Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-31-2017, 03:13 PM   #391
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino84 View Post
Yes I believe that is being adressed in the instructions of the URL I posted

Also no need to reverse engineer the Kindle update. There is a zip-file provided.
No, it's not addressed. Those instructions are obsolete and no longer work. As for the ZIP file, it's against forum rules to post a link to allow downloading of Bookerly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:29 PM   #392
Dino84
Connoisseur
Dino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle Oasis, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No, it's not addressed. Those instructions are obsolete and no longer work.
Thats contradicting. Either its adressed but obsolete, or it isnt adressed period.

In any case it seemed to work for me, so Im satisfied.

Quote:
As for the ZIP file, it's against forum rules to post a link to allow downloading of Bookerly.
Sorry I dont remember that from the registration form. My bad then.
Dino84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2017, 04:09 PM   #393
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
No, it's not addressed. Those instructions are obsolete and no longer work. As for the ZIP file, it's against forum rules to post a link to allow downloading of Bookerly.
I think this rule applies to direct download links, not links to other articles that themselves may include the link. Ultimately a moderator would need to make that decision, but my gut feel is that a link that doesn't enable the download directly is not in violation of the forum guidelines.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:39 PM   #394
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Moderator Notice
Do not post download links to commercially licensed fonts or pirate sites of fonts. Please familiarize yourself with our Guidelines. Repeat offenders will be subject to suspension.This is your only warning!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:47 AM   #395
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Space between words

I find this font Source Code Pro that have bigger space between words.
Is it because the margin between characters is bigger in this font?
Is there a way to extend the space between words in other fonts?
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2017, 02:23 PM   #396
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
I find this font Source Code Pro that have bigger space between words.
Is it because the margin between characters is bigger in this font?
Is there a way to extend the space between words in other fonts?
Source Code Pro is a monospace font. That's why the greater space between some of the letters. Fonts you use to read with are variable width fonts. You could increase the space by editing the kerning table, but that is a lot of work.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:28 PM   #397
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Source Code Pro is a monospace font. That's why the greater space between some of the letters. Fonts you use to read with are variable width fonts. You could increase the space by editing the kerning table, but that is a lot of work.
Thanks Jon.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:03 AM   #398
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Rojarivo

See this thread to download Rojarivo v3.

Rojarivo is a modified version of the Rosarivo font by Pablo Ugerman, which is available at: https://github.com/google/fonts/tree...r/ofl/rosarivo.

Complete list of changes:
Spoiler:
Code:
* Changed name of ligature tables from 'lig' to 'liga'.
  Kobo's ePub reader expects standard ligatures to be in 'liga'.

* Added the following missing glyphs, by copying/scaling existing glyphs:
  no-break space (U+00A0), thin space (U+2009) narrow no-break space (U+202F)
  soft hyphen (U+00AD), hyphen (U+2010), non-breaking hyphen (U+2011)
  figure dash (U+2012), horizontal bar (U+2015)

* Changed font size from 1000 to 1152, then re-scaled to 2048. Intention is to
  make the size of the font compatible with the default Kobo fonts, i.e.
  serif (Georgia) and sans-serif (Avenir).

* Regular version: Created Bold and BoldItalic vesions with weight increased by 60.

* Dark version:  Increased weight of Regular and Italic versions by 30, created Bold
  and BoldItalic versions with weight increased by 96. Intention is to make the
  weight closer to that of the default Kobo fonts.

* Changed PANOSE weights to book/bold.
  Kobo's KePub reader uses PANOSE to decide which weight to use, and sometimes
  gets them mixed up if the PANOSE weight is not set as expected.

* Changed HHead ascent/descent offset to 344/444.
  This is an attempt to work around a bug in the Kobo KePub reader, where page
  breaks leave the top part of the glyph on the previous page when the line
  spacing is narrow.

* Added 'old-style' kern tables.
  Kobo's KePub reader needs these tables for kerning. (The ePub reader uses
  the standard GPOS kern tables.)

* Changed font family name from Rosarivo to Rojarivo, to comply with the OFL.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:43 AM   #399
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
fonts' problem

Hi! After failed many times to get a TOTAL fullscreenreading with the kepub books, I tried with the simple epub. I succeded it but with 2 problems:
-some custom fonts (my favourite ones) are automatically “bolded” in the fullscreenreading mode
-in spite of the TTF format of the custom fonts, I can’t still use the advanced maching feature (but it’s enabled with the kobo's fonts)

Thanks
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:48 AM   #400
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl_ View Post
Hi! After failed many times to get a TOTAL fullscreenreading with the kepub books, I tried with the simple epub. I succeded it but with 2 problems:
-some custom fonts (my favourite ones) are automatically “bolded” in the fullscreenreading mode
-in spite of the TTF format of the custom fonts, I can’t still use the advanced maching feature (but it’s enabled with the kobo's fonts)

Thanks
You need to patch the firmware to fix these things. Go to the Kobo developer's forum and find the patches for the firmware you are running.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:24 AM   #401
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
I want to process all fonts I am using through FontForge and clean a few things. Other than the Panose Book/Bold setting, I want to consistently set old kerning on, hinting off and have output to TTF. Please confirm the options in Generate Fonts / Options window:

SFNT:
TrueType Hints = off
Apple = off
Open Type = on
Old style 'kern' = on
Windows compatible 'kern' = on

Is it safe to set PS Glyph Names = off?
With Old style 'kern' = on, the file may get very large.
Should Panose be set to Book/Bold or removed completely (as per other scripts from this forum)?

Thank you.

Last edited by hfpop; 06-22-2018 at 07:29 AM.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:14 PM   #402
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfpop View Post
I want to process all fonts I am using through FontForge and clean a few things. Other than the Panose Book/Bold setting, I want to consistently set old kerning on, hinting off and have output to TTF. Please confirm the options in Generate Fonts / Options window:

SFNT:
TrueType Hints = off
Apple = off
Open Type = on
Old style 'kern' = on
Windows compatible 'kern' = on

Is it safe to set PS Glyph Names = off?
With Old style 'kern' = on, the file may get very large.
Should Panose be set to Book/Bold or removed completely (as per other scripts from this forum)?

Thank you.
If any of the fonts you are using doesn't have kerning, then you'll have to create the kerning table(s) needed for kerning. It's not easy to do.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:07 PM   #403
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
Overpass font

This is one of the sanf-serif fonts derived from the signage alphabet drawn for the United States Federal Highway Administration. It's freely distributed and available in 8 thicknesses

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overpass_(typeface)

https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Overpass

Enjoy the reading
Attached Files
File Type: zip Overpass.zip (885.8 KB, 415 views)
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:51 PM   #404
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
EB Garamond is the best free Garamond I've found, but I had a few frustrations with the official implementation—a small relative glyph size when rendered on e-ink, and none of my favorite ligatures had been assigned as defaults—so I adjusted the em-square to resize without rescaling, assigned my own ligature preferences, and renamed the output as "EB Garamond Absinthe" for SIL OFL compliance.

Currently using this on an original Kobo Aura. Feel free to do likewise on your own Kobos, Kindles, or whatnot if it appeals to you… and if you make any further adjustments, please remember to modify the name and credits accordingly.

(Meant to post this ~8 months ago, but I'd forgotten my MobileRead password. Oops.)
Attached Files
File Type: zip EB Garamond Absinthe Version 1.000.zip (2.18 MB, 2619 views)
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:07 AM   #405
knkmhmd
knkmhmd knows what is on the back of the AURYN.knkmhmd knows what is on the back of the AURYN.knkmhmd knows what is on the back of the AURYN.knkmhmd knows what is on the back of the AURYN.knkmhmd knows what is on the back of the AURYN.knkmhmd knows what is on the back of the AURYN.knkmhmd knows what is on the back of the AURYN.knkmhmd knows what is on the back of the AURYN.knkmhmd knows what is on the back of the AURYN.knkmhmd knows what is on the back of the AURYN.knkmhmd knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPAD Pro 10.3, Iphone Xs Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Season View Post
EB Garamond is the best free Garamond I've found, but I had a few frustrations with the official implementation—a small relative glyph size when rendered on e-ink, and none of my favorite ligatures had been assigned as defaults—so I adjusted the em-square to resize without rescaling, assigned my own ligature preferences, and renamed the output as "EB Garamond Absinthe" for SIL OFL compliance.

Currently using this on an original Kobo Aura. Feel free to do likewise on your own Kobos, Kindles, or whatnot if it appeals to you… and if you make any further adjustments, please remember to modify the name and credits accordingly.

(Meant to post this ~8 months ago, but I'd forgotten my MobileRead password. Oops.)
How can I thank you enough!!! I have been searching for a good garamond font for so long. There always have been some issues with each. This modification of yours is what I have been searching for.
I have tried Microsoft provided ones and the google ones. The most prevalent problem are character/word spacing, uneven shape scaling while increasing font size, less legitibility/grayish when using smaller size, contrast issue and others. I have used the EB garamond from google but immediately discarded. Yours one is so efficiently rendered I am amazed and grateful.
I will be curious to see your future works and will be looking inside the forums to find other fonts whihc have been modified as you did. Garamond or alikes have always been my choice as because they are the most suitable for my eyes and gives me a very close kind of visual pleasure of reading a printed book.
(Have used it in my Kindle Paperwhite 3 and will load into Kobo aura H2O soon).
knkmhmd is offline   Reply With Quote