Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-12-2017, 02:43 AM   #1
rybshik
rybshik knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rybshik knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rybshik knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rybshik knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rybshik knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rybshik knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rybshik knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rybshik knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rybshik knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rybshik knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rybshik knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Borrowing from US public library directly on/to device

Can one borrow a US public library e-book to a Kindle PaperWhite device via Wi-Fi without using any other computer or electronic device?

I mean the whole borrowing process is initiated and completed on PaperWhite connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi.

Assuming that the library does have e-books in the Kindle format.

Thanks!

Last edited by rybshik; 07-12-2017 at 02:50 AM.
rybshik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:30 AM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Try it and see....
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:34 AM   #3
rybshik
rybshik knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rybshik knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rybshik knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rybshik knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rybshik knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rybshik knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rybshik knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rybshik knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rybshik knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rybshik knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rybshik knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Try it and see....
Not very helpful advice. I am in Canada now and need to drive a few hrs, open a library account, etc.
rybshik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:54 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybshik View Post
Not very helpful advice. I am in Canada now and need to drive a few hrs, open a library account, etc.
but to the point unless you count the device your driving "another computer or electronic device".

You did not include the initiation of a new account using only the Kindle as part of your requirements. Only the 'borrowing from a US public library (while located in a foreign country)'.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:43 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Can one borrow a US public library e-book to a Kindle PaperWhite device via Wi-Fi without using any other computer or electronic device?

I mean the whole borrowing process is initiated and completed on PaperWhite connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi.

Thanks!
Here are the steps you need to follow to do that.
First, drive to the US, then rent or buy a property, wait 30 days, then go to the library and get a library card.
Otherwise, I think the answer is no. I don't know of any US libraries that allow out of country borrowing.

*The US does not have a library system. Every library is different. For example: if you have a New York City library card (not sure exactly what their library is called), you cannot use it to borrow a book from say the Midland County Library in Texas. Now there are interlibrary loans but they cost and you have to go through the library you have a card with.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:06 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Well, in the US, county-wide library systems are common.
But nothing country-wide or international.

Wayne County Library System serves the entire county.
But even though Wayne County is just a short swim across the Detroit River from Canada, the e-books evidently don't float.

Note; Wait for your back to dry off before you go into one of their libraries to sign up for a card.
If you look over 18, then take a kid with you, kids don't have to own property.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:37 PM   #7
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I don't know of any US libraries that allow out of country borrowing.
The library has no idea where in the world my Kindle Keyboard is when I borrow a book.

As for the OP question -- I think the answer is yes, but I don't recommend it.

To borrow a Kindle format book with DRM -- and almost all popular library books have DRM -- you need to visit two web sites:

1. A localized Overdrive.com, such as https://brooklyn.overdrive.com/

2. www.amazon.com

Using my Kindle Keyboard, I can get to both. Therefore, with great patience, and some difficulty, I can borrow a book using WiFi -- or even just the local cell phone network -- in most of the world, using the device alone. I did it once or twice.

As for the PaperWhite, overdrive.com is blocked when you are connected over a cell phone network. But with WiFi, I think you should be able to do it.

However, regardless of what eInk Kindle model one has, it is far easier to do from a PC due to a combination of eInk browser limitations, and the demise of mobilizing web sites that once made that browser bearable. (Bearable to me -- most here always disliked it.)

P.S. I wonder, though, what happens when your Kindle is registered to www.amazon.ca. A Canadian, with an American library card, would need to tell us if that is a problem. If might be necessary to have the Kindle registered on the American Amazon portal. If amazon.ca is a problem, though, I don't think it would matter where the Canadian is, in the world, at the moment.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 07-12-2017 at 09:46 PM.
SteveEisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:48 PM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
The library has no idea where in the world my Kindle Keyboard is when I borrow a book.

As for the OP question -- I think the answer is yes, but I don't recommend it.

To borrow a Kindle format book with DRM -- and almost all popular library books have DRM -- you need to visit two web sites:

1. A localized Overdrive.com, such as https://brooklyn.overdrive.com/

2. www.amazon.com

Using my Kindle Keyboard, I can get to both. Therefore, with great patience, and some difficulty, I can borrow a book using WiFi -- or even just the local cell phone network -- in most of the world, using the device alone. I did it once or twice.

As for the PaperWhite, overdrive.com is blocked when you are connected over a cell phone network. But with WiFi, I think you should be able to do it.

However, regardless of what eInk Kindle model one has, it is far easier to do from a PC due to a combination of eInk browser limitations, and the demise of mobilizing web sites that once made that browser bearable. (Bearable to me -- most here always disliked it.)
You misread my post. I said the library won't loan to a resident that doesn't live in the US.
Do you know of a US library that he can get a library card from?
I am assuming you have to give the library an address that matches your identification.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:21 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
You misread my post. I said the library won't loan to a resident that doesn't live in the US.
Do you know of a US library that he can get a library card from?
I am assuming you have to give the library an address that matches your identification.
Unless something has changed, which it could have as I haven't kept up on the matter, Free Library of Philadelphia allows cards for non-US folks (you can order online/by mail). There's an entire thread around here somewhere discussing various options for US libraries for non-US residents (of course I can't find it right now).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:38 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Unless something has changed, which it could have as I haven't kept up on the matter, Free Library of Philadelphia allows cards for non-US folks (you can order online/by mail). There's an entire thread around here somewhere discussing various options for US libraries for non-US residents (of course I can't find it right now).
I vaguely remember that thread but I was thinking it was out of county or out of state residents, not non-country residents.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:57 PM   #11
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Wow people, did anyone consider that possibly the OP was trying to find out it was possible so they could set up a parent or someone who does live in the U.S. with a Paperwhite (a Kindle which they may not yet own so even if they were in the U.S. they wouldn't be able to try it and see if it works anyway and maybe only intend to buy one if what they asked about works)? Seemed like a pretty straightforward question being asked and somehow the thread has been sidetracked by irrelevant assumptions/questions.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:23 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:

Thanks!
I just tried to access my counties OverDrive library on a Paperwhite 3 I borrowed for a minute and the site started to load, but then crashed the browser (on multiple tries).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:31 PM   #13
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Wow people, did anyone consider that possibly the OP was trying to find out it was possible so they could set up a parent or someone who does live in the U.S. with a Paperwhite (a Kindle which they may not yet own so even if they were in the U.S. they wouldn't be able to try it and see if it works anyway and maybe only intend to buy one if what they asked about works)? Seemed like a pretty straightforward question being asked and somehow the thread has been sidetracked by irrelevant assumptions/questions.
Not when they said they were in Canada and would have to drive a few hours to a library in the US to set up the account.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:00 AM   #14
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
My neighbor ...who has since moved to Maryland .... she belonged to a Library in China She joined with just a Credit card & a PC. She Never been to China!!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:54 AM   #15
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
I vaguely remember that thread but I was thinking it was out of county or out of state residents, not non-country residents.
I think that when the library has a liberal policy regarding issuing visitor cards, and also has a policy of requiring "State ID," librarians would vary in whether they consider an Ontario driver's license to be State ID.

Just googling a bit, here's a hard-to-get-to library that doesn't mention State ID:

https://www.nantucketatheneum.org/us...-library-card/

When applying for a card, I mention that I'm only going to use the eBook collection. Mentioning this might alleviate librarian concern you are going to leave the country with a book and never return it.

In a few cases, there's an unwritten, but computer-enforced, policy disallowing visitors Overdrive privileges.
SteveEisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
borrow, overdrive, paperwhite, public library