Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-19-2016, 02:52 PM   #16
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I know you don't do unlimited but books in Kindle Unlimited have the option of 5 free days every 90 days.

I hate to say this because I have talked to the guy that runs ereaderiq but the scammers have figured out how to get featured there.

And yes, you accidentally grabbed a "copy and paste book" or a scamlet.

There are ways to prevent getting the scamlets.
1. Look at the reviews. If they all pretty much say this is the greatest book on subject, then it is probably bogus. Especially if there are only 4 or 5 or 10 reviews.
2. Title will sometimes give it away. The best or ultimate guide to whatever usually isn't.
3. Read the entire description. Look for key words like greatest, best. Also if the offer a free bonus for buying the book it is very possibly a scam.
4. Look at the sentence phrasing in the description. Another key indicator.
5. Use the look inside feature. If the tips look good but the author writing looks awkward, then the tips have been copied and pasted in.
6. If the author claims to be an expert in the field, look for other references.

I ran across a self-help book the other day: the author claimed to be an expert and could help anyone.
Ok he was an expert at copy and paste. Just in the first 3 chapters, he had copied Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, Stephen Covey, Deepak Chopra, Norman Vincent Peale and Leo Buscaglia.
He tried presenting all this as his own ideas.

Anyway Katie, this was not directed at you but maybe it can help others.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:29 PM   #17
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Going past 300dpi probably only yields diminishing returns. Contrast is more important. But it's easier to increase resolution (and brag about it) so that's what manufacturers like to do.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2016, 11:06 PM   #18
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
300dpi used to be the gold standard for "photo quality" at normal reading distance. The distance you view from is important. That beautiful 70" HDTV you watch from across the room....get closer and you can see the pixels
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:41 PM   #19
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I agree with Contrast the Darker the print the better. The Blue Shade is a Joke. Orange on Orange I cant read at all using it. [It should be called Orange Shade]
The darker the Words the better I can see them.

sigh After reading for the past 10 days on the PW3 & on my Fire Phone I find my eyes Burning when I read on the Fire 10" I guessing my eyes are protesting the 149 ppi It was great before I did all that reading on the PW3 ....
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:57 PM   #20
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I agree with Contrast the Darker the print the better. The Blue Shade is a Joke. Orange on Orange I cant read at all using it. [It should be called Orange Shade]
The darker the Words the better I can see them.

sigh After reading for the past 10 days on the PW3 & on my Fire Phone I find my eyes Burning when I read on the Fire 10" I guessing my eyes are protesting the 149 ppi It was great before I did all that reading on the PW3 ....
That sounds more like the brightness is higher on the Fire 10". Not all lights are created equal.
Advert
Old 04-26-2016, 03:02 PM   #21
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No have the lights on the Fire down low. Way below 1/2. The PW3 is on 18 or I cant see the words. At the 10 they suggest for longer battery life I cant even see the words. No enough contrast. One reason I trying to sell it... but since Amazon now has them on sale again
Old 04-26-2016, 03:05 PM   #22
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Katie,
I have my tablet way below a quarter. I was just thinking on me, it isn't ppi but screen brightness. Remember a PW3 is front lit and a Fire is backlit.
Just running ideas so you don't hurt your eyes.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:13 PM   #23
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Cindy .. I know you don't do unlimited but books in Kindle Unlimited have the option of 5 free days every 90 days.

Can you provide a Link?
Old 04-26-2016, 03:17 PM   #24
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Katie,
I have my tablet way below a quarter. I was just thinking on me, it isn't ppi but screen brightness. Remember a PW3 is front lit and a Fire is backlit.
Just running ideas so you don't hurt your eyes.
Fire Phone & 10 are both set between 1/4 -1/2 way on brightness. When I read. For movies All the way up. For listening lights off... yep after 10 mins it goes off on its own.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:19 PM   #25
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Just an observation: surface area is much larger on a 10" screen than a 6" or 4.7" screen (assuming these are all more or less the same distance from eye). It is going to produce a lot more light, regardless of pixel density. As such it requires more mitigation (keep screen further away, use Night theme, turn brightness down more etc.).

Unfortunately Blue Shade is unusable, as it eliminates almost all contrast in its quest to eliminate blueness. By contrast, iOS's Night Shift doesn't completely eliminate blue even at 'maximum' color shift, but it is a very helpful mitigation otherwise.

Night theme alone would handle most of blue elimination for reading if the screens were OLED (you get real black, i.e., no light emission or energy consumption from black pixels). But until now, those haven't seen broad application, I assume because of other trade-offs.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:20 PM   #26
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Cindy .. I know you don't do unlimited but books in Kindle Unlimited have the option of 5 free days every 90 days.

Can you provide a Link?
A link to what? It varies by author and when they want to put books on sale.
Now if you will tell me what genres you like, I will try to find you freebies.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:31 PM   #27
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

I Search freebies all the time I don't bother paying for the unlimited cause Most of my authors are not on it. They rarely do Freebie. Most I can hope for is a sale. I done Unlimited 2x as free trails. 1st couple days I spent looking for interesting books [to me] then reading as many as I can before the trail runs out. This time ebooks were barely 100 pages each ... no way I would pay what they ask for those. I get the idea unlimited is mostly self published authors. Most are poorly formatted too.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:36 PM   #28
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Just an observation: surface area is much larger on a 10" screen than a 6" or 4.7" screen (assuming these are all more or less the same distance from eye). It is going to produce a lot more light, regardless of pixel density. As such it requires more mitigation (keep screen further away, use Night theme, turn brightness down more etc.).

Unfortunately Blue Shade is unusable, as it eliminates almost all contrast in its quest to eliminate blueness. By contrast, iOS's Night Shift doesn't completely eliminate blue even at 'maximum' color shift, but it is a very helpful mitigation otherwise.

Night theme alone would handle most of blue elimination for reading if the screens were OLED (you get real black, i.e., no light emission or energy consumption from black pixels). But until now, those haven't seen broad application, I assume because of other trade-offs.
Larger area for me is just less page turning. Just to get thru 1 page on the PW3 is 3 page turns. On the Fire 10 1 page IS 1 page My reading is in Bed 90% of the time. Book is about 18 -24 inches from my face.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:46 PM   #29
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
I Search freebies all the time I don't bother paying for the unlimited cause Most of my authors are not on it. They rarely do Freebie. Most I can hope for is a sale. I done Unlimited 2x as free trails. 1st couple days I spent looking for interesting books [to me] then reading as many as I can before the trail runs out. This time ebooks were barely 100 pages each ... no way I would pay what they ask for those. I get the idea unlimited is mostly self published authors. Most are poorly formatted too.
So what do you like to read? I will try to find you good authors.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:57 PM   #30
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Mysteries... Kellerman, Faye & Jonathan. Patterson as long as Hes not writing them! Rita Mae Brown ... Mrs Murphy & Foxhunting series. Sparkle Abby, Barbar Allen, Donna Andrews, Jefferson Bass, Jenna Bennett, Robin Cook, John Grishim, Willow Rose..... Most I UTD on some I waiting for their newer releases to drop in price.
Yes I do need some new authors What do you read?