Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-15-2018, 10:50 PM   #16
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Based on that image I'd say the problem is the 4th line
Code:
background-color: rgb(210, 228, 242);
Just remove this line from the table {...} style in any/all CSS files in the book. The background-color should then default to white (or possibly transparent ???).

If it was my book I'd also replace the line below it:
Code:
color: rgb(64, 64, 64);
which is setting the table text color to a dark-ish gray. If you also remove this line the table text should default to black.
The background color seems to have nothing to do with it. He says that the text is being cut off on the right edge, it seems. Whatever reader he's using, it's struggling with table display.

What you could do, @hythamhhl, is copy and paste the text outside of a table, but it will take a bit of work and knowledge. If you don't know what CSS is, honestly, it might be hitting above your weight class. Not trying to insult you at all; but the text could be in table rows, which wouldn't work outside of the table. You'd need a teeny bit of knowledge to do it without making the problem worse.

Some readers do have issues with displaying tabular data; this isn't completely unique. BUT...if the problem persists and is driving you nuts, you might try something as simple as rotating the device sideways/landscape, see if that at least gets you the content without it being cut off.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:31 AM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by hythamhhl View Post
it maybe not showing in the mobile screenshot but it is clipped (two rows are not visible)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
The background color seems to have nothing to do with it. He says that the text is being cut off on the right edge, it seems.
@Hitch - our interpretation of the word row seems to differ - IMO a row is a line, if a row was being cut off then surely it would be at the top or bottom edge.

@hythamhhl - the code snippets you are showing don't appear to relate to the device screenshot you posted. It would help us understand your problem if they did.

FWIW - I would try different apps on my phone until i found one that worked on this ePUB. IME there's no such thing as a universal ebook reader, I have 11 ereader apps on my 3 devices - not all apps are on all devices.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-16-2018 at 01:20 AM. Reason: typo
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 02:25 AM   #18
hythamhhl
hythamhhl began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The HTML file will call out the CSS files (yes, multiple CAN be used) for that file.

But Sigil make it even simpler. In the code view, right click on the Paragraph (or encapsulating div) : Go to link or style. This will jump you to the first OCCURRENCE or the top of the CSS if it is not found (where it was supposed to be)
i tried the right click on the paragraph and it took me to top css for tables
same one i linked
i will try different app hoping to solve the problem
thank you for your help
hythamhhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 02:37 AM   #19
hythamhhl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
What you could do, @hythamhhl, is copy and paste the text outside of a table, but it will take a bit of work and knowledge. If you don't know what CSS is, honestly, it might be hitting above your weight class. Not trying to insult you at all; but the text could be in table rows, which wouldn't work outside of the table. You'd need a teeny bit of knowledge to do it without making the problem worse.

Hitch
that is what am doing now
i copy the text and delete the tables
and what am looking for is what above my weight class (no insult taken i said am total nobe)
if it is not a bother can you walk me through the process of doing this (delete all the tables in the whole file at once) cause i have a lot of epub with the same problem
Old 12-16-2018, 07:08 AM   #20
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I agree that this is probably an issue with aldiko and not with the book. Honestly, the code/css snippet you showed is one of the cleaner examples I've seen. I would listen to Hitch and BR and either rotate your screen or use a different reader.

If you are intent on deleting all references to a <table> then it will take a few find/replace steps. I've outlined the procedure below, however I would NOT do this with my books. For the example code you showed above, I would change the <table> to a <div> and transfer the CSS styling so that it looks the way the author intended...and also so you can differentiate what kinds of communication are being portrayed. Simply deleting the <table>s will make all the paragraphs look the same - you won't be able to easily tell what is a system message and what is a character talking.

Here is an example of how I would code the <div>s (screenshot attached):
Spoiler:

HTML:
Code:
<p>This was the first time I had heard about the residential area. I never expected something like that to exist in the dungeon either. It seemed I could just stay there without ever going back to my own world. Although, I would never do so as a college student and Yua's older brother. The residential area also seemed like the place where I could use the Special Mansion Free Purchase Ticket. Special Mansion… I was curious, but I had no way of going there as of yet.</p>
<p class="spc">In summary, there were four benefits I gained from becoming an official explorer.</p>
<div class="msg">
<p>1. Authority to appoint one person to be a First Dungeon Explorer.</p>
<p>2. Ability to find and join Event Dungeons.</p>
<p>3. Ability to participate in Event Raids.</p>
<p>4. Right to enter the residential area.</p>
</div>
<p>After I organized the info, it did not seem so complicated anymore. With that, I finally checked the Divine Speed skill I received.</p>
CSS:
Code:
p	{
	margin: 0;
	text-indent: 1.2em;
	text-align: left
}

p.spc	{
	margin-top: 2em;
	text-indent: 0
}

div.msg {
	border: 3px double rgb(116, 153,  196);
	background-color: rgb(210, 228, 242);
	color: rgb(64, 64, 64);
	width: 80%;
	margin: 2em auto;
	padding: 15px
}

div.msg p {
	text-indent: -1.5em;
	padding-left: 1.5em
}

WARNING: Using this procedure may will have some unintended consequences...make a backup of your file before doing this...

Open the "Find & Replace" tool (Ctrl-F if it isn't visible). Check "DotAll" and "Wrap" in the options. Select Regex and "All HTML Files" in the Mode. Enter each of the following searches, one at a time, into the find and replace fields. Click the "Find" button, then click the "Replace" button. If you are happy with the results then repeat, or you could use the "Replace/Find" to automatically go to the next instance after making the replace. OR, you could use the "Replace All" button to do it all at one go...but you cannot Undo the Replace All...again, make a backup...

Search 1:
Find: <td>\s*(.*?)\s*</td>
Replace: \1

Search 2:
Find: <tr>\s*(.*?)\s*</tr>

Search 3:
Find: <table.*?>\s*(.*?)\s*</table>

If you want to try replacing the <table> with a <div> then use this as the 3rd search:

Search 3:
Find: <table.*?>\s*(.*?)\s*</table>
Replace: <div class="msg">\n\1\n</div>

EDIT:
This procedure is based on your example...it assumes that all the information inside of the table is already wrapped with <p> tags.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	168394  

Last edited by Turtle91; 12-16-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:31 AM   #21
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
One other thing to try before hacking up all these books - if you aren't willing to try a different reader app - is to go into Aldiko settings and choose “publisher default” styling. That may allow it to ignore whatever internal issues it has with tables and revert to using what is in the ePub file.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:19 PM   #22
hythamhhl

i did that
and it worked
no errors and no tables
am really really very very thankful for Turtle91 and every one that tried to help