Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-18-2010, 12:46 AM   #1
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Best ereader in Australia

Not sure if this has been posted as yet.

cnet review of the best e-readers available in Australia.

http://www.cnet.com.au/best-e-reader...9304247.htm#vp

Worth at the very least a look at.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:04 AM   #2
Valhalla
Zealot
Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Pretty shallow review IMHO. Sony has it's own 'DRM-trap' like any other reader. Lack of wi-fi and/or 3g seems a big feature to be missing considering it's almost double the price of other options.
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
karenr_nz
Connoisseur
karenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-books

Device: PB360
Thanks SabreDog. This may be useful to forward to a few friends in Aussie considering ebook readers.

Although the review is a bit shallow, it at least provides a starting place for people to begin their own investigations. I notice, though that the don't include the EcoReader (Hanlin clone).
karenr_nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:46 PM   #4
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenr_nz View Post
Thanks SabreDog. This may be useful to forward to a few friends in Aussie considering ebook readers.

Although the review is a bit shallow, it at least provides a starting place for people to begin their own investigations. I notice, though that the don't include the EcoReader (Hanlin clone).
They had the BeBook Mini which is identical to the Eco Eclipse (and realistically other than the 5" having a toggle wheel on the right and the 6" having volume buttons instead they are essentially identical units. Take those away and you have a 5" with 8-greylevels vs 6" with 16-greylevels).

I think the comparisons were pretty poor. It is more of a list of ereaders that are easily available to Australians (and in Australia).

Be careful though, the new Kindle is priced at $189AUS and the Kobo $199AUS according to cnet (untrue for both). For the life of me I cannot fathom why there is so much emphasis on wifi/3g. If I can sync with my computer I am happy, wifi/3g is icing on the cake.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:09 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Anyone here tried the new (supposedly Oz-friendly) Kogan? We bought one of one of our Australian authors and are currently waiting to hear how it's handling. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Neil. Try here...

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...t=1492253&p=17
Old 10-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #7
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenr_nz View Post

Hi all,

I thought the "best" tag was subjective at the very least, and the exclusion of the EcoReader (with its new, lower price) was poor. Clicking on the link to "Full Review" did provide far more information, though more comprehensive reviews are available elsewhere.

Pricing for the Kobo is out of date - it is now AUD$180-ish. I can't see too many people shelling out nearly $570 for a BeBook Neo with the Aussie dollar at near-parity with the US dollar.

I'd be wary too, of a review rating of 9+ with only a handful of user reports back. Far too small a sample size.

I thought the information provided was generally not too bad, though.

Cheers,
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:10 AM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Thanks, Sabre. I just sent that forum link to the author I mentioned who we set up with a Kogan. She's a member here, so I hope she can come back with a review soon. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:14 PM   #9
sabredog

N worries Neil. I have read so many mixed reports about the Kogan. Be nice to get another perspective.

The brand name tends to be loved or hated.