Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-12-2017, 09:25 AM   #31
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, PW4, Voyage, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker
This was on my best of 2015 list. I didn't read it but listened to the audiobook read by George Guidall and thought it was excellent.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:04 AM   #32
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
One of my favorites.
I suppose I overlooked it because it was a re-read.
I liked Babette's Feast so much that I've picked up Out of Africa and Winter Tales. I'm hoping to get to at least one of them this year.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #33
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I liked Out of Africa but was amused that she hardly mentioned her husband (who gave her syphilis ). You would think she was alone on the coffee plantation.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:15 AM   #34
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
I liked Out of Africa but was amused that she hardly mentioned her husband (who gave her syphilis ). You would think she was alone on the coffee plantation.
A worthwhile companion to Out of Africa is Judith Thurman's biography of Dinesen. It's well-written and interesting on its own merits and it's fascinating to find out the real story behind the tales transmuted by art and ego as rendered by Dinesen.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:19 AM   #35
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
A worthwhile companion to Out of Africa is Judith Thurman's biography of Dinesen. It's well-written and interesting on its own merits and it's fascinating to find out the real story behind the tales transmuted by art and ego as rendered by Dinesen.
Thanks, issybird. I see that the Ottawa library has two paper copies, which by the hold list seem to be still popular for a 1982 publication. I'm looking forward to reading more Dinesen, and knowing the back story.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2017, 09:18 AM   #36
AndrewMowere
Connoisseur
AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think my favorite was "Thralldoms: The Soul Collectors" by Amanuesis Sharkchild. He uses long words but I was lucky to use amazon's online reader, which has a dictionary built in. Oh, but I also had the pleasure of reading "The Gunslinger" for the first time. Certainly a masterpiece, but it struck fewer of my personal buttons than the aforementioned book.
AndrewMowere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:43 AM   #37
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 4
I had a couple of five-star books last year.

My favourite non-fiction books were the following:
The Cigarette Century by Allan M. Brandt, a thoroughly researched and very detailed history of the cigarette and the tobacco industry
Grunt by Mary Roach, about the science of humans at war. Not necessarily a topic I would choose to read about, but I just love Mary Roach's writing.
And my last book of 2016: The Case against Sugar by Gary Taubes, which clearly illustrates how similar the stories of tobacco and sugar are.

In fiction I especially enjoyed two books by Mary Kubica, Pretty Baby and Don't You Cry. Psychological thrillers told in different points of view with excellent twists and turns.

A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary for Lovers by Xiaolu Guo
was a book I discovered by accident. It's a love story between two cultures and you get a great insight into Chinese mentality.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:57 PM   #38
Eagerkid
Eagerkid began at the beginning.

Device: none
One of my favorite books were " Zero to One" it is a business book by one of the co founders of PayPal
Eagerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:02 AM   #39
rawling
rawling can talk to the animals.rawling can talk to the animals.rawling can talk to the animals.rawling can talk to the animals.rawling can talk to the animals.rawling can talk to the animals.rawling can talk to the animals.rawling can talk to the animals.rawling can talk to the animals.rawling can talk to the animals.rawling can talk to the animals.

Device: tolino vision 2
Primo Levi - If This Is A Man
rawling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016, best of, favorite books