Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #16
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraPony View Post
Glad I could help. Sometimes the simple answer is the one we need!
That's EXACTLY what I was thinking when I read your post!!!!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:18 PM   #17
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
The other thread you linked to is not for VOX, it is about our other readers (eInk). The volume up and power procedure is not really intended to be easy to do - no one wants an accidental factory reset. And, as mentioned here, it is only in the case that the software settings are not accessible.

Also, to clarify - the volume up approach assumes the device is already off. Turn it off, hold down the volume up key, turn it on and keep the volume key depressed until it resets.

Pokee - please confirm that you tried signing in with a new account using the method I was suggesting in the other thread.

Thanks,
James
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2011, 04:24 PM   #18
UofG2000
UofG2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Vox
I did the factory reset in Settings go to Privacy and then Factory Data Reset and it corrected the error.
UofG2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:02 PM   #19
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJW View Post
The other thread you linked to is not for VOX, it is about our other readers (eInk). The volume up and power procedure is not really intended to be easy to do - no one wants an accidental factory reset. And, as mentioned here, it is only in the case that the software settings are not accessible.

Also, to clarify - the volume up approach assumes the device is already off. Turn it off, hold down the volume up key, turn it on and keep the volume key depressed until it resets.

Pokee - please confirm that you tried signing in with a new account using the method I was suggesting in the other thread.

Thanks,
James
Yes, James - I did try signing in with a new account. That 'set-up' was successful - just like the others were. But, I still got the error message when I tried to load my Kobo library or the Kobo store. It took the factory reset to resolve. I still think that 'clearing' data in the Kobo app removed something that was essential to perform a successful set-up and/or load the Pegasus app. Just a guess...
Old 11-19-2011, 11:18 PM   #20
harveyj
harveyj began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo vox
its hold the volume + and power on the Kobo Vox does a factory reset
harveyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2011, 11:30 PM   #21
larrymohr
Zealot
larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.

Device: Samsung S6 tab, Kobo Sage, AURA One, Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I think the volume and power on reset was meant for times when the Vox was bricked enough that you couldn't get to the Factory Data Reset you mentioned, Laura. I didn't want to try it on my perfectly working Vox just to check. .
Taming,

That's exactly what happened to me about four days after I bought it. Everything was going great then the touchscreen went completely dead! I tried everything, ON/OFF, charging until 100%. I had the box out ready to take back to Future Shop and I thought I would try holding the volume up and power.

Held the two buttons until the unit came on with a message about factory reset.

When it was done, the touchscreen was functional once more. However, I eventually discovered that everything on the internal microSD was still there.
However, I don't remember how much setup I had to do.

Larry

Man, was I relieved!

LJ
larrymohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:11 AM   #22
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I actually did end up trying it. I felt so bad for pokee and all the problems, and I wanted to be sure about it before I wrote here. It's great that the external SD Card is left alone as it makes the installs of apk etc much easier if that is where they live.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:29 AM   #23
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
I actually did end up trying it. I felt so bad for pokee and all the problems, and I wanted to be sure about it before I wrote here. It's great that the external SD Card is left alone as it makes the installs of apk etc much easier if that is where they live.
You are a truly brave and wondrous soul ... thanks for being here!

It's nice to know there is an ... "if all else fails, start COMPLETELY over". Does this technique, btw, also trigger an initial Kobo update as if new out of the box?
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:41 PM   #24
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Does this technique, btw, also trigger an initial Kobo update as if new out of the box?
Yes. You get the exact same thing you had when you opened the box and set up for the first time, with the one exception that if you have slipped in an SD card, that will be left alone.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:58 PM   #25
pokee
Fanatic

Quote:
Yes. You get the exact same thing you had when you opened the box and set up for the first time, with the one exception that if you have slipped in an SD card, that will be left alone.
I removed my sd card because I wasn't sure if it would be erased...good to know it wouldn't be!

Yes taming...you are a helpful and brave soul to do a factory reset for fun!

Mine wasn't bad at all...downloading my magazines again took the longest...everything else was super quick!