Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #61
baochan
Enthusiast
baochan doesn't litterbaochan doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Pyrus Mini
Has anyone ordered one of the Gecko covers? They look nice but I'd like to see the inside/mounting/thickness/exposure of USB port before ordering.
baochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:08 PM   #62
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by baochan View Post
Has anyone ordered one of the Gecko covers? They look nice but I'd like to see the inside/mounting/thickness/exposure of USB port before ordering.
Me too. I emailed them and asked for a photo of the inside and the customer service rep said they would post one as soon as they had one. I guess they don't have the covers in stock to take a photo, or they are waiting to take a professional pic. I can't imagine they are waiting for the film to develop.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2014, 04:41 PM   #63
qfwfq
Enthusiast
qfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Sony PRS-650; Kobo H2O; Kobo Libra 2; ONYX BOOX Note Air 2 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by baochan View Post
there is a youtube showing it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpnDbu9GaF8
but, as i told before, I guess you have to remove the reader out of the cover in order to recharge it (because of the flap over the usb port)

Last edited by qfwfq; 10-07-2014 at 04:46 PM.
qfwfq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:37 AM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by qfwfq View Post
there is a youtube showing it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpnDbu9GaF8
but, as i told before, I guess you have to remove the reader out of the cover in order to recharge it (because of the flap over the usb port)
That video was posted on August 28, 2014. So it's most likely that it's not the same cover for the H2O. So forget that video. It's obsolete.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:06 AM   #65
doxallday
Web Crawler
doxallday doesn't litterdoxallday doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Ordered the Gecko Cover for H2O just now. Should be here latest by next Monday.
doxallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2014, 07:11 AM   #66
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
Well that was quick - the H2O sleepcover is showing as "Out of Stock" on the Kobo Accessories page.
Has it ever been in stock, or does "out of stock" simply mean that it's not actually available yet?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:14 AM   #67
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
It did show up as in stock before because I almost ordered one until I realised they were going to charge me £35 postage on top of the £30 for the cover
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:59 AM   #68
doxallday
Web Crawler
doxallday doesn't litterdoxallday doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
It did show up as in stock before because I almost ordered one until I realised they were going to charge me £35 postage on top of the £30 for the cover
Wow, that would've been a steep present.
doxallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:37 PM   #69
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxallday View Post
Wow, that would've been a steep present.
Some ebay sellers do that, charge 4.95 and then 29.00 shipping... with ebay its more of a scam to make money with out paying out the fees.

regards

JAck
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:25 PM   #70
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Or the normal thing when non US buyers buy from American sellers and eBay add the global shipping fees
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #71
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Some ebay sellers do that, charge 4.95 and then 29.00 shipping... with ebay its more of a scam to make money with out paying out the fees.

regards

JAck
Not any more. Ebay now charge 10% on the total price including shipping, plus PayPal then takes another 3.5%
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #72
queven
queven began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo aura hd h2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Me too. I emailed them and asked for a photo of the inside and the customer service rep said they would post one as soon as they had one. I guess they don't have the covers in stock to take a photo, or they are waiting to take a professional pic. I can't imagine they are waiting for the film to develop.
Me too. I emailed them. Photos will be next week but the customer service said that possible is charge your e-reader while it is in the cover.
queven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:48 PM   #73
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Has it ever been in stock, or does "out of stock" simply mean that it's not actually available yet?
It's available. I picked one up at Chapter's. The cutout for the port cover is nicely sized and the front is stiff enough to make me feel that it is offering some protection to the screen.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:47 PM   #74
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've just received the Odyssey cover for the H2O. It's actually an Aura HD cover, but fits the H2O absolutely fine. The bottom edge is open, which means that you have free access to the cover of the USB slot, which is good.

The cover provides a very good level of protection - you could drop a brick onto it and it wouldn't damage the reader - so it's good from that point of view. The magnetic sleep/wake works fine, too. The downside is that it's extremely thick: about 2.4cm thick, with the Kobo in it; a fraction under 1". So it converts your slim reader into an object the size (although not the weight, it has to be said) of a rather thick paperback book.

I'll keep it for the present - I think it's good value for money for the price - but I'm going to look around for something rather slimmer. Perhaps the official Kobo sleepcover?

Last edited by HarryT; 10-09-2014 at 02:53 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:01 PM   #75
jeather
Enthusiast
jeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Glo
I have the Sleepcover from Kobo because I absolutely need a cover on day one, and it fits perfectly -- no extra room around the sides, very slim -- and that's really the only particularly good thing I have to say about it. The magnetic closure is weak, so if you use the Sleepcover function it turns itself on and off all the time, and there's no elastic holding it sort of shut. It's pretty ugly, with a weird plastic bit in the back. You can leave it on while connecting via usb.

If you also desperately need a fitting cover ASAP, go for it -- I probably won't replace it until it falls apart now that I have it -- but I cannot actually recommend it if there are other options.
jeather is offline   Reply With Quote