Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-05-2011, 12:53 AM   #1
OTMGD
OTMGD began at the beginning.

Device: iMac
Sigil question

Hi Folks
I am a graphic designer working in Sydney Australia. I have just installed Sigil on my Mac. When I open an epub file I can only see the graphics (eps and jpg) but not the text. Any ideas on how to get the text to show?
Thanks
Mark
OTMGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:26 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to Mobileread ….

I'll try and get this post moved to the Sigil Forum to get the experts there to answer ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2011, 04:00 AM   #3
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Is the 'Book Browser' panel open, if it is, unfold the 'Text' folder and double-click a filename to open it in the main panel. (If 'Book Browser' panel isn't open - open it from the 'view' menu)

(If there's no files in the text folder - try the 'misc' one)
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:21 AM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTMGD View Post
Hi Folks
...When I open an epub file I can only see the graphics (eps and jpg) but not the text. ...
ePub files are actually a collection multiple files in a ZIP archive that has been given the .epub extension. They are not a single linear file.

When an ePub is opened in Sigil, it cracks the archive and opens one of the "text" files by default. That default file usually contains an image, generally the cover image.

As others have said, you need to display the Book Browser panel and open the "Text" section. You'll usually find multiple files listed. The text of the book will be in one of these files or, more often, distributed across several files. Its good practice with large books to have a separate file for each chapter.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote