Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-28-2015, 10:29 PM   #1
Geared
Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Kobo Touch 2.0

Kobo Touch 2.0 – The Next Generation of a Fan Favourite
http://cafe.kobo.com/blog/kobo-touch...-fan-favourite
Quote:
Technical Specifications
  • Display: 6” Pearl E Ink touchscreen; 800 x 600 resolution, 167 PPI
    Neonode IR touch with 2 finger multi-touch support
  • Size: 115 x157 x 9.2 mm
    Weight: 185g
  • Processor: Freescale i.MX6 Solo Lite @ 1 GHz
  • Connectivity: Wi Fi 802.11 b/g/n and Micro USB
  • Supported file formats:
    eBooks: EPUB, EPUB3, PDF, and MOBI
    Text: TXT, HTML, XHTML, and RTF
    Comic Books: CBZ and CBR
Kobo Touch 2.0 by Kobo | chapters.indigo.ca
https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca...7073-item.html

Last edited by Geared; 09-02-2015 at 03:34 AM.
Geared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:41 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I was wondering when we would see this; after all the case for the Glo HD states it fits the Touch 2.0 as well.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 12:56 AM   #3
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
90$ for what seems like an entry level device. Hmm wonder how that's going to go over.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:34 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
90$ for what seems like an entry level device. Hmm wonder how that's going to go over.
It's right in the price range for such devices. The basic Kindle is $80 w/ads or $100 without, not that I know how well it sells.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 02:08 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It's right in the price range for such devices. The basic Kindle is $80 w/ads or $100 without, not that I know how well it sells.
Perhaps we should remember that price on Chapters/Indigo is in the rather anemic Canadian dollar. $90 Cdn converts to around $68 US at this point in time using the .7536 exchange rate quoted by the Bank of Canada at this point in time.

On a somewhat humourous note, the Amazon.ca site has the Kindle Touch Wifi on sale for $64 Cdn. with "usually ships within 2-3 weeks", the Kindle Paperwhite Wifi with the 300 dpi display for $119 Cdn though it won't be in stock until Sept. 5th, 2015. On another humourous note, despite the Voyage having been released prior to the Paperwhite, Amazon.ca does not seem to be selling it.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 03:48 AM   #6
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I was wondering when we would see this; after all the case for the Glo HD states it fits the Touch 2.0 as well.
If is it the same case as the Glo HD so probably it not have external micro sd card slot.
the big question is it have Front-light?

EDIT:" The screen is not illuminated"
http://liliputing.com/2015/08/kobo-l...0-ereader.html

Last edited by oren64; 08-29-2015 at 02:08 PM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:56 AM   #7
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I'm kind of relieved to see that, because I bought a Glo HD on Thursday and I was holding on until then in the hopes of seeing a frontlit Mini released
I also think that this is a well enough priced ereader in comparison to the Kindles, if the resolution and screen quality are at least on par.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 03:39 PM   #8
macsek
eReader fan
macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Currently using Kindle PaperWhite 4 /32. Also have a Kobo Aura One
Red face full details

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca...7073-item.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/ereading/gifts/kobo-touch-2-0/681495007073-item.html
Find full details and extra content near the bottom of this page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by At the bottom of the page
Appropriate for ages: 8 - adult
Dimensions: 4.52000" H × 0.36000" W × 6.16000" L
Shipping weight: 0.4 lbs.
UPC: 681495007073
macsek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 03:47 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Seems a bit silly to buy the Touch 2.0 for $90 when the Glo HD is $110.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:13 PM   #10
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Seems a bit silly to buy the Touch 2.0 for $90 when the Glo HD is $110.
Well Glo HD on Chapters Indigo site costs $130 CAD. So it is almost 50% more expensive. Still it is big step up for $40 so probably worth it. Sad to see the memory slot dropped as it is one of few distinguishing features. I don't see any significant difference from Amazon models. Are they just competing on price????
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:20 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_ninja View Post
Well Glo HD on Chapters Indigo site costs $130 CAD. So it is almost 50% more expensive. Still it is big step up for $40 so probably worth it. Sad to see the memory slot dropped as it is one of few distinguishing features. I don't see any significant difference from Amazon models. Are they just competing on price????
The Glo HD is $110 direct from Kobo. Also, you could contact Chapters to get them to price match.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:45 PM   #12
shall1028
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Glo HD is $110 direct from Kobo.

I see $129.99 from ca.kobobooks.com so perhaps the $110 was either fleeting or is not universal.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:19 AM   #13
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
Wolf is looking at US site while I was looking at the Canadian. So price difference is for Canada. Could be different is US.

Well I was going to wait for Xmas sale to get basic Kobo. However I really want microSD slot and new one doesn't seem to have it. Should I rush to get the old Touch with microSD? Thoughts?

I like to keep most of my books on a memory card in case device suddenly dies I can easily move the card to another device. Otherwise I may not be able to get access to books in internal memory if reader is really dead.

Or maybe it is not a big deal as I could always backup entire internal memory content on a computer. Thoughts?
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:10 PM   #14
cocopuff
Connoisseur
cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simpletouch Glowlight, Kobo Aura H2O
Glo HD is 129 direct from kobo in us, there's a 10 percent off coupon right now but shipping is 7 so you can get it from them for 124 if I did the math right. The touch 2.0 will have to bring a lot more to the table to be competitive at 90 CAD. Forget the Glo HD the aura is right in that ballpark and has a front light.

Last edited by cocopuff; 08-31-2015 at 12:13 PM.
cocopuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:34 PM   #15
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Aura has: uSD card slot, capacitance touch, front light but internal memory is not replaceable. Some say screen is a little lower contrast because of capacitance touch layer. Glass covering screen goes beyond screen all way to edge of frame at side of reader.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote