Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-19-2022, 03:25 PM   #46
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I signed up for the Metropolitan card. Very fast and easy.

They have three titles Brooklyn didn't have.
Looking further through my wish list, Metropolitan has eight titles Brooklyn doesn't easily covering the $70 fee. Also, it seems Metro adds about 1700 ebook titles per month, a healthy number.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 02:18 PM   #47
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Well, that’s a blow. My state OverDrive stinks, to put it mildly. However, I think they’re entirely in the right; $50 was never going to cover the costs of an aggressive out-of-state user.
Whattayamean "aggressive"? I never read more than a book a day.

I'm going to use some very foul language: @#^*&@$%&^

I just paid a month or two ago for a Brooklyn card and I've been happy with it so far.
They often have availability on books that my other two (legit) libraries don't have.
Too bad that they hadn't offered a lifetime option.

I guess that I'll be moving to Oklahoma next year. Or sooner?
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2022, 08:19 PM   #48
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
One option for many Americans is getting access to free military eBook collection(s).

Years ago, DOD had a expansive definition of who qualified as a being in the family of a military member, and I had access to two military collections. Eventually, my Air Force card expired, and the general DOD collection I was using was closed. My son in law doesn’t know it, but eventually we’ll be on base again and I’ll get him to go to the library (bases often have one similar to a public library) and sponsor me, if that is the current system.

It used to be that you could get access over the web, and they would take your word for it that you were a relative of someone with a military association. I never posted about that, at the time, because it seemed open to abuse. I think the policy now is fairly liberal but you need someone with a military association (active duty, retired, works on a base, etc.) to sponsor you.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 07-21-2022 at 08:23 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 09:03 PM   #49
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
One option for many Americans is getting access to free military eBook collection(s).

Years ago, DOD had a expansive definition of who qualified as a being in the family of a military member, and I had access to two military collections. Eventually, my Air Force card expired, and the general DOD collection I was using was closed. My son in law doesn’t know it, but eventually we’ll be on base again and I’ll get him to go to the library (bases often have one similar to a public library) and sponsor me, if that is the current system.

It used to be that you could get access over the web, and they would take your word for it that you were a relative of someone with a military association. I never posted about that, at the time, because it seemed open to abuse. I think the policy now is fairly liberal but you need someone with a military association (active duty, retired, works on a base, etc.) to sponsor you.

DoD MWR Digital Library
Quote:
Authorized Patrons Today:
  • Active duty military (Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard).
  • Members of the Reserve components and National Guard.
  • Retired military, including retired from the Reserves and National Guard.
  • Medal of Honor recipients and veterans with 100% service-connected disabilities.
  • Eligible family members who are officially sponsored (ID card holder) by authorized patrons in the above categories.
  • DOD and Coast Guard civilians, including appropriated and non-appropriated fund employees, when stationed outside the United States; stateside eligibility contingent upon resource availability.
These are generalized categories; eligibility per DoDI 1015.10.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 12:04 AM   #50
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I recommended a title on July 18th from Metro Library and today the 25th they purchased it and placed it on hold for me. Great service.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2022, 06:48 AM   #51
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I recommended a title on July 18th from Metro Library and today the 25th they purchased it and placed it on hold for me. Great service.
Same for me. I recommended 2 books on 7/18 and they were both added. It could be a coincidence as these are both upcoming releases.

My one nitpick is that they purchase pre-releases too far in advance. It makes my hold list max out (the maximum number is 10).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 07:26 AM   #52
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
My one nitpick is that they purchase pre-releases too far in advance. It makes my hold list max out (the maximum number is 10).
This strikes me as good policy. It makes people prioritize their holds and therefore keeps overall holds in check; it can also help them manage purchases by identifying highest demand books. So essentially people get a few most-wanted books early, but have to enter the scrum for the rest. The longer the hold list, the flatter the projected demand and the less useful as a purchasing tool.

I’ve got nine months to run in Brooklyn but shall be visiting OK eventually and I’ve already identified a few pricey books they own that Brooklyn doesn’t and hasn’t bought on my recommendation, :sniff: . I just hope they don’t come to the same conclusion as Brooklyn and FLP in the meantime…..
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 02:51 PM   #53
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
This strikes me as good policy. It makes people prioritize their holds and therefore keeps overall holds in check; it can also help them manage purchases by identifying highest demand books. So essentially people get a few most-wanted books early, but have to enter the scrum for the rest. The longer the hold list, the flatter the projected demand and the less useful as a purchasing tool.

With BPL, I normally didn't have more then 5 books on hold, and no pre-releases on my wishlist. With Metro, I have my hold list maxed out, and several pre-releases in my wishlist. For myself with Metro, there will be thrashing in my hold list; books will be moving back and forth between the two lists.

I would think most readers would have a better idea of what is a higher priority the closer they are to release date.

And recommends throws another variable into mix for the library.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 06:27 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I do sometimes is put the same book on hold at various libraries and see which one I'll get it from first and then I'll delete the others. I may have multiple holds when I'm not sure which one will be first.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-26-2022 at 06:39 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 06:57 PM   #55
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
This strikes me as good policy.
I was initially skeptical that my taste would harmonize with those of Oklahomans, but it turns out to be an excellent library for me.

I don't recommend purchases for fear a library will overpay for a book no one else will read. But a day or two ago I put in a hold for this title, not in the Brooklyn collection, and marked as 0 copies available with 0 owned. This means OKC used to have a license, but it expired -- right?

It came in today.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 10:07 PM   #56
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I do sometimes is put the same book on hold at various libraries and see which one I'll get it from first and then I'll delete the others. I may have multiple holds when I'm not sure which one will be first.
I do this all the time for upcoming releases, depending on how many holds I have free and how eager I am to read the book immediately upon publication.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 03:41 AM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I do this all the time for upcoming releases, depending on how many holds I have free and how eager I am to read the book immediately upon publication.
Another thing I'll do. If I want a book that's not yet released, I'll recommend it at a number of libraries so hopefully, this book will be bought and i'll not be too high on the wait list at least at one library.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 04:48 AM   #58
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Non-Resident Library Cards -- updated 27 Jul 2022

Note: OverDrive collections only - other vendors may be available
  1. Metropolitan Lib (OK) --- $70/year --- 164,992 epub --- 155,737 kindle --- 70,319 mp3
  2. Stark Library (OH) ------- $30/year --- 161,569 epub --- 152,146 kindle --- 50,529 mp3
  3. Multnomah Cty (OR) ---- $180/yr ----- 143,409 epub --- 126,803 kindle --- 59,381 mp3
  4. Orange County (FL) ----- $125/yr ----- 116,241 epub --- 100,248 kindle --- 33,301 mp3

5. Toledo Lucas (OH) ------- $75/year --- 77,241 epub --- 73,179 kindle --- 35,692 mp3
  6. Westchester (NY) -------- $75/year --- 52,522 epub --- 51,125 kindle --- 15,091 mp3
  7. Houston Public (TX) ----- $40/year --- 49,357 epub --- 47,147 kindle --- 23,168 mp3
  8. Queens Public (NY) ------ $50/year --- 48,994 epub --- 47,649 kindle --- 10,012 mp3
  9. St Louis Public (MO) ----- $40/year --- 46,222 epub --- 42,776 kindle ----- 8,646 mp3
  10. Chapel Hill Pub (NC) ----- $65/year --- 45,532 epub --- 41,763 kindle --- 17,859 mp3
  11. Salt Lake City (UT) ------- $80/year --- 42,285 epub --- 37,439 kindle --- 21,227 mp3
  12. Miami-Dade Lib (FL) ----- $65/year --- 41,899 epub --- 38,683 kindle --- 18,366 mp3
  13. Monroe County (NY) ----- $25/year --- 39,090 epub --- 37,485 kindle --- 11,997 mp3
  14. Fairfax County (VA) ------ $27/year --- 32,585 epub --- 33,359 kindle --- 20,679 mp3
  15. New Orleans (LA) -------- $50/year --- 30,061 epub --- 29,711 kindle --- 25,290 mp3
  16. C Mecklenburg (NC) ----- $45/year --- 28,806 epub --- 28,410 kindle ----- 6,946 mp3
  17. Enoch Pratt Lib (MD) ---- $50/year --- 23,228 epub --- 21,302 kindle --- 11,017 mp3
  18. Detroit Public (MI) ------ $100/yr ----- 10,954 epub --- 10,789 kindle ----- 4,903 mp3

Library Systems -- these libraries are part of larger library systems (see above for stats)
Restricted Non-Resident Library Cards
Former Non-Resident Library Cards.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 07-27-2022 at 11:56 PM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 06:31 AM   #59
spacepope
Zealot
spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 3, Smartphone
I signed up for Stark Library after reading this reddit thread, and I got a card within a few days! They were really kind and it has a LOT of titles my local library does not. It's only $30... if I read 4 books on it it'll be worth it! Which I most definitely will.

My local library has 35K ebooks and 15K audiobooks. My state library has 28K ebooks and 14K audiobooks. Both are rather good collections, and I can't complain too much. But I love SFF and both my local and state libraries are lacking in that regard. Stark Library seems to help solve this problem
spacepope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 07:02 AM   #60
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Too bad this forum doesn't support tables in BB code:
Here is a pasteup from another forum:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	libraries.png
Views:	159
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	195341  
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote