Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-12-2019, 08:26 AM   #1
Glendarian
Glendarian began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 350
PRS-350 not connecting in Wndows 10

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but I can't find anything quite relevant.
My Reader PRS-350 isn't connecting to my new computer (an Acer machine on Windows 10; I was on Windows 7 before).
When I plug the Reader into a USB port, it's not detected. On the Reader screen it shows a connection, because the charging symbol in the bottom right comes on, but it's not recognised as a device/drive by the PC. I've tried different leads, and a spare Reader (also PRS-350). Nothing seems to be working.
I'll be gutted if I can't use it - thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Glendarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:08 AM   #2
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
My 350s connect to my Windows 10 laptop with no problem. Have you tried a full on Device Shutdown on the reader? Then turn it back on and see if it'll connect. That usually works for me.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:05 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Or try Windows 7, OS X or Linux.
I have 3 x win 10 systems. All painful. Two are x86-64 keyboard tablets that are identical, yet one silently fails on update.
It's probably a Win 10 driver problem. Networks, sound devices etc have vanished after updates and only browsing to windows.old for a driver fixed it.

Try deletion of USB device in Win10 device manager when the PRS350 is connected and re-install. Mine works OK on XP, Win7 and Linux. I've not tried it on Win10.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:09 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
My 350s connect to my Windows 10 laptop with no problem.
I just tried a 350 on my wife's desktop Windows 10 Pro computer without issue. So I don't think this is a Windows 10 issue.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:55 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
But not even same HW Win10 systems behave the same. It may or may not be a Win10 issue. If it connects as Mass Storage to ANY other OS, esp Windows 7, then it's a Win 10 USB device driver issue.
It's not like it's an Apple thingy, which need iTunes or even Apple Cloud on Windows but don't on Linux.

My Wacom tablet and Creative USB Audio I/O both work on some Windows installs and on others you have to delete in the Device Manager and MANUALLY browse to correct driver as "automatically check Windows Update" or such loads same wrong one. Same with built in sound on one Win10 tablet after an update.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:32 PM   #6
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
My prs-350 connects just fine to windows 10 as well. Have you tried a couple different cables?
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:12 PM   #7
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
My prs-350 connects just fine to windows 10 as well.
Ditto, my three PRS-350s work fine on my Windows 10 desktop and two laptops. Apparently you've tried different cables/"different leads". Have you tried another USB port? A long shot, but could both your 350s have too little charge? Mine won't connect with a weak charge. If in doubt, charge it through A/C (mains), or else leave it overnight on the PC to charge and make sure it says "Charge Completed" in the morning.

Sorry, no other ideas if those don't pan out, except maybe install Sony's Reader for PC (link here) to see if that gets your 350s recognized?
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote