Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-05-2012, 02:59 AM   #1
Manaro
Manaro began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindler Fire for reading ??

Can i use Kindle fire for reading ? or better E-ink reader ?

which is better ?
Manaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:13 AM   #2
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Eink will always in the battle if you are just comparing the reader part of kindkes versus fires.
No glare on e-ink means easy reading outside but no Lcd on e-ink means no reading in the dark like u can on the Fire.

Depends on what your needs/usage is to know what to get.

Last edited by salsaguy; 01-05-2012 at 03:15 AM. Reason: fire autocorrect typeo
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2012, 05:22 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you want a device just for reading, then go with EInk. The Kindle Fire is "good enough" for reading, and you can install (some, not all) 3rd party ePub reader apps if you don't like the Kindle app. In addition it is an excellent magazine reader, a good web browser, and can do anything else there is an app for.

When I travel (without a laptop), I now take my Kindle Fire and leave my K3 at home. Even though I have to take the wall charger, having good access to the web is a major plus when on travel. At home I use my K3 for reading.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:10 AM   #4
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
I have a fire and a Kindle/79. I like both and use both for reading. While the Kindle is better in direct sunlight, the fire is better in low light (by a fire, in bed, at a restaurant). The Fire is also better for looking at something with color images.

Either device is great for reading. Both are inexpensive. Get both and you will have the best device for any situation.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
For reading, I always prefer the eInk Kindle. (I have a Kindle Keyboard 3G.) That being said, the Fire is fine for reading in short bursts when I'm inside. Useless when I'm outside, and not my choice at all when I have longer than a 1/2 hour to read. OTOH, magazines are a treat on the Fire, and hopeless on the KK.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I use the 3rd Generation Kindle Keyboard WiFi (eInk) to read in bright sunlight. I use the Kindle Fire to read by the living room window on cloudy days.

Both perform well, each in their unique environments.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I use my Kindle for reading when I have light and the Kindle Fire I use for reading in Bed. The Kindle Fire is soo much more then a ereader though. I bought mine for reading but I admit I use it for everything. For just reading I prefer eInk unless there is low lighting then the Fire wins out.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manaro View Post
Can i use Kindle fire for reading ? or better E-ink reader ?

which is better ?
I read at night using the Kindle Fire, in the day I use the kindle 3.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
deannah
Connoisseur
deannah began at the beginning.

Device: KK, KT, KFire, KFire HD, KPaperwhite
I mostly use the Kindle Keyboard or Touch for reading. I have cookbooks on the Fire, but use it mostly for music and videos.
deannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #10
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
If you are mainly looking to read with your device, you are better off getting an e-ink kindle, as others have already mentioned. You can not use the kindle fire to read in the sun or where there is a lot of light due to the glare. In those instances, I use my e-ink kindle.

That said, I personally use my fire for reading more now than I use my e-ink kindle. It doesn't bother my eyes to read on it for long periods as it seems to bother others. I use my e-ink kindle now only for reading when there's the potential for glare.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #11
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
You can not use the kindle fire to read in the sun or where there is a lot of light due to the glare.
Definately not true. You can read a Fire in direct sunlight -- it's just more difficult and less pleasant. On the other hand, you definately cannot read an e-ink screen in little or no light situations.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #12
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
You can read a Fire in direct sunlight -- it's just more difficult and less pleasant.
Yes, technically you can use it in direct sun, of course. I just meant as you stated above, that it's difficult and not as pleasant.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #13
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
I find myself using the fire for just about everything. My KT is there for a backup ie when battery dies and/or I am heading to a pool/beach
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #14
JuniperPearl
Enthusiast
JuniperPearl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire, iPhone 5, Kindle Voyage
I've been using my Fire for everything lately, since it's new and shiny and all, but honestly... I prefer my K2 for reading. In the dark (and most of my reading is done at night, in bed, with poor lighting) the lowest of the Fire's brightness settings is still too bright for my eyes. I find that my K2 with a clip-on light is much easier on my eyes in a dark room.

The Fire can be used for reading - and I use it for reading all the time - but I vastly prefer eInk over the Fire's LCD.
JuniperPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #15
grvthang
Connoisseur
grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle Fire, Droid Incredible2, Kindle Touch
The Kindle Fire is my first Kindle. I've been reading books on smartphones for about 5 years, starting with the Blackberry (using Mobipocket reader), and, in the last two years, on Android phones, using the Kindle, Nook, and Aldiko apps.

The Fire came out in November, so I've yet to sit in a park or on the beach reading on the Fire while working on my tan. However, I've had 2 summers to read using the Kindle app on my Android phone. It is extremely difficult and no fun at all to read in full sunlight on an Android phone's screen. I'm expecting that the Fire would be no better. I've looked at friends of mine's e-ink Kindles on the beach, and they are 10X better in bright sunlight. I'm thinking of buying the cheapest Kindle for just that purpose, even though the Fire has much more functionality besides reading books.

If you're just looking to read books, I would go with an e-ink Kindle.
grvthang is offline   Reply With Quote