Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 12-13-2017, 12:48 AM   #76
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
I think planet should suffice.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:41 AM   #77
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It does get annoying when someone asks a question and you have an answer, but you cannot post it because you don't know where the person lives. So you don't post the answer. It could have been the correct answer. But then you don't get back to that thread and never post the answer you had. If location was mandatory, then the answer would have been posted if appropriate or maybe a different answer would have been posted. Instead, sometimes, no answer is posted.

This is not the way MR works. And if it is, that then needs to seriously change.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:19 AM   #78
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
People can reveal where they are or not, as they choose; people can help or not, as they choose. This isn't a police state.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:30 AM   #79
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
I think planet should suffice.
But only planets that are well stocked with fish
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:14 AM   #80
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
But only planets that are well stocked with fish
And bananas, I guess.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:21 AM   #81
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It does get annoying when someone asks a question and you have an answer, but you cannot post it because you don't know where the person lives. So you don't post the answer. It could have been the correct answer. But then you don't get back to that thread and never post the answer you had. If location was mandatory, then the answer would have been posted if appropriate or maybe a different answer would have been posted. Instead, sometimes, no answer is posted.

This is not the way MR works. And if it is, that then needs to seriously change.
Oh, is there some irresistible force preventing you from answering? Or from qualifying your answer by saying it applies in X but maybe not in Y? Or from asking the questioner for a location?

Why do you care so much?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:15 PM   #82
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I guess I just assumed that people who want/like to help others wouldn't mind a little interaction with people in order to get all the particulars necessary. Go figure.

People don't come here for helpdesk-like support. They're here to get a little free informal help from philanthropic users. So if maximum efficiency is something you find yourself stressing over more and more in your bid to provide voluntary, informal assistance to Mobileread visitors/users, then you should probably leave the helping to others (for at least a little while).
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:35 PM   #83
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
So maybe now it's not enough to know where in the world I reside, but what my first language is as well? Maybe some want to know my IQ and my level of education too--just so they don't use too many big or confusing words.
Also what type of neighborhood you live in.

As to the IQ and education:
I don't think that would help as some people seem to not understand even a two letter word.

Don't worry about it, the answer appears to be no.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:38 PM   #84
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

It doesn't annoy me. If I need more information, I just ask for it.
I think at least 1/10 of my posts are serial number/firmware/country of origin/special offers questions.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:43 PM   #85
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Oh, hell, Jon, we don't need no stinkin' locations! My advice is always good, for everyone, man, woman or child, no matter what city, state, country or planet in/upon which they reside. Isn't yours? I mean, hell, pedantry is pedantry, even on Jupiter, I'm pretty damn sure.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:23 PM   #86
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
How do you know that living in Spain makes English not the first language or living in Canada makes English the first language? You cannot say it for sure.
We were sitting in a restaurant in Ottawa , we heard our (upcoming) waiter address the nearby table in French, then come to ours and use English.
We asked 'how did he know what language to use?' Practice

Well, we don't get visual clues, so why not put one in the Location. he choice is still there. I thin Dr Drib used to have 2 countries listed for a while.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:30 AM   #87
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I've been trying to think of reasons, other than coyness, which may make someone want to conceal their general location.

A battered wife who has escaped her husband.
Someone in witness protection.
A woman avoiding a forced marriage (she would be reluctant to let her country be known).
Someone living under a repressive regime.
Anyone, really, who would be endangered by having it known where they live.

However, most of the members of MR use usernames which have nothing to do with their real name. Don't these act as screens behind which we can all hide?
To be here, you need access to the internet and the technology which goes with it.

I understand this entire thread is theoretical, as DiapDealer has said repeatedly that this issue is NOT under consideration.

Touch of irony: although my location is plainly given, some kind MR member recently recommended (in my thread about mechanical keyboards in the Writers Corner) a US site where I could obtain keycaps. I asked him for UK alternatives and was given links to several.

In the heat of debate, peeps don't often notice location etc.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:49 AM   #88
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I've been trying to think of reasons, other than coyness, which may make someone want to conceal their general location.

A woman avoiding a forced marriage (she would be reluctant to let her country be known).
Add "monkey who escaped from a zoo" to that list
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:59 AM   #89
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Don't worry, monkey, we won't tell.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:15 AM   #90
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post

However, most of the members of MR use usernames which have nothing to do with their real name. Don't these act as screens behind which we can all hide.
Oh, there are a lot of other reasons, especially job-related ones. And people are more findable than you'd think, especially over the long haul as personal details are revealed. Another long haul consideration is that, as we all know, the internet is forever. Who knows what might come back to haunt someone even decades from now, in highly changed circumstances? It doesn't affect me, but you look at all the kids with Facebook, Snapchat, etc.

I'm not paranoid, I don't consider myself at risk and I'm pretty easy about who knows me. But people are allowed to determine their own level of comfort in regard to privacy.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote