Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Remove ads on KPW?

Hi!
I can't believe how disillusioned I was, when I realized that the Kindle I bought, had ads!
I had bought the KPW on impulse, and had not thought of it; in fact, I had not thought something so STUPID is even possible!
I mean, I don't buy a Nintendo gameboy, 3DS, Wii, X-Box, PS3, or any other computer with ads, so WHY THE F# do I get ads on my paperwhite???

I HATE Ads!

Is there a way to disable them?
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes. Go to the "Manage Your Kindle" page on the Amazon web site, pay Amazon $20 (I think that's the price) and no more ads.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Yep, $20. You get a discount if you buy a Kindle with ads.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for the information,
I also called Amazon, and it seems they are verifying this too.

However there's a lot of conflicting information online about this, and I'm sure that Kindle support does not want to deal with issues if they do appear (meaning, they probably still keep some info hidden from me).
For that I prefer to bring my issue to this forum, as I believe there's a higher chance that I will be informed about any subtle differences between the two.

If I where to do the $20 ad-removing, which I have no problem with paying, will my kindle work EXACTLY THE SAME as a non-ad version, or will the ads only be partially removed (eg: ads removed, but home screen suggestions, or screen saver ad pictures remain)?

And, if I where to upgrade my OS/Firmware with a new upgrade, would it affect this ads-setting?

Again, I have no problems paying the $20 extra, but I want to be sure that after the update, the paperwhite is exactly the same as the non-ad version!

Thank you!
Old 12-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, it will be absolutely identical to a non-ad version. In fact it will become a non-ad version. There is no hardware or firmware difference between a Kindle with and without ads. The ads will never reappear unless you re-enable them (which you can do at any time from the "Manage Your Kindle" page).

EDIT: Note that the "Reading recommendations" on the home page are nothing to do with ads. You turn those on and off via the "Settings" menu on the Kindle itself (Settings, Device Options, Personalise Your Kindle).

Last edited by HarryT; 12-28-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Advert
Old 12-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Thank you for the info Harry!
It saves me the trouble of cancelling my order, and re-ordering (with another week delay of shipping)!
Old 12-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You're very welcome .
Old 12-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Also, after you pay to have the ads removed you can opt to re-instate and remove them any time you like. This comes in handy when there are Amazon discounts that are only available to Kindles with ads.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I'm not sure if this is relevant, but my PW stopped running active content when I stopped the ads. I reported it to Amazon for the PW Development Team and hopefully the next firmware upgrade will fix it.

It had no effect on reading eBooks.

It doesn't affect me since all my apps on my KFHD7-32 are more than enough to keep me happy.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
tstarky
Next mood swing...6 min
tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Fire, PW
I purchased the PW with ads and not long after I got it I realized I just couldn't stand it so I paid the $20 to disable. Best $20 I spent. I enjoy it so much more now without that annoying distraction.
tstarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #11
pazu
Pazu
pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Treo 650
I'm using Paperwhite with ads, so far so good, I love the fact that Amazon lets you choose to have ad with a lower price. It's all up to you to decide.
pazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #12
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazu View Post
I'm using Paperwhite with ads, so far so good, I love the fact that Amazon lets you choose to have ad with a lower price. It's all up to you to decide.
Yes, choices are good to have. Normally the ads would be a non-issue (for me) as I don't give a rats behind how the PW looks like while sleeping. The benefit for me on the ad-free version is the automatic wake up with opening the cover. It goes directly to the last page read directly after opening the cover. The discounted SO version opens with an ad that needs to be tabbed or swiped before the last page appears. If you use the button to wake up your PW it gets rid of the ad right away, I think. I never had a SO PW in my hand, so I am not 100% sure on that. The only annoying thing, even on the ad-free version is the huge display of recommended titles on homepage. Those only survived long enough on my Paperwhites as long as it took to go to the menu and disabling them. (I think even the SO version lets you do that)
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #13
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
The discounted SO version opens with an ad that needs to be tabbed or swiped before the last page appears. If you use the button to wake up your PW it gets rid of the ad right away, I think. I never had a SO PW in my hand, so I am not 100% sure on that.
When you open the cover on an SO PW, a tap on the screen takes you to last page read.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #14
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
When you open the cover on an SO PW, a tap on the screen takes you to last page read.
Ah thank you so a tap is enough. When I reseached I only found that it requires a swipe. Even the tap would be annoying enough that I would not want that - and I don't have it. YMMV
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #15
morrow
Enthusiast
morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/PW/KV
Well, that's disappointing, I was hoping it'll make room for another book (currently pw shows 7 book per page, I was hoping when ads were removed we'll 8 or 9).
morrow is offline   Reply With Quote