor. I know of no driver for E Ink that runs under windows. In the second you want an Android tablet which is likely RISC based. There are drivers available for these devices. The entourage is a dual screen device that uses E Ink on one side a LCD on the other. It is Android based. Whether the processor meets your needs I do not know.

All of the Android devices in our wiki are marked in https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Category:Android

Some of these are E Ink.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:54 PM   #9
kamizase
Connoisseur
kamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox 60
You should look into "Pixel Qi" screens and the NotionInk Adam. Not perfect solution, but if you want it so bad...
kamizase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:09 PM   #10
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
With the start of the iPad and other current tablets, I think this market is dead. You;ll see very few if any of these types of devices come out and they will be soooooo expensive. Plus, they will suck.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:16 PM   #11
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
We will have to wait a few years, when color e-ink is good enough and cheap enough to replace LCD/LED displays. Or some other new display technology comes along.

I would love a touch e-ink device, about 8" to 9", too. If it had full Android, all the better. Just for extended reading, taking handwritten notes, etc. I am having some problems with my Irex, besides, a Pearl screen seems to be a serious improvement. There is a market for it, but it seems the powers that be have decided that it is too small or that these people will settle for a regular tablet. Pocketbook's devices are getting close but no Pearl screen, and the Boox devices seem to be half baked.

Last edited by HansTWN; 11-21-2011 at 11:19 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:31 PM   #12
cadmus
cadmus is on a distinguished road

Device: none
found this:
http://noteslate.com/
figured it fit this thread
pretty cool. If it does PDFs i will buy one.

also a ricoh product:http://www.nothingbuttablets.com/5378

Last edited by cadmus; 01-31-2012 at 07:44 PM.
cadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:49 AM   #13
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
Noteslate is notorious vaporware.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #14
cadmus
cadmus is on a distinguished road

Device: none
clearly. the release dates have all passed and the archived twitter posts hind ant bigger and better things.
cadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #15
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
eink is outdated technology .....it has its fans no doubt
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote