Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Help with Kobo app please

I'm not quite sure where to post this - here, the Kobo forum, or the ePub forum - so if it's in the wrong place Moderator please move it.

The background to this question is that I downloaded the Kobo app on to my iPad2 so I could test an ebook I have just designed. The ebook works as expected on my Sony PRS T2 and on my iPad with iBooks, and (after conversion) on my Kindle3. I side loaded the ebook into the Kobo app, but it's an absolute disaster - padding above paragraphs doesn't work, font sizes don't work, page breaks don't work, and so on. In fact the only thing that does work is the navigation links. Turning Kobo styling on or off just brings up a different set of problems.

Should I be able to read non Kobo ebooks through the Kobo app? If so, what am I doing wrong? I very much doubt that it's a problem in my ebook because it works as designed in the other readers.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
If I were you, I'd just forget about the Kobo app. Why exactly is it important for you that the e-book must display correctly in the Kobo app? In my testing, I have found the Kobo app buggy or deficient in more ways than one. If I were you, I'd just forget about this particular app and move on. They might improve the Kobo app later on, but as of right now, I don't think it's among the best on iOS.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:12 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
If I were you, I'd just forget about the Kobo app. Why exactly is it important for you that the e-book must display correctly in the Kobo app? In my testing, I have found the Kobo app buggy or deficient in more ways than one. If I were you, I'd just forget about this particular app and move on. They might improve the Kobo app later on, but as of right now, I don't think it's among the best on iOS.
Thanks so much. I hoped to use the Kobo app on my iPad to see if the ebooks I design work on a Kobo without having to buy a Kobo. It seems that if I want to confirm that my ebooks work on a Kobo I'll have to buy a Kobo, or send it to a friend to test on her Kobo.

Ah well, it was worth a try.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:24 AM   #4
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
In some respects, there are significant differences between the Kindle software on hardware Kindle devices and the Kindle app on iOS (and Android), so the situation may well be similar with Kobo. Unfortunately, the iPad can't really be used as a 100% reliable emulator of those other types of devices.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:37 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks again.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:24 AM   #6
Rick1971
cool a zombie!
Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Lenovo a2107a-f, Le PanII, Motorola Xoom FE
I don't use Kobo i prefer the Kindle, Sony or Nook apps
Rick1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
To view (proof) books I have converted I use BlueFire and the "Use Publishers Formatting" option.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:25 AM   #8
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
To view (proof) books I have converted I use BlueFire and the "Use Publishers Formatting" option.
Thanks. I have used Bluefire, and think it is better than iBooks. But many of the ebooks I design are for a small publisher in the UK, and aimed at non-technical readers who (so far as I can know) are more likely to use iBooks than anything else.

I downloaded the Kobo app to see if I could test my ebooks on that to get some idea how they would look on a Kobo stand alone ereader. Kobo customer service assure me that an ebooks will look the same on the the app and the ereader - but I have my doubts.