Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-04-2017, 06:39 PM   #16
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
No, the windows system does not have the "loop" system implemented, so you cannot mount image files in linux. I do have a Ubuntu VMware that I pop into if I need things like this though.
Well, if you are going to update the kernel in a package, you need that to move the kernel modules from system image to system image.

VMware? Rich man.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:11 AM   #17
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Well, if you are going to update the kernel in a package, you need that to move the kernel modules from system image to system image.

VMware? Rich man.
I have finished my attempts at updating the rootfs.img file, and unfortunately it does not appear to be possible right now.

The log from performing an update gives this information:
Code:
<4>[   50.353976] INFO:bundle/unbundle_wario.c:1947:unbundle_file():RootFS:Present siglen=256 sigpassed=NO
So in the FB02 ( factory style ) update packages, each individual file is still signed. And we woudl need to production key to get past that.

At this point, I am looking for a volunteer to test the following on a Manga Model kindle that has not done any updates past 5.8.7 ( or is fresh out of the box with 5.8.9.0.1 )

I have a franken-update containing the following items.

1. A Properly signed 5.8.7 uBoot ( uBoot is where the previous PW3-32gb bricks whose threads I have been on were located )
  • PW3-32 support was added in 5.8.5 - that version has some unuasual features so I went up to 5.8.7 which should also fully support pw3-32
2. A Properly signed 5.8.7 uImage ( Linux kernel )
3. A properly signed linux file system from PW3-4gb 5.7.4 ( the one that we can jailbreak )

I recognize that it is a bad idea to mismatch the uImage kernel and the kernel modules living in the filesystem, but based on my experiences, I believe that it would function well enough to allow a user to run the jailbreak, hotfix, and then update to the real 5.8.7 getting everything matched back up.

Last edited by coplate; 08-05-2017 at 12:16 AM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 01:17 AM   #18
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
- - - - -
I recognize that it is a bad idea to mismatch the uImage kernel and the kernel modules living in the filesystem, but based on my experiences, I believe that it would function well enough to allow a user to run the jailbreak, hotfix, and then update to the real 5.8.7 getting everything matched back up.
The worst that can happen is they will not load when needed.

Moving the uImage includes the complete initramfs (with the modules needed to run it).

So you can expect early user space to run as intended.
It would only be after the 'switch root' step of the start-up process where things might go sideways.

But early user space includes the "Recovery Menu".
So if it can be arranged to make the system stop at that point, prior to doing the switch to the real rootfs ...

- - - -

Wouldn't that test pass if the OTA updater that is part of the early user space contained our key?
To date, we have never tried adding our key to the keys included with early user space (for what is considered a good reason).

PM me if you want to know how to do it.
That because of our prohibition on giving Lab126 any more lessons.

Last edited by knc1; 08-05-2017 at 01:19 AM.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:46 AM   #19
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - - -
Wouldn't that test pass if the OTA updater that is part of the early user space contained our key?
To date, we have never tried adding our key to the keys included with early user space (for what is considered a good reason).

PM me if you want to know how to do it.
That because of our prohibition on giving Lab126 any more lessons.
Please ignore most of what I wrote later at night than my usual bedtime.

It was mostly early senility writing, not clear thinking.
I'll gather together some actual thoughts on this war with Amazon and PM them to you later today or early this evening (ref: my time of course).
Old 08-07-2017, 10:50 PM   #20
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here is a version of usbnet installer that should work on any touch screen kindles up to 2017-08-07. I have left this in the form where it can be applied to any software version. "scratch" will be my shorthand for these packages where there is no 'target OTA', which should let it install on any newer version of the OS as well.

It is still model locked to all of the hardware I know about right now, but this includes all known oasis models and all know paperwhite models ( including manga version )

Spoiler:

Code:
Made with this command

$ KT_WITH_UNKNOWN_DEVCODES=1 ./kindletool create ota2 -d touch -d paperwhite -d paperwhite2 -d paperwhite3 -d 26D -d 26E -d 26F -d 270 -d 293 -d 294 -d basic -d voyage -d oasis -d 219 -d 21A -d 21B -d 21C -d basic2 -d kindle5  -O -s 0 -t 18446744073709551615 Update_usbnet_0.21.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3_koa_kt3_converted.tar.gz Update_usbnet_0.21N_scratch.bin

$ ./kindletool convert -i Update_usbnet_0.21N_scratch.bin
Checking update package 'Update_usbnet_0.21N_scratch.bin'.
Bundle         SP01 (Signing Envelope)
Cert number    0
Cert file      pubdevkey01.pem (Developer)
Bundle         FC04 (OTA [ota])
Bundle Type    OTA V2
Minimum OTA    0
Target OTA     18446744073709551615
Devices        116

http://downloads.ficfeed.com/Kindle/...1N_scratch.bin
Old 08-14-2017, 03:01 AM   #21
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - -
I actually just finished installing the Windows 10 Linux subsystem, because I couldn't figure out how to get libraries installed for MinGW kindletool. OS I thought I would just use this new Windows 10 Linux system, and make linux binaries of it.
- - - -
The most likely reason you could not find any libraries to install for a MinGW build is because there are not any.
It is a 'native' windows application.

Unlike a cygwin build, that requires supporting cygwin library files.

- - - -

Sorry I did not answer this when you first posted it.
I intended to, but forgot.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:08 AM   #22
strategist922
strategist922 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle PW3
Dear Coplate,

I have ever successfully JB my PW3, but I do stupid thing to reset my kindle.

I try the following two firmware tou post, but both of them failed.
1. Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_nomax_install.bin
2. Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_5.8.10_install.bin
My PW3 show me Error message 7, when I try the formware you provide to update my kindle firmware.

May I have your help ?

or I miss some necessary steps?

Thanks in advance!
Quote:
Here is a hotfix build that shoudl work on all currently known touch models, up to software version 5.8.10. As long as the device has been jailbroken.

This is a version of the Hotfix for touch devices that will run on normal software versions ( not just the factory ). I have verified on my PW3 that the jailbreak itself remains through the rest process, but I needed this package to re-install the hotfix.

Spoiler:

Code:
Made with this command

$ KT_WITH_UNKNOWN_DEVCODES=1 ./kindletool create ota2 -d touch -d paperwhite -d paperwhite2 -d paperwhite3 -d 26D -d 26E -d 26F -d 270 -d 293 -d 294 -d basic -d voyage -d oasis -d 219 -d 21A -d 21B -d 21C -d basic2 -d kindle5 -O -s 0   Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.N_install_converted.tar.gz Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_5.8.10_install.bin

$ ./kindletool convert -i Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_5.8.10_install.bin
Checking update package 'Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_5.8.10_install.bin'.
Bundle         SP01 (Signing Envelope)
Cert number    0
Cert file      pubdevkey01.pem (Developer)
Bundle         FC04 (OTA [ota])
Bundle Type    OTA V2
Minimum OTA    0
Target OTA     3202090020

I have forked kindletool to allow me to retain software type FC04, and set all these values.
strategist922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:00 AM   #23
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by strategist922 View Post
Dear Coplate,

My PW3 show me Error message 7, when I try the formware you provide to update my kindle firmware.

May I have your help ?

Thanks in advance!
What firmware is it on now?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:30 AM   #24
strategist922
strategist922 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle PW3
Currently, my firmware version is 5.8.10
strategist922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:36 AM   #25
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Dear Coplate,

May I have your help ?

Thanks in advance!
Very likely you missed some necessary steps.
But we are unable to tell you what steps you missed until you tell us in detail what steps you took.

That is:
How did you try to use these?
In very specific detail.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:27 AM   #26
coplate
Guru

Quote:
Currently, my firmware version is 5.8.10
Were you on 5.8.10 when you hit the reset button? Or were you on an older one and then it updated after your reset?
Old 08-24-2017, 03:45 AM   #27
ash2017
ash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I am also getting error message 7. My details:
My Device: Kindle paperwhite touch (7th gen)
current: 5.8.10
JBed in an older version, when upgraded to 5.8.9, then restarted and accidentally reset.
Lost JB and Dummy *.bin cannot write any log file. Later upgraded to 5.8.10

Now tried both *.bin files but showed error 7.
ash2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:13 AM   #28
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash2017 View Post
I am also getting error message 7. My details:
My Device: Kindle paperwhite touch (7th gen)
current: 5.8.10
JBed in an older version, when upgraded to 5.8.9, then restarted and accidentally reset.
Lost JB and Dummy *.bin cannot write any log file. Later upgraded to 5.8.10

Now tried both *.bin files but showed error 7.
Congratulations!
You are now a candidate to try out my new "Serial Port Jail Break" instructions once I finish them.

This is my first answer of the day, so let me waste some time on telling this story one-more-time:

1. Upgrade with an Amazon system image file (the only thing they ship).
    This over-writes the Mobileread developer's signature certificate (a.k.a: the Jail Break).
  2. Restart (part of the image file installation process).
    The JB survival code re-installs the signature certificate (and a few other details).
  3. "Reset (to factory defaults)"
    This erases everything the user put on the Kindle or that the Kindle created for the user. Everything that did not come on a brand new Kindle.
    That includes the "JB survival code".
  4. At this point, the coplate "Master Hotfix Package" could have saved the day for you.
    But you did not use it at this point (fresh image, restart + reset)
  5. Installed another Amazon system image file.
    Once again, over-writing the re-installed signature certificate.
    That is now gone, just like it was in step #1.
  6. Restarted (part of the image update process).
    Only this time, due to steps #3 and #4 , there is no "JB survival code" to re-install the signature certificate.

Welcome to using the Kindle the way Amazon intended it to be used.

Steps #3 through #6 are the only sequence of actions that can completely remove our viral jail break.
But you managed to find them.
So once again, congratulations.

# 14 555 <- somehow appropriate
Old 08-24-2017, 02:44 PM   #29
ash2017
ash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:

Steps #3 through #6 are the only sequence of actions that can completely remove our viral jail break.
But you managed to find them.
So once again, congratulations.

..... speechless !

but thanks for your easy to understand explanation.

Last edited by ash2017; 08-24-2017 at 02:54 PM.
ash2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:39 PM   #30
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash2017 View Post

..... speechless !

but thanks for your easy to understand explanation.
You lucked out.
It was the first answer I wrote of the day.

At this other end of the day, some of my answers may not be quite that clear.