Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-28-2017, 09:04 PM   #46
Trane
Groupie
Trane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: android tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
[...] I agree Insert File (here) is entirely different to what I was dabbling with [...] But, I would still think its worth eliminating all shell extensions and TSR like programs. If only to remove the 'I wonder if...' doubts.

Its easy to disable them with ShellExView and Task Manager and run in Safe Mode. Then if there's no problems just re-enable them. FWIW CCleaner has mass disable/enable of startups, Task Manager is one-at-a-time.

BR
I did disable them with ShellEx. (I did not try SafeMode, however. I only use SM upon threat of death... it messes up all my icons on the desktop and I have a ton of them and they're all organized the way I need them.) I do use CCleaner. But also a StartUpMgr and msconfig... I keep everything from starting with Windows but 3 very small programs. (Zhorn Stickies, Sunrise [systray program that tells sunrise/sunset], and Synaptics mouse driver.) That's it.

I could stop Stickies and Sunrise and see what happens...
Trane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:06 PM   #47
Trane
Groupie
Trane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Should not make any difference, but why not

Via the menu press Alt, I, F

Keyboard shortcut press Ctrl+Shift+I

BR
Will do. Like you say, why not.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:18 PM   #48
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane View Post
But again... it never hangs while actually inserting... it hangs when the Insert File window opens.
That should narrow it down a bit. It suggests that whatever has gone on before trying to launch the Insert File dialog has something to do with it: just added a file, just deleted a file, just renamed a file, just highlighted some code, etc...

What are your "Mend XHTML Source" settings in Preferences (General Settings), by the way?
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:30 PM   #49
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
And just to triple check, you have no other programs or utilities manipulating any of the files directly inside the Sigil scratch space that stores the epub currently being edited.

This is crucial. Anything changing files inside Sigil's scratch space/cache can make Sigil (and almost any program using temp files and cache space) to crash. Previously you did that somehow and I am worried some other program is indexing or cleaning that directory/folder.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:36 PM   #50
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I could stop Stickies and Sunrise and see what happens...
Again why not

In contrast to you - My desktop has 7 folder shortcuts, language bar, and the recycle bin - but my tray has 26 icons

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:42 PM   #51
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
And just to triple check, you have no other programs or utilities manipulating any of the files directly inside the Sigil scratch space that stores the epub currently being edited.

This is crucial. Anything changing files inside Sigil's scratch space/cache can make Sigil (and almost any program using temp files and cache space) to crash. Previously you did that somehow and I am worried some other program is indexing or cleaning that directory/folder.
@Kevin - is there an environment variable that will direct Sigil to use a 'designated' folder for temporary storage.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-28-2017 at 09:45 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:07 PM   #52
Trane
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That should narrow it down a bit. It suggests that whatever has gone on before trying to launch the Insert File dialog has something to do with it: just added a file, just deleted a file, just renamed a file, just highlighted some code, etc...
I am polishing little things as I go. So might edit a little text. That's about it.

... except for the routine I just mentioned a few posts back about being a neat nick... to reiterate, I hit return after the last </p>, then hit it once more to drop the next paragraph down a line. Then I delete the code the returns generate, so I have a blank line where I plan to insert the image. Then I click the toolbar icon for File Insert and that's where the fun starts. Most times it works without a hitch. My routine is pretty much unchanging. I am a creature of habit.

Quote:
What are your "Mend XHTML Source" settings in Preferences (General Settings), by the way?
Boxes checked for Open and Save.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:11 PM   #53
Trane
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post

I did make that mistake early on which initiated this thread. I was using Adobe and then exporting the saved jpg directly to the Sigil Images folder. DiapDealer set me straight in the second post of this thread, so I stopped doing that 2 weeks ago. It was crashing every time I tried to insert an image when I was doing that, but when I stopped doing that, it worked fine for a few days... then it started crashing again, though less often.

So no, am not allowing any programs to manipulate anything, copy to or touch any Sigil directories.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:16 PM   #54
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@Kevin - is there an environment variable that will direct Sigil to use a 'designated' folder for temporary storage.

BR
A general Settings preference item was added starting with Sigil v0.9.6 to specify the folder used for Sigil's temporary storage. It was added mainly to work around a rare Mac issue where temp storage was being automatically cleaned (affecting Sigil instances that may have been left open for extended periods of time).
Old 02-28-2017, 10:16 PM   #55
Trane
Groupie

Quote:

BR
And I do have that set. Would that make a diff? I set the Temp folder to be located on a different [logical] drive than the installation (which is of course on C:\). The Temp folder is located on a 200GB partition I have designated for scratch folders for programs like Sigil, Sony Vegas, etc. It happens to be my J drive and has 188GB free, so it's not a space thing... unless the Temp folder location s/b in the same partition/drive as the installation... i.e., on C?
Old 02-28-2017, 10:19 PM   #56
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I hit return after the last </p>, then hit it once more to drop the next paragraph down a line. Then I delete the code the returns generate, so I have a blank line where I plan to insert the image.
You keep saying this, but hitting return doesn't generate ANY code in Code View (which is what you say you're always using when inserting your images).
Old 02-28-2017, 10:22 PM   #57
Trane
Groupie

BTW I disabled Stickies and Sunset and used shift ctrl I to open the File Insert window, and it crashed. That was a few minutes ago.

Afterward I renamed the .ini to ini.ori (for original, that's what I do when I rename files I might need again), closed Sigil, re-opened, and am still testing but I have been at this since 9am and can't work much longer tonight. So will have to post more in the coming days as I try more things... maybe re-generating the .ini will have done the trick.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:23 PM   #58
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
And I do have that set. Would that make a diff? I set the Temp folder to be located on a different [logical] drive than the installation (which is of course on C:\). The Temp folder is located on a 200GB partition I have designated for scratch folders for programs like Sigil, Sony Vegas, etc. It happens to be my J drive and has 188GB free, so it's not a space thing... unless the Temp folder location s/b in the same partition/drive as the installation... i.e., on C?
I'd try putting it back to the default "/Users/<username>/AppData/Local/Temp" to see if it makes a difference. Wiping the Sigil.ini would reset the Temp driectory. Sigil always cleans up after itself (except after a crash), so space shouldn't be an issue at all. I don't really recommend altering the Temp folder setting unless the default proves to be problematic (as mentioned in the Mac scenario above).

Reverting to the default will at least eliminate that as a potential problem.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-28-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:26 PM   #59
Trane
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You keep saying this, but hitting return doesn't generate ANY code in Code View (which is what you say you're always using when inserting your images).
Huh. I just tried it and you're right (not that I doubted you). Sometimes I polish in Book View, then switch to Code View to insert an image, so maybe sometimes I hit return there instead and end up with <p><br /></p>
Old 02-28-2017, 10:29 PM   #60
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
so maybe sometimes I hit return there instead and end up with <p><br /></p>
Yes. That would be consistent with Book View behavior. I try to edit as little as possible (meaning never) in Book View.