Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-11-2018, 11:55 AM   #1
Andrew7
Andrew7 herds cats with both ease and graceAndrew7 herds cats with both ease and graceAndrew7 herds cats with both ease and graceAndrew7 herds cats with both ease and graceAndrew7 herds cats with both ease and graceAndrew7 herds cats with both ease and graceAndrew7 herds cats with both ease and graceAndrew7 herds cats with both ease and graceAndrew7 herds cats with both ease and graceAndrew7 herds cats with both ease and graceAndrew7 herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo Arc 10HD
System update for Kobo Arc 10HD?

I awoke this morning to find a notification on my Kobo Arc 10HD that stated “A system update is now available” and that I should tap here for more information which I did. I was asked whether I wanted to “Update now?” The explanation given for the update was that “We’re releasing a mandatory software update for all Kobo Arc tablets in order to stay aligned with global Internet security standards.”

I am concerned about its legitimacy since the reader is quite old and is currently running a kernel version that is nearly five years old. I thought this reader was long past receiving any updates given its age. Is this update legitimate? Adding to my apprehension is the fact that I recently downloaded a malicious file which I swiftly deleted but perhaps some damage was done to my tablet.
Andrew7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:08 PM   #2
Andrew7
Andrew7 herds cats with both ease and graceAndrew7 herds cats with both ease and graceAndrew7 herds cats with both ease and graceAndrew7 herds cats with both ease and graceAndrew7 herds cats with both ease and graceAndrew7 herds cats with both ease and graceAndrew7 herds cats with both ease and graceAndrew7 herds cats with both ease and graceAndrew7 herds cats with both ease and graceAndrew7 herds cats with both ease and graceAndrew7 herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo Arc 10HD
Update: I decided to call Kobo technical support in Mexico City for an answer to my question and was told that this security update was very legitimate and was optional and not mandatory as stated in the Notice. It will not impact functionality in any way I was told and it was only issued to address certain security concerns.

Last edited by Andrew7; 11-11-2018 at 02:12 PM.
Andrew7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert