Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-11-2018, 08:53 AM   #1
Nefertari
Nefertari began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle-K3W, Nook-HD
Calibre does not see new book!

Hi
I am new to the forum, but have been reading it for some time and found it very useful, thanks to all involved. I hope not to make too many blunders.

I have been using Calibre for sometime to convert books so I can backup for the future when certain formats become obsolete as indeed is happening with Kindle AZW3 .

Recently (latest calibre release) tried to "ADD" a book I purchased which Amazon could not send to Kindle K3W, (incompatible with your device), as it is one of the newly introduced Arabic language books. However I specified send to Nook HD and it was OK and readable on NOOK (which by the way is rooted) with the Kindle App .

The book is in KFX format.

Now after adding the plugins (DeDRM 6.6.1 and KFX input), I tried to "ADD" the book to Calibre but could not see it !, however with Astro file manager I could see it in the usual directory (\Internal storage\Android\data\com.amazon.kindle\files\). as usual with KFX it is a sub-directory.

Is this a known issue? is there a way around this.

If I copy the book's sub-directory elsewhere , then Calibre does see it but once "Adde" it fails to show as KFX format but shows as KFX-ZIP , and of course does not convert to Mobi or any other format. This was not surprising as the anther of the KFX Input plugin stresses that the sub-directory must remain in its original location.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance, sorry about the length of the post
Nefertari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:05 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
In most cases it is best to import from the original location, but in this case if you copied the entire folder containing the book it should import correctly.

The problem is most likely with DRM removal. I suggest asking for help at either Apprentice Alf's blog or Apprentice Harper's GitHub. (Detailed instructions for DRM removal are not allowed on Mobileread.)
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:45 PM   #3
Nefertari

jhowell... thank you for your reply.
I will try to ask as you suggest.
thanks again
Old 07-23-2018, 08:31 AM   #4
Nefertari

I found out that this problem is unique to the newly introduced Arabic books. The method outlined in this forum works perfectly for other KFX format books.

So far I did not manage to find out what is different with the Arabic KFX format.

By the way it can be read on Kindle Apps for Android and IOS but not in Windows or Linux.

I hope this will help others who are trying to import their Arabic books to read on other devices.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:32 AM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Arabic language books are problematic. They are supported on e-ink Kindles, but only newer models running the latest firmware, version 5.9.6.1. They are not supported by Kindle for PC/Mac, even in the latest version 1.24. I expect support will be added there eventually.

In the mean time if you have an older Kindle your only choices for reading those books are the Kindle for Android/iOS apps. Extracting Kindle books from those platforms may not be possible due to DRM.

Last edited by jhowell; 07-23-2018 at 12:30 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 01:09 PM   #6
Nefertari

Yes, that is what happened.

I was trying to get some Arabic books I purchased recently onto Kindle keyboard (K3W), which I know has Arabic fonts since firmware 3.4.2, but for some reason Amazon decided it was "incompatible" .

It has been sometime now without any signs of Amazon caring to update further.

My feeling is that they consider it too old and obsolete (from their point of view) to bother with.

Oh , that is life I suppose!