Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-07-2014, 09:11 PM   #76
Lynx-lynx
Grace Cossington Smith
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, Kobo H2O, Kobo Aura One
Steve, I haven't read the book or seen the movie, but I can say that the theme music to the movie was absolutely beautiful and is not too irregularly played on Aus ABC's Classic FM (I will add it's name etc at another time).
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:17 AM   #77
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
My 5-star books of 2013 were:
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2014, 03:59 PM   #78
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
I read 53 books in 2013, 18 of which I gave a 5-star rating on Goodreads.

In no particular order:
The Lazarus Effect by Frank Herbert
Soul Catcher by Frank Herbert
The White Plague by Frank Herbert
The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett
The Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett
The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett
The Great Bazaar & Brayan's Gold by Peter V. Brett
Between Two Fires by Christopher Buehlman
Turn Coat by Jim Butcher
Changes by Jim Butcher
Ghost Story by Jim Butcher
The Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan
Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch
Voice of the Planet by Michael Tobias
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan
Dash & Dingo: In Search of the Tasmanian Tiger by Catt Ford

I'm going to toss in The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, as I started it in December but didn't finish it till January.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:24 PM   #79
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Two five stars for me:
Fiction: Cold Days by Jim Butcher
Non Fiction:An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth by Cmdr Chris Hadfield

A close runner up mainly for the novelty factor was William Shakespeare's Star Wars by Ian Doeschner

Last edited by AlbertaCowboy; 01-11-2014 at 05:27 PM.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:09 PM   #80
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Only a few made it to 5 stars for me last year:

Far From the Tree - Andrew Solomon (nonfiction)
February - Lisa Moore
Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood (read both sequels, but they don't make 5 stars)
Cataract City - Craig Davidson
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2014, 04:18 PM   #81
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch; reMarkable tablet.
The books I read last year that would possibly rate 5 stars from me, were I to give stars, are:

Cryptonomicon, Neal Stephenson
Little Brother, Cory Doctorow
Reamde: A novel, Neal Stephenson

All SF, all "near future" or contemporary, and two by the same author. Strange year.
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
best of, favorite books