Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-25-2019, 04:52 PM   #46
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, PW2, Galaxy Tab S
This device is aimed at the casual shopper who looks at the list and picks the cheapest offering. People in the know will get a used or on sale Paperwhite. I personally would try to find a used voyage on eBay.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:26 PM   #47
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I suspect that the basic Kindle with the light will soon be the new best seller. Foolish people will buy it, not caring how we techy snobs feel about it. And even worse, many of them will have the temerity to enjoy it.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:15 PM   #48
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle 7th Gen, Kindle Paperwhite 2
So I guess the question for us "techies" is: Is an additional $10 for the built-in light but the lower resolution a fair trade?
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:46 AM   #49
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I suspect that the basic Kindle with the light will soon be the new best seller. Foolish people will buy it, not caring how we techy snobs feel about it. And even worse, many of them will have the temerity to enjoy it.
Quite probably. I believe the biggest con for the basic Kindle thus far was lack of frontlight.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:50 AM   #50
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
So I guess the question for us "techies" is: Is an additional $10 for the built-in light but the lower resolution a fair trade?
In all likelihood, when the PW4 goes on sale for $100, the basic Kindle would probably be $60-70 or so.

I read manga on my PW so for me 300ppi (or 264ppi paired with ~7+" screen) is non-negotiable.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:18 PM   #51
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I don't particularly care about the resolution, myself. As long as I can read the text. And I'd prefer not to have the frontlight at all. I think the light will be the death of eInk. It looks no different to LCD, with a light.

I'm contemplating buying an older basic kindle while I still can. Then again, I could just get a new battery for my really old kindle keyboard. Or, more sensibly, just forget about it until my paperwhite starts to fail.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:14 PM   #52
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I don't particularly care about the resolution, myself. As long as I can read the text. And I'd prefer not to have the frontlight at all. I think the light will be the death of eInk. It looks no different to LCD, with a light.

I'm contemplating buying an older basic kindle while I still can. Then again, I could just get a new battery for my really old kindle keyboard. Or, more sensibly, just forget about it until my paperwhite starts to fail.
I think 167 ppi is entirely inadequate, especially when there are cheapish 300 ppi options. I still haul out my 167 ppi Kobo Mini as my beach reader, but that's mostly because the OEM cover provides a lot of protection as it gets tossed around in my beach bag and because I wouldn't be heartbroken if something happened to it. But it really does need broad daylight to be legible and I can't even imagine how murky 167 ppi becomes with a light layer. The Kobo Glo with 212 ppi was my first lit reader and I thought that was irritatingly fuzzy.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:55 PM   #53
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
It's pretty hard to confuse e-ink with a front light with LCD with a backlight. Might as well say cars shouldn't have headlights because you'll confuse them with the sun.

LCD is transparent with a light behind the screen shining through it into your eyes. E-ink screens are opaque and you see reflected light, much the same as you do reading paper with a lamp over your shoulder. It's entirely possible to read on either but they're far from the same experience.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote