Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 02:21 PM   #1
sternbyname
sternbyname began at the beginning.

Device: none
Feature Request - Wirless Sync All Books

I've suggested this in the middle of a separate discussion of a possible bug, so I've pulled it out as this is actually a new feature request.
It would be great to have a 'Wireless Sync All Books' option which would ensure that the CC library matched the Calibre one. That would mean any new books in Calibre added to CC, any books in CC that aren't on Calibre deleted from CC, any changed books or tags etc brought over to CC.
It's quite complicated to achieve this currently - in fact the only way of doing it securely that I know of is to delete all books in CC then re-import the whole Calibre library.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:35 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sternbyname View Post
I've suggested this in the middle of a separate discussion of a possible bug, so I've pulled it out as this is actually a new feature request.
It would be great to have a 'Wireless Sync All Books' option which would ensure that the CC library matched the Calibre one. That would mean any new books in Calibre added to CC, any books in CC that aren't on Calibre deleted from CC, any changed books or tags etc brought over to CC.
It's quite complicated to achieve this currently - in fact the only way of doing it securely that I know of is to delete all books in CC then re-import the whole Calibre library.
Sorry, but this won't happen for the reasons that I gave in the other thread. By definition, a book in calibre matches a book on a calibre device if the generated device file names are the same. Calibre is in control of what happens to books on the device.

As for achieving this result: add the ID to the device file name. If you do that then after you do one of your delete/add operations you can immediately and easily see in calibre which books in calibre no longer match books on the device and react accordingly.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:49 PM   #3
sternbyname

[I already have the ID in the file name.]
It's a feature request, that's all. Maybe in another world and time it will be possible to make one set of books match another. Let us dreamers dream.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:30 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
[I already have the ID in the file name.]
It's a feature request, that's all. Maybe in another world and time it will be possible to make one set of books match another. Let us dreamers dream.
Just use calibre to transfer all books. Then any new books add to the reading list plugin to have added upon connection. Finally quit deleting then re-adding books to update a book. This is sloppy and causes your mismatched books. Simply drag-n-drop the updated book to the book details pane of the book you wish updated in calibre and the book will be updated. Then follow Chaley's directions below and your books will always be current.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
If you want the actual books to be updated use "Wireless device connection/Sync newer book files". This makes calibre check the timestamp on the book in the calibre library and send it to CC if the book is newer than the one in CC. Go to Settings / Connecting to calibre then check the appropriate box. Uncheck the other Wireless device connection type if you want CC + calibre to always check the timestamp. For more info see our FAQ What does "Sync newer book files" (Settings / Connecting to calibre) do?

This cannot be the default for two reasons:
  • Checking the timestamp in calibre can be very slow, causing syncing to also be slow.
  • The calibre viewer can change the timestamp of a book. We don't want to download the book every time that happens
Also note that calibre does not store the fact that you changed the book, so it can't tell the difference between editing and replacing a book.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:00 AM   #5
sternbyname

Wow, this is one hostile forum.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:26 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Wow, this is one hostile forum.
I gave you concise instructions to achieve your goal. If you don't like the suggestion, fine.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:05 AM   #7
sternbyname

1. Describing someone as 'sloppy' is hostile. It is also nonsense - deleting an old version of a book and adding a new means the tags match the new version of the book (publisher, description, cover etc). You want to keep the tags from the old book then drag and drop. You want the new then delete and add. Calibre works perfectly either way. Nothing 'sloppy' about either, and no need to order other people to do what you do. CC Wireless Sync unfortunately fails with the delete-and-add, changing the tags but not the epub. But all of this is to do with the Wireless Sync bug report anyway, not this feature request.
2. This post is for is a feature request which is completely separate from my bug report. To clarify, I'm requesting a 'Wireless Sync All' convenience function which would ensure the CC library matched the Calibre one. I think to achieve this it would need to do three things:
* Sync any current books - which Wireless Sync does now.
* Add any new books - which you can do for instance with the Content Server > Upload All.
* Delete any orphaned books, ie books in CC which have been deleted for whatever reason in Calibre.
3. This is a feature request, that's all. I'm a developer myself, I know that some features get done, some don't, depending on how useful they will be and how easy they are to do. That's fine. Just don't flame me for requesting it.

Last edited by sternbyname; 08-16-2018 at 03:07 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:05 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
1. Describing someone as 'sloppy' is hostile. It is also nonsense - deleting an old version of a book and adding a new means the tags match the new version of the book (publisher, description, cover etc). You want to keep the tags from the old book then drag and drop. You want the new then delete and add. Calibre works perfectly either way. Nothing 'sloppy' about either, and no need to order other people to do what you do. CC Wireless Sync unfortunately fails with the delete-and-add, changing the tags but not the epub. But all of this is to do with the Wireless Sync bug report anyway, not this feature request.
2. This post is for is a feature request which is completely separate from my bug report. To clarify, I'm requesting a 'Wireless Sync All' convenience function which would ensure the CC library matched the Calibre one. I think to achieve this it would need to do three things:
* Sync any current books - which Wireless Sync does now.
* Add any new books - which you can do for instance with the Content Server > Upload All.
* Delete any orphaned books, ie books in CC which have been deleted for whatever reason in Calibre.
3. This is a feature request, that's all. I'm a developer myself, I know that some features get done, some don't, depending on how useful they will be and how easy they are to do. That's fine. Just don't flame me for requesting it.
You are like a 2 year old who does not get his way and smashes his toys on the wall.
You also probably drive the other way on one-way streets because that is what you want to do.

ANY Software has a 'by design' work flow and update process.
You chose to invent your own process that was not supported by the code. (And there is very good reasons for the way it works. Some folk want to KEEP both versions in their Library)
Old 08-16-2018, 10:26 AM   #9
nimapourkarimi
Connoisseur
nimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad mini 3, Kindle PW2
Unbelievable you are!
Old 08-16-2018, 10:37 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Moderator Notice
This thread is closed.
Closed Thread