Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-23-2017, 03:33 PM   #1
Telemachus
Connoisseur
Telemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: none
Can I put the Gutenberg DVD ISO on an SD card and use on a Kobo/NookST

I've downloaded the Gutenberg Project DVD ISO and can use it on my laptop but I can't find a way to use it on an SD card in an ereader.

I have a Kobo Touch and a Kobo Glo that both have KSM 08, KOReader and the pbchess/vlasovsoft/Cool Reader package installed. I also have a rooted Nook ST with AlReader, Cool Reader, EBook Droid and Opera Mobile installed.

The ebooks on the Gutenberg DVD ISO are zipped TXT files organised into sub-folders and are indexed by title, author or subject using a main INDEX.HTML file. Works great using Opera browser on my laptop but I can't seem to get any browser on either ereader to be able to find and open the files from the main index. The DVD ISO is about 8GB in size and the TXT files seem to be compressed to about 40% of their original size.

If the files were named by title I could probably just search for what I was looking for but Gutenberg has a strange naming convention for instance Apocolocyntosis, by Lucius Seneca is file 10001.TXT, zipped and 5 or so sub-folders deep.

I can't manually rename all 42,000+ eBooks...is there another solution?
Any help would be much appreciated but please don't go too much out of your way to find a solution on my account, I suspect there's no easy answer and I don't want to give anyone a mission.
Having said that I can imagine that a quite a few people might benefit from being able to access all that content from their ereader without having to connect to WiFi so I will continue to explore other options and will post any breakthrough findings here.
Maybe there's a way to write a program that could automatically rename the files but that's beyond my capabilities currently.
I didn't want to confine my posting to either a Kobo or Nook sub-forum so I thought it best to post here.

Last edited by Telemachus; 04-23-2017 at 03:37 PM. Reason: errata
Telemachus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:19 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
An ISO is intended to make (burn) a CD. or DVD as configured.

You need to extract the files to your SDCARD

Some ZIP utilities can extract from an ISO without burning a disc
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2017, 04:39 PM   #3
Telemachus
Connoisseur
Telemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
An ISO is intended to make (burn) a CD. or DVD as configured.

You need to extract the files to your SDCARD

Some ZIP utilities can extract from an ISO without burning a disc
Thank's...I've just tried a little test with 12 books.
I created a new Calibre Library - 'Calibre Gutenberg Project Library'
I added 12 books in their original zip format.
I bulk converted to TXT format.
Then deleted the files in the original zip format leaving me with 12 eBooks now in TXT format.
The eBooks still have the original filenames though i.e. 10001.TXT, 10002.TXT etc.
If I could somehow download the metadata to rename the files automatically or maybe extract the title or author from the files I'd be in business.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:01 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Gutenberg has some downloadable master indexes that relate filenames to titles and authors. You can find them on this page:
https://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Guten...ings_of_EBooks

You probably want to download the latest one at the top of the list.

Then you can put it in a text editor and create a batch file to do the renaming for you using any fairly sophisticated text editor such as Notepad++.

You can extract the files by doing a search on *.epub or *.txt or whichever you're interested in. If you want more than one file type I suggest renaming a single file type at a time. It'll be easier. But that's not really required.

This is going to require a bit of skill at creating batch files but it's the sort of thing anyone comfortable with MS-Dos has probably done many times. It requires a little skill, not a great deal.

Another, probably easier way to do this if you have some computer programming skill is to write a small program to read a carefully parsed version of the index and rename files based on it. This would only require minor programming skills but it would require some.

I haven't seen the ISO but based on what you've said my guess is that it's very doable and not really that complicated, depending on your skills.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:13 PM   #5
Telemachus
Connoisseur

Thanks Barry...I'll have a nose.
The site seems to be down temporarily and my coding skills are weak but the potential benefits will drive me on.
Advert
Old 04-23-2017, 06:44 PM   #6
Telemachus
Connoisseur

I've found the master index at http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/GUTINDEX.ALL
I'm a step closer...very useful
Old 04-24-2017, 12:42 AM   #7
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Personally, I think that if you're going to get a copy of all of the Gutenberg ebooks for your ePub ereader, you're better off downloading the .epub files, and installing them on the ereader because they will usually have real formatting (i.e., italics, bold, etc), and the epub file will contain the author and name of the book so Calibre and your ereader will pick it up automatically. I've used rsync to get epubs with images for the entire Gutenberg library with this command

Code:
rsync -av --delete --delete-during --size-only --progress  --filter '+ */' --filter '+ *images.epub' --filter '- *' ftp@ftp.ibiblio.org::gutenberg-epub gutenberg_epubs
At Gutenberg, they have two .epub and two .mobi files, and if there aren't any images for the ebook, the two .epub (or .mobi) files will be the same.

To get the no-image .epubs, use
Code:
rsync -av --delete --delete-during --size-only --progress  --filter '+ */' --filter '+ *[0-9].epub' --filter '- *' ftp@ftp.ibiblio.org::gutenberg-epub gutenberg_epubs
And to get the .mobi files for kindle, replace .epub with .mobi.

Be aware that Gutenberg regenerates their ebooks regularly, so if you run this rsync command, you may get a lot more downloads than you expect.

I have not run this on Windows, so I don't know which rsync programs are good, but if you're comfortable with Unix, you could install Cygwin and use its rsync.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:59 PM   #8
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I usually get books from Gutenberg by having them send them to Dropbox. It's a simple matter to link them. It doesn't get me a huge quantity of books all at once but i don't really care about that. I like to pick individual books and the Gutenberg site is a fairly good one for browsing.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:08 PM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think there is a setting in Calibre that allows you to have the name of the book pop up instead of the filenames. I think it is associated with the epub/kindle files though. With plain text it's likely you might have to go through and individually change the metadata information. Of course you could convert the text files to epub easily enough in Calibre as well. There are a lot of books though which makes the epub/kindle format books easier to work with.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:08 AM   #10
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I think there is a setting in Calibre that allows you to have the name of the book pop up instead of the filenames. I think it is associated with the epub/kindle files though. With plain text it's likely you might have to go through and individually change the metadata information. Of course you could convert the text files to epub easily enough in Calibre as well. There are a lot of books though which makes the epub/kindle format books easier to work with.
Calibre and the ereaders will get the name and title from the book's metadata unless the creator doesn't know what they're doing and doesn't include it (Packt Publishing, for example). If Telemachus is just copying .txt files, or .html files over to his ereader, there's no metadata available. I haven't downloaded the DVDs, but if they don't include the .epub and .mobi formats (and I'd be surprised if a DVD from PG from 2010 or earlier does), I think he should strongly consider attempting to get either .mobi or .epub versions of the books he wants from Project Gutenberg.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:45 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
Calibre and the ereaders will get the name and title from the book's metadata unless the creator doesn't know what they're doing and doesn't include it (Packt Publishing, for example). If Telemachus is just copying .txt files, or .html files over to his ereader, there's no metadata available. I haven't downloaded the DVDs, but if they don't include the .epub and .mobi formats (and I'd be surprised if a DVD from PG from 2010 or earlier does), I think he should strongly consider attempting to get either .mobi or .epub versions of the books he wants from Project Gutenberg.
I recently fed some html ebooks to Calibre and it properly parsed the title.
Author showed up as unknown but since they were all be the same author it was trivial to fix.

I too would suggest grabbing the epub versions.
If you really prefer txt or rtf Calibre can convert and name them properly.
CPU cycles are cheap.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:21 PM   #12
Telemachus
Connoisseur

Eureka!
I found a simple solution....I can use AlReader on my rooted Nook ST to browse or search the main, author, title or subject html indexes. Now I can find a specific ebook from the Project Gutenberg DVD ISO stored on the SD card. AlReader handles the hyperlinks, opens and displays the zipped txt files. I agree text isn't the best format for these books but I didn't want to download from PG every time or have to convert lots of files. Maybe in time I'll find a way to make this work on a Kobo.
Many thanks to everyone who responded.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:43 AM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
I did mention that I was pretty sure that the title/ author was associated with the epub/kindle format.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote