Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
frostykist
frostykist began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple reader
Exclamation "Not Responding" after preferences>get plugin

I had just downloaded Calibre for Windows 7 and wanted to convert fanfiction on it so I went to preferences-> get plugin, the whole thing then froze and the title bar said "not responding".

So after waiting for a LONG while I decided to close it through task manager. When I went to re-open caliber all I got was a few seconds of the "thinking circle" then nothing

So I left clicked and tried to open as Administrator. Nothing. Looked at my task manager to see if it was running but hiding. NOTHING.

So I uninstalled and reinstalled and tried it all again. Unsurprisingly I got the exact same result. What am I doing wrong? HELP, I'm about to flip my sh*t!!!
frostykist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostykist View Post
I had just downloaded Calibre for Windows 7 and wanted to convert fanfiction on it so I went to preferences-> get plugin, the whole thing then froze and the title bar said "not responding".

So after waiting for a LONG while I decided to close it through task manager. When I went to re-open caliber all I got was a few seconds of the "thinking circle" then nothing

So I left clicked and tried to open as Administrator. Nothing. Looked at my task manager to see if it was running but hiding. NOTHING.

So I uninstalled and reinstalled and tried it all again. Unsurprisingly I got the exact same result. What am I doing wrong? HELP, I'm about to flip my sh*t!!!
Un-installing never deletes settings or the Library.

You will need to locate the (usually hidden) 'Calibre configuration directory'

Deleting the contents of this folder will lose any customizations you have made, INCLUDING the location of the Library. I would wait for a second opinion..

Upon restarting, you will need to specify the location (folder) of the previous Library, and re-install and configure any plugins.

Of course, if you have a backup of the folder, simply restore it and start Calibre
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@frostykit - it sounds to me like you have some kind of proxy setting issue on your machine - I can bet that your metadata download plugins don't work either. You need to sort out your proxy settings (Preferences -> Miscellaneous will show what is in use). Do a search of the forums/help for proxy settings if you don't figure it out.

If you just want to install a particular plugin that doesn't use internet connectivity, then you can install it manually - just download the zip from the relevant thread to your hard -drive then use Preferences -> Plugins -> Load plug-in from file.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@frostykit - it sounds to me like you have some kind of proxy setting issue on your machine - I can bet that your metadata download plugins don't work either. You need to sort out your proxy settings (Preferences -> Miscellaneous will show what is in use). Do a search of the forums/help for proxy settings if you don't figure it out.

If you just want to install a particular plugin that doesn't use internet connectivity, then you can install it manually - just download the zip from the relevant thread to your hard -drive then use Preferences -> Plugins -> Load plug-in from file.
@kiwidude

He has broken it so much it wont start
He can't get to the preference menu
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
frostykist
frostykist began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Un-installing never deletes settings or the Library.

You will need to locate the (usually hidden) 'Calibre configuration directory'

Deleting the contents of this folder will lose any customizations you have made, INCLUDING the location of the Library. I would wait for a second opinion..

Upon restarting, you will need to specify the location (folder) of the previous Library, and re-install and configure any plugins.

Of course, if you have a backup of the folder, simply restore it and start Calibre
I hadn't had Calibre long enough to adjust any settings and I only had two books in my library so I don't mind deleting it...if i could find it. Any help on that one?
frostykist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
On Windows preferences are in %APPDATA%\calibre ; open a command prompt and type
Code:
cd %APPDATA%\calibre]
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:52 AM   #7
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@theducks - geez I must have been tired when I posted, I swear I read the original post several times but I must have focused on his first line and then the last saying got the same result...

Moving thread out of the plugin forums.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, freezing, not responding, plugins, preferences