Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-18-2017, 08:05 AM   #1
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Nisus Pro EPUB export

Nisus Pro (a Mac word processor that's been kicking around in some form or fashion since the early '90s and '030 Powerbooks) claims to have ePUB support, at least as an export filter. Does anyone have any experience with it?
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:37 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Nisus Pro (a Mac word processor that's been kicking around in some form or fashion since the early '90s and '030 Powerbooks) claims to have ePUB support, at least as an export filter. Does anyone have any experience with it?

I don't, but I do see that they have a 15-day fully functional demo available.

If I already didn't own Word, calibre, and Scrivener then I might be tempted to try it.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:10 PM   #3
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I bought it, mostly because I used Nisus Compact back in the day (and still have it on my OS9 iBook although I'm using Appleworks with Claris XTND to export to RTF at the moment), so I'm already familiar with it. Guess I'll have to smack it around a bit and see how it (mis)behaves?
Old 08-22-2017, 05:26 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Let us know how you like it and if it does what you need it to do.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:12 AM   #5
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder

I ran a test ePUB a while ago and opened it in Sigil and Calibre. It seemed to work well enough, although I didn't have internet access to run it thru epubcheck. I was kinda evacuated from the hurricane.

I also didn't remember to check if the TOC had automatically generated or not.

Interesting thing is that the current version of Nisus is based on AbiWord- they even said they contribute to its codebase- which has seemingly had ePUB import and export since 2013.

So this looks like it could make AbiWord and Nisus Writer Pro a pair of "hidden gems" for writers who want to export straight to ePUB.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:43 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
I ran a test ePUB a while ago and opened it in Sigil and Calibre. It seemed to work well enough, although I didn't have internet access to run it thru epubcheck. I was kinda evacuated from the hurricane.
You don't need to use epubcheck online. There are plugins for Sigil and Calibre that let you use epubcheck 4.0.2 locally. And you can then fix any errors you may find.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:38 PM   #7
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder

True, but I didn't have them installed when I ran the test ePUB. It also wasn't a serious thing- it was a partial manuscript that I was using as a proof of concept, not a finished product.

I'll definitely be trying it again once I have something finished, though.