Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 01-16-2018, 01:55 PM   #2161
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I was reading ebooks, not listening, but I couldn't get interested in the Liveship books (from the samples). So I stopped for a few years, and then learned that there was a new trilogy with Fitz and The Fool as stars. "The Tawny Man" trilogy. THAT was very good!!!

Of course, then you want to read the last trilogy too, "Fitz and the Fool" trilogy. The last one just came out May 2017. I read it this past fall.

It may be time to start at the beginning and do all 9 books all over again!
I can see where this is a series to be reread often!

The Assassin's Apprentice was my first book when I signed up for Audible -- I think it was a freebie -- and I can't believe it took me this long to get around to listening to it. I even bought the ebook when I was in the middle of the second audiobook (because I was impatient to see where it was going) and I finished reading the whole trilogy before I started the third audiobook!

Because I enjoyed it so much that way, I thought maybe I would get both the audio and ebook versions of the Liveship Traders, but it will probably be better if I listen for a while first, especially given the mixed reviews I've seen on it.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:44 AM   #2162
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
It hasn't happened lately, but in the past I have had credits pile up. When that happens I ask for a "break" (I can't remember exactly the phrase Audible uses) which I think lasts for 3 months and no credits or charges accrue, giving you a chance to catch up a bit. It's better than cancelling altogether, as I did once, because I then had to go through the hassle of signing up again later.
I've been doing two credits per month 9 months out of the year. It really only works if I find a new series to dump a bunch of credits on, but I'm less inhibited about spending credits on shorter books sometimes at the lower per-credit cost. On the other hand, it's still an almost $200/year audiobook habit >_>

I'm still neck deep in Oathbringer - I don't think I was quite as near halfway last time as I thought. Starting to feel separation anxiety about the book ending, and the long haul to the next volume...

Having taken a good chunk out of the Wheel of Time series since I last read Sanderson, the influence is hard to miss, but I'd still say Sanderson runs circles around Jordan.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2018, 01:35 PM   #2163
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
I can see where this is a series to be reread often!

The Assassin's Apprentice was my first book when I signed up for Audible -- I think it was a freebie -- and I can't believe it took me this long to get around to listening to it. I even bought the ebook when I was in the middle of the second audiobook (because I was impatient to see where it was going) and I finished reading the whole trilogy before I started the third audiobook!

Because I enjoyed it so much that way, I thought maybe I would get both the audio and ebook versions of the Liveship Traders, but it will probably be better if I listen for a while first, especially given the mixed reviews I've seen on it.
Yes, I got the first book "Assassin's Apprentice" as a free ebook. They knew what they were doing! I bought 8 more books after that, albeit with an 8-10 year time span until they were all written.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:02 PM   #2164
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I just finished The Warden, Trollope's first Barsetshire novel, read by Simon Vance. Not the best of Trollope; as I recall, he hits his stride with the next book. I'm looking forward to Mrs. Proudie. I've also been listening to Wodehouse's The Clicking of Cuthbert, read by Frederick Davidson. A sign of Wodehouse's genius is that he can make golf interesting and funny.

Davidson and Vance are two of my favorite narrators and they're also the two who narrate by far the most of my listens. It can get a little weird; I find myself thinking, "A little Jack Aubrey in that voice," or "He's channeling Sgt. Harper right now." The voices all run into each other after a while.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:14 AM   #2165
ReadOnTheRun
Read Runner
ReadOnTheRun began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle E-Reader
I just finished reading aka "listening to" Future Crimes by Marc Goodman! It is a really good book for anyone that likes or enjoys technology, which I am assuming all of us here do.

The book is a real eye opener as to how much information Google and all the big corporations have on each and every one of us and we don't even know it.
ReadOnTheRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2018, 12:44 PM   #2166
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Relistening to the Sookie Stackhouse series. I never listened to the last 3 books, and it's been so long, I decided to just start from the beginning. Really enjoying it. In between, I'm trying to listen to some audiobooks I've had for years and never got to such as Pandora's Star (yes, this is a LONG one!).
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:09 PM   #2167
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
The Man of Property

Just finished listening to the David Case narration of Sir John Galsworthy's The Man of Property. (First in The Forsyte Saga. Ebook versions are available here in the Patricia Clark Memorial Library.)

A classic work of capitalism and property, with a bit of love story thrown in for good measure. Soames is the ultimate Man of Property, and a truly loathsome character. The Audible edition, from Blackstone Audio and read by David Case, is a superb example of a good audio book being even better than the original. David Case's narration brings the characters and the drama alive. I have tried to read this in eBook format several times, always bogging down at some point. But listening to Mr. Case's narration of the book on a long trip was a complete revelation and made the tedium of long stretches of driving positively enjoyable. Highly Recommended.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:17 PM   #2168
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Davidson and Vance are two of my favorite narrators and they're also the two who narrate by far the most of my listens. It can get a little weird; I find myself thinking, "A little Jack Aubrey in that voice," or "He's channeling Sgt. Harper right now." The voices all run into each other after a while.
Davidson is, of course, David Case, and having just read his The Man of Property, I'm reminded once again of just how good he was. Not sure if you ever saw this obituary in the Washington Post, but I thought it quite interesting.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:12 AM   #2169
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
What are we listening to? (audiobooks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Just finished listening to the David Case narration of Sir John Galsworthy's The Man of Property. (First in The Forsyte Saga. Ebook versions are available here in the Patricia Clark Memorial Library.)

A classic work of capitalism and property....

Sounds interesting. And for those on a budget who love audiobooks there's a Librivox freebie of the Forsyte Saga. The bad news is all three books are collaborative efforts. They may surprise me and turn out to be very listenable, but my experience to date has been that narration by solo Librivox volunteers has tended to be far superior to the uneven results produced by groups of volunteers each taking a few chapters. Still, you can't argue with free, and it may turn out to be a pleasant exception.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:09 PM   #2170
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I listened to The Walls, by Hollie Overton, read by Therese Plummer. I didn't like Overton's first book, Baby Doll, but I decided to give her another chance, and this book was a definite improvement. The heroine--who is extremely annoying and wimpy--works in the press office of the Texas prison system, where her job requires her to interact with death row inmates and witness executions. So when she decides to commit a murder, she knows a lot about what not to do.

There really aren't any thriller-ish twists or surprises here, and not a lot of suspense beyond whether she'll be able to commit the perfect crime, but I liked it anyway.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:23 AM   #2171
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've also been listening to Wodehouse's The Clicking of Cuthbert, read by Frederick Davidson. A sign of Wodehouse's genius is that he can make golf interesting and funny.
Not my favorite Wodehouse, but that's like saying not my favorite kind of pizza. The real problem is that I think Wodehousian short stories should be read at intervals, especially in themed collections like this as the stories do get repetitive; it's the reason I space out Wodehouse anyway. But once I'm listening, I just barrel through. Perhaps I should just up the next collection and listen to it in odd moments, to avoid this reaction.

I'm casting around for my next listen; I don't quite know what I'm in the mood for.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:40 AM   #2172
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I just finished The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen, narrated by Julia Whelan.

It was twisty and fun, with several good surprises detonated along the way. However, presumably coincidentally, it was uncannily similar to The Last Mrs. Parrish, which I read when it came out a couple of months back.

I think I would give the edge to Mrs. Parrish, but that might be because I read it first, and Wife covered much the same territory, in much the same way. Both books were even structured similarly, and both had two authors.

Haven't decided what to read next ...

Last edited by Catlady; 01-23-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:48 AM   #2173
CRussel
(he/him/his)

I seem to be stuck in some sort of time warp. I got started on In Chancery, the second of the Forsyte novels, read by David Case. But then the trip ended and I'm waiting a bit to go back to it. So, based on a link in the David Case obit I mentioned, I started Martin Chuzzlewitt, also read by David Case. Which was going well, but someone suggested I read some Trollope, so I started The Warden. Not, in this case, read by David Case, but the Timothy West narration. Which is going well. The plan is to finish off the Trollope, then go back to the second of the Forsyte books, and only then return to the Dickens. And who said I only read genre?
Old 01-23-2018, 02:02 PM   #2174
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I read some Trollope, so I started The Warden. Not, in this case, read by David Case, but the Timothy West narration. Which is going well. The plan is to finish off the Trollope, then go back to the second of the Forsyte books, and only then return to the Dickens. And who said I only read genre?
I've been listening to the Trollope Palliser novels read by Timothy West and I think he's wonderful. I've just finished The Warden but I went with the Simon Vance narration as the one my OD library had. Of the two, I think I'd choose West as my interpreter of Trollope; not that there's anything wrong with Vance, of course, but a fresh voice, equally talented, is a good thing.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:36 PM   #2175
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
I've been listening to the Trollope Palliser novels read by Timothy West and I think he's wonderful. I've just finished The Warden but I went with the Simon Vance narration as the one my OD library had. Of the two, I think I'd choose West as my interpreter of Trollope; not that there's anything wrong with Vance, of course, but a fresh voice, equally talented, is a good thing.
Yes, I listened to the 5 minute samples of both, and I agree, I think the Timothy West is better. Hopefully I can find some actual time to listen. Life has been intruding now that I'm back.

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations