Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-30-2018, 09:40 PM   #31
backfromq
backfromq began at the beginning.

Device: none
I mentioned earlier these plugins but nobody replied:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/epub/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...e-web-offline/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...n/saveasebook/

That seems simpler than copy-paste even.

Do you not use Reader mode in Firefox? It's superb, I highly recommend it. It's almost always superior experience than the formatting of articles otherwise. It includes photos usually. Exporting that as epub is totally sensible.

I've now tested those plugins, and none are perfect, some work better than others for different cases, but it's something. I'd like to know if people have other recommendations.

Otherwise I find Calibre can convert documents too.
backfromq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:08 AM   #32
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I too use firefox, but I'm in the UK and I've never seen those add-ons available. The main one I use is an ad-blocker.

If you have those, and they work, then what's the problem? Just use them to convert web pages to epubs.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2018, 12:19 AM   #33
backfromq

I didn't say there was a problem, but I've not used these tools before or had an ereader, so I'm learning and looking for any insights from more experienced folks.

On first testing, those plugins are somewhat inconsistent but mostly usable.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:00 AM   #34
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I just don't use my e-reader in that way, so have never investigated those addons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backfromq View Post
What I do want is to be using my laptop and recognize that an article I want to read is a 3+ minute article and be able to quickly export it to epub or something and regularly copy over a collection of such articles to the ereader in order to still read such things but spend less time reading on my laptop.
I did suggest Pocket, which is built in to both Firefox and Kobo. You could send articles to a Kobo directly. Of course, doing so would require Wi-Fi, so maybe sideloading the articles is better for your use case.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:16 PM   #35
backfromq

If I could trust that the only thing that would happen with wifi were Pocket, I'd maybe try it now that Pocket is owned by Mozilla who I trust more than most (but not entirely, but at least I trust Mozilla's *intentions* not to be totally misaligned with users like Facebook or Google's intentions can be)…

Anyway, update is that https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/epub/ is mostly working and the dev also responding quickly to some bug reports I entered…
Advert
Old 12-31-2018, 01:04 PM   #36
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfromq View Post
If I could trust that the only thing that would happen with wifi were Pocket, I'd maybe try it...
We use our readers in different ways (or will, once you have yours), but if you only read sideloaded books and Pocket articles, I'm not sure what Kobo would track. Do they track Pocket articles maybe? I dunno. But I'm pretty sure they don't track sideloaded books.

I don't have answers and you're getting a Nook anyway. But you might try posting a thread in the Kobo forum anyway. It could be useful info for you in the future.

Quote:
...now that Pocket is owned by Mozilla who I trust more than most (but not entirely, but at least I trust Mozilla's *intentions* not to be totally misaligned with users like Facebook or Google's intentions can be)…
I agree. I trust Mozilla quite a bit.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 06:28 PM   #37
backfromq

Pocket strikes me as wrong intuitively though, but I've never used it. It seems to be too much like a duplication of bookmarking but feels more like trusting a service instead of running your own software. Again, those are intuitive impressions, not a deep evaluation.

Kobo gives me an impression of being better than Nook still, but I went for better price value for a first step.

Thanks to all for the help, and hope this thread provides value to others reviewing it.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:46 AM   #38
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
If you do become fond of using ereaders the mobileread Kobo forum is very active and helpful. I discovered this when I, temporarily, had a Clara hd.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epaper, libre, privacy