Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-06-2016, 10:36 PM   #1
rboatright
rboatright can extract oil from cheeserboatright can extract oil from cheeserboatright can extract oil from cheeserboatright can extract oil from cheeserboatright can extract oil from cheeserboatright can extract oil from cheeserboatright can extract oil from cheeserboatright can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Mini
Merge books, how to select FIRST book or MERGE metadata?

I have unfortunately created many duplicates in my calibre library. No problem, find duplicates works well.

BUT one set of these have excellent, well cleaned and specified metadata, and the other set don't. So, when I hit "m" and merge the two book records, I want the metadata to be merged.

Instead, what's happening is that whichever copy is the upper one of the pair in the list, is being designated as the "first" and so all the metadata in the second is being dropped. The meta data is NOT being merged, and I can't find a setting that allows it to be.

And, I can't figure out how to have the SECOND book in the list be the "first" selected, so I'm losing the well curated metadata.

I'm quite sure there's something I'm doing wrong, or a setting I've missed.

Help?
rboatright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:03 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
I have unfortunately created many duplicates in my calibre library. No problem, find duplicates works well.

BUT one set of these have excellent, well cleaned and specified metadata, and the other set don't. So, when I hit "m" and merge the two book records, I want the metadata to be merged.

Instead, what's happening is that whichever copy is the upper one of the pair in the list, is being designated as the "first" and so all the metadata in the second is being dropped. The meta data is NOT being merged, and I can't find a setting that allows it to be.

And, I can't figure out how to have the SECOND book in the list be the "first" selected, so I'm losing the well curated metadata.

I'm quite sure there's something I'm doing wrong, or a setting I've missed.

Help?
change the sort direction on Title Column

And, yes, this is the way it works. Not the First selected
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2016, 07:21 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Would be better if doco/tooltip read 'topmost in list' rather than 'first selected'

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:54 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Would be better if doco/tooltip read 'topmost in list' rather than 'first selected'

BR

If that is indeed the way it works.

I had always read it as 1st (clicked) rather then order of appearance.

as rboatright noticed, it can be difficult to force the order.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:12 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I don't know how Find Duplicates handles things, but the sort order doesn't matter when manually selecting items and merging them -- just like the documentation says, it is the first-clicked item that gets priority.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2016, 06:27 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I don't know how Find Duplicates handles things, but the sort order doesn't matter when manually selecting items and merging them -- just like the documentation says, it is the first-clicked item that gets priority.
The PI only identifies potential Duplicates (what/how it ID's is based upon settings)

Te user needs to always review the results and make the proper resolution choice: Delete, Ignore, Merge Into

Maybe I mis-remembered that it was Upper most.
I do know Custom fields do not merge. Mstr Format is blank in Target and it stays that way upon merging . (I keep empty books as a Wish List and Merge the purchased books after Intake processing)
Old 08-07-2016, 07:44 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't use Merge because of Find Duplicates.

It's because I discover, usually via an external content search, that the same text was published under two different titles in different publications.

I mark the two books, show Marked books, sort list so the book I want to remain in place (target) is topmost, select using ctrl+A and do the merge.

Trying to control which book is the target via the order of selection has never worked for me - maybe it does if you use mickey mouse clickety clicks

BR
Old 08-08-2016, 05:14 AM   #8
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Trying to control which book is the target via the order of selection has never worked for me - maybe it does if you use mickey mouse clickety clicks
Funny; it always works for me Select the 'master', ctrl + click the rest, merge. Done. Never fails to do the right thing...
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:13 PM   #9
rboatright
rboatright can extract oil from cheeserboatright can extract oil from cheeserboatright can extract oil from cheeserboatright can extract oil from cheeserboatright can extract oil from cheeserboatright can extract oil from cheeserboatright can extract oil from cheeserboatright can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Funny; it always works for me Select the 'master', ctrl + click the rest, merge. Done. Never fails to do the right thing...
So, if your calibre is in author sort, and there are 3 books scattered throughout the author sort that you want to merge, and you click the middle one, then CTRL-CLICK the outer two, and then do keyboard M and Enter, it keeps the middle one, deletes the other two and merges the metadata from the outer two into the center on those fields that are blank in the center one.

Right?

Cause that's what I'm trying and it doesn't seem to work for me.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:43 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
As I said - maybe it does if you use mickey mouse clickety clicks - for various reasons I avoid using pointing devices.

I installed the Temp Marker PI soon after I started using calibre, so that I could Mark books, and list them for doing merges in the manner described via the keyboard.

BR
Old 08-11-2016, 11:55 PM   #11
rboatright

Quote:
As I said - maybe it does if you use mickey mouse clickety clicks - for various reasons I avoid using pointing devices.

I installed the Temp Marker PI soon after I started using calibre, so that I could Mark books, and list them for doing merges in the manner described via the keyboard.

BR
Ahhh keyboards... cool, I'll try that
Old 08-20-2016, 11:01 AM   #12
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Yay! I always thought it was first in order, not first clicked too! This will save me some annoyance.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote