Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-28-2011, 12:51 AM   #31
readingglasses
Zealot
readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.

Device: (prospective) kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
We could see 1.9.10 or 1.9.93 even! Nothing says it's a single digit revision number :P
Believe what you want to believe. You won't crush my dreams.
readingglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:14 AM   #32
Pistos
Connoisseur
Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by readingglasses View Post
Did anyone else realize yet that there's only one more update before they release either the procrastinating 1.9.9.1 or else 2.0 ?
PeterT has a point. It is common to have version number components that go into the 10s and 20s.

If an update is good enough to be dubbed 2.0, then I'm sure they'll do that, but I'm also confident that if the next firmware updates are not worthy of fanfare and a big marketing budget, then it will be 1.9.xx .
Pistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2011, 03:20 AM   #33
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhe View Post
I get the big cover on sleep -- nice job!
I do notice the the Home screen seems to be once again tracking my five most recent books, something it stopped doing in 1.9.6. Again, thank you, Kobo devs.
I spoke too soon. After I connected with USB, old books started showing up on my Home page again. Then, when I wasn't looking, my KT did a spontaneous factory reset! Fortunately, I was prepared for this -- all my books are on SD. (Today was the first time I tried using Kobo Desktop for Linux -- could that have made a difference?)

This is pretty painful. Say what you will about paper books; at least they don't do spontaneous factory resets.

Kobo devs: any ideas what happened here?

(edit)

It didn't do a factory reset by itself, but it was in a state where it couldn't read or even see any books, only demo features of the device. Nevertheless, KD4L said it was running 1.9.8, and when I unplugged it, it asked me to do a factory reset, which I did, as it wasn't much good otherwise.

Last edited by rwhe; 07-28-2011 at 03:30 AM.
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:18 AM   #34
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Doh, saved wifi connections still failing and require deleiting to work.
It just doesn't do it all the time.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:55 AM   #35
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhe View Post
It didn't do a factory reset by itself, but it was in a state where it couldn't read or even see any books, only demo features of the device. Nevertheless, KD4L said it was running 1.9.8, and when I unplugged it, it asked me to do a factory reset, which I did, as it wasn't much good otherwise.
I am not a developer, but from what I understand, when you have a corrupted Db, the Touch now prompts you to do the reset. Resets on the Touch are different than on earlier devices, which didn't actually repair/replace the bad Db as part of the factory reset. Reading about the problems you were having, it seems like you might have needed that!
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #36
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
I'd just like to say that I've been very happy with the 1.9.8 update and I haven't had any problems at all. (I read a lot of side-loaded books and I'm constantly switching to the browser to look stuff up in wikipedia)

Thank you, Kobo devs!
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #37
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastedpine View Post
Stability improvements are important. I'm still a little worried about larger books. Because of the loading, I've noticed that while I read, the Touch doesn't respond anywhere near as well as with a short novel.
Odd. I notice no difference in terms of speed and performance between a short novel like The Man Who Knew Too Much (139 pages) and a monster like War and Peace (1700+ pages). Each loads from the home page in about two-seconds, and page turn speed is identical near as I can tell. This is using freely available DRM free epubs.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:17 PM   #38
actiss
actiss began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
So is anybody else suffering from the footnote problem in sideloaded ePubs that I mentioned back in post 18? I'm curious to hear others' experiences.
actiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #39
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by actiss View Post
So is anybody else suffering from the footnote problem in sideloaded ePubs that I mentioned back in post 18? I'm curious to hear others' experiences.
In general, hyperlinks in non-Kobo EPUBs are poorly implemented. I have noticed the problem you mention here. In addition to that problem, here are some others that I have noticed:

1) there is no visual feedback to indicate that a hyperlink has been successfully activated. In a Kobo EPUB, if a hyperlink has been successfully activated the hyperlink will briefly be shown as white text against a black background (Kobo Styling Off) and the busy spinner is displayed in the upper left of the screen.
2) if a hyperlink is successfully activated, it will generally take you to the page just before the correct page.
3) in some books hyperlinks are not shown with an underline so it is impossible to distinguished them from the surrounding text. In several books that I have, I only became aware that they contained hyperlinks when I viewed them in ADE. At a minimum, hyperlinks should be shown in light gray as is the case in Kobo EPUBs with Kobo Styling Off and, preferably, they should be shown in light gray with an underline.

ETA: The three problems that I have noticed have all been pointed out to the Kobo developers but to date there is no indication that they are working on solutions or even any acknowledgment from them that they exist.

Last edited by Joe563; 07-28-2011 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Clarification.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:49 PM   #40
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Odd. I notice no difference in terms of speed and performance between a short novel like The Man Who Knew Too Much (139 pages) and a monster like War and Peace (1700+ pages). Each loads from the home page in about two-seconds, and page turn speed is identical near as I can tell. This is using freely available DRM free epubs.
Might be that the larger books he's reading have had their chapters split up into individual files that need to be loaded (a real pain when you're using footnotes, by the way, as I've found with the Kobo version of Noam Chomksy's ''Hegemony or Survival''). Greatly reduces performance.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:09 PM   #41
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by actiss View Post
I've experienced this as well, and the behavior is exactly as you describe. No indication that the footnote link has been followed, and turning a page turns to the next/previous page from the link even though the display suggests you are still on the original page.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:03 PM   #42
Sher0808
Sher0808
Sher0808 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sher0808 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sher0808 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Help...I definitely have a problem since the update. I updated my Kobo with the new software and then attempted to download a new library book that I borrowed from my library. It wouldn't work. Next thing I know I have this message saying error in storage and gave me no choice to go back to factory standards. I went through the procedure, downloaded my purchased books with no problem. But I have three borrowed books from the library that will not load using ADE like it did before. I am particularly upset as one of the books is a John Grisham The Confession with only about 20 pages left to read. I only have 2 days left before it is returned.......please let me know what I am doing wrong or is this a bug in the update???? Sher
Sher0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #43
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
If you did a factory reset, you may need to reauthorize your reader with Adobe ADE.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #44
Sher0808
Sher0808
Sher0808 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sher0808 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sher0808 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
If you did a factory reset, you may need to reauthorize your reader with Adobe ADE.
You could be right, thx. I turned everything off and started from scratch and ADE did want to be authorized. It still took several attempts to drop and drag the books into my Kobo. I am now a happy camper and off to finish my book.

Thanks again.

Sher
Sher0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #45
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
I just installed the new FW. No problems so far, except that it won't connect to Calibre anymore. Not a big surprise, just thought I'd mention it.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote