Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #1
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Friggin' Fictionwise!

Okay,

I bought via pre-order, two ebooks, one by W.E.B. Griffin and one by Nancy Holzner. Both of these were due to be available TODAY! Then, this morning, before attempting to download them, I perused the new books and snagged one by Morgan Crewe.

So I went into My Bookshelf and downloaded the Morgan Crewe novel, opened it up, and what to my wondering eyes appeared? A Jules Verne story, "Godfrey (some last name) - A California Mystery"! That's right, a completely different novel!

Sent in a complaint asking for the book I purchased. Then I went on to download my supposedly-now-available novels from Griffin and Holzner. You got it! *BOTH* of them are listed as available but the friggin system reports they're not found!!!

What the frig is up with Fictionwise!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:01 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Calm down, Derek, and just report it to FW. Just human error - these things happen from time to time. No point in getting upset about it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 04:46 AM   #3
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Wouldnt happen if he went to a bookstore would it though.

Its a clear example of why ebooks are still going to be a hard sell to the public.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:48 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post

Its a clear example of why ebooks are still going to be a hard sell to the public.
I've ordered a paper book from Amazon and been sent the wrong one. Human error. It happens.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:57 AM   #5
yagiz
http://is.gd/4flJX
yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've ordered a paper book from Amazon and been sent the wrong one. Human error. It happens.
The good thing with Amazon when this happens, though, you got to keep the first book . I hope it was to your liking .
yagiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 05:00 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I didn't keep it - I sent it back.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:08 AM   #7
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hence why I said went into a bookstore, Amazon is not a bookstore its an online retailer.

I know you know taht HarryT im just getting annoyed by how buying Ebooks works, Ive started a new thread on the subject as its got me riled
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:14 AM   #8
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
For the savings you get at Fictionwise I'd be more than happy to have to live with the occasional glitch. I just compared the PB prices of ebooks I bought and savings amount to around $180.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:27 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post

It has happened that books and covers have been mis-matched, and reached bookshops. Even more common is a binding error that either leaves out a section, or puts it in the wrong place and/or upside down.

All products are subject to faults.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:33 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It has happened that books and covers have been mis-matched, and reached bookshops. Even more common is a binding error that either leaves out a section, or puts it in the wrong place and/or upside down.

All products are subject to faults.
Very true. I bought a very expensive illustrated edition of "The Lord of the Rings". Three months later, I picked it up, and a quarter of the pages fell out - they hadn't been properly glued into the binding. That's never happened to me with an eBook...

I took it back to Waterstones, which is where I'd bought in from, and they replaced it without question, even though it was three months old. Good service,that!
Old 12-30-2009, 07:11 AM   #11
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I still have an ebook I bought 10 years ago. The pages still look like new, binding is perfect, and the cover is pristine. This even though I have moved twice, read it twice and dragged it around everywhere. My wife has a few paper backs bought at the same time, they don't look so good......
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:04 AM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
I still have an ebook I bought 10 years ago. The pages still look like new, binding is perfect, and the cover is pristine. This even though I have moved twice, read it twice and dragged it around everywhere. My wife has a few paper backs bought at the same time, they don't look so good......

DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:50 AM   #13
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
I've noticed that Fictionwise isn't offering recently released ebooks that I can get at Diesel Ebooks. They are fairly popular authors in the Romance genre and FW has carried their books in the past so it's very curious. I've also noticed that they are taking longer and longer to release books in the lit format (or even mobi) while releasing in their proprietary ereader format first. They blame it on the publishers but I've seen those formats at Diesel before Fictionwise releases them. I particularly don't like the way they release new ebooks only on Tuesdays. I've been a VERY loyal FW customer for years but am seriously considering changing camps. The only thing keeping me there is the Buywise club and the micropay dollars. If my frustration level keeps rising, though, that may not be enough to keep me there.

I worried that the merger (or buyout) with Barnes and Noble was going to muck up the works and I'm afraid it's starting to happen.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:51 AM   #14
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
I have hardcover books that I bought 10-15 years ago and read that if you looked at them and even opened them, you would swear they had never been previously opened and certainly never read. I also have some older paperbacks that look like theyu have not been read except for a narrow crease in the spine.

I think it is a matter of how you handle pbooks. My son handles books much more carefully these days than he did in his teens. In his teens, once he read a book it was ready for recycling (not book recycling, garbage recycling); today he at least is careful with my books.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:55 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
I've noticed that Fictionwise isn't offering recently released ebooks that I can get at Diesel Ebooks. They are fairly popular authors in the Romance genre and FW has carried their books in the past so it's very curious. I've also noticed that they are taking longer and longer to release books in the lit format (or even mobi) while releasing in their proprietary ereader format first. They blame it on the publishers but I've seen those formats at Diesel before Fictionwise releases them. I particularly don't like the way they release new ebooks only on Tuesdays. I've been a VERY loyal FW customer for years but am seriously considering changing camps. The only thing keeping me there is the Buywise club and the micropay dollars. If my frustration level keeps rising, though, that may not be enough to keep me there.

I worried that the merger (or buyout) with Barnes and Noble was going to muck up the works and I'm afraid it's starting to happen.
The problem is that Overdrive dropped Fictionwise. So eBooks available only via Overdrive won't be available from Fictionwise. No idea about going direct to B&N though.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote