Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
random43743
random43743 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle PW + kindle 3
Question [Q] setting local time on unregistered kindle

hi,

i don't want to register my kindle3 with amazon. i dont see reasons why. books i buy i dedrm and then send them manually to my device using calibre. so far i don't want amazon to give any insights into my device. i havent bought anything at amazon yet anyway, if i buy books i use different shops and then convert. mostly i read free books though. (this is just info not my question, please dont start a discussion about that here)

now, is there any way to set the local time on an unregistered device? or to add/delete collections from the device menu? atm i use the collections manager on windows. i cannot access these settings in the device, they are greyed out.

helpful advice appreciated, r.
random43743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
now, is there any way to set the local time on an unregistered device? or to add/delete collections from the device menu? atm i use the collections manager on windows. i cannot access these settings in the device, they are greyed out.
It's obviously your choice if you don't want to register the device with Amazon... but that decision comes with certain sacrifices you may have to live with... and you've hit on both of them: accurate time and ease of creating collections.

You may be able to "trick" the Kindle into thinking it's registered (searching this forum and the developer forum should turn up some info) to use the collections feature.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by random43743 View Post
or to add/delete collections from the device menu?
I've done all of my collection management on the device, and AFAIK it doesn't have to be registered to do so:

1) From the home screen: click menu, choose "Create New Collection"
2) From the home screen: choose a book, click the right directional arrow, choose "add to collection", at bottom of collection list you'll see "Create New Collection"
3) From the home screen: Select a collection, click the right directional arrow, choose "Add/Remove Items"
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
random43743
random43743 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle PW + kindle 3
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You may be able to "trick" the Kindle into thinking it's registered (searching this forum and the developer forum should turn up some info) to use the collections feature.

this got me looking in the right direction.
i am able to set the local time now too.

to anyone who stumbles upon this post and is looking too:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...49&postcount=1

and

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=112

Last edited by random43743; 01-18-2011 at 09:05 AM.
random43743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:14 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I've done all of my collection management on the device, and AFAIK it doesn't have to be registered to do so:

1) From the home screen: click menu, choose "Create New Collection"
2) From the home screen: choose a book, click the right directional arrow, choose "add to collection", at bottom of collection list you'll see "Create New Collection"
3) From the home screen: Select a collection, click the right directional arrow, choose "Add/Remove Items"
All the collection menu items are greyed out until the device is registered. It would seem, therefore, that you have registered your Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 01:18 PM   #6
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
All the collection menu items are greyed out until the device is registered. It would seem, therefore, that you have registered your Kindle.
Oh, wow... strange. I can't imagine why those would be linked.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:13 PM   #7
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Oh, wow... strange. I can't imagine why those would be linked.
Collections are synced to your Amazon account so you can register another Kindle and restore your collections. This syncing feature obviously requires registration to work but I'm unsure as to why they specifically disable even the ability to create a collection for nonregistered Kindles.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I strongly suspect that it's simply to provide a good reason to register.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:20 PM   #9
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by random43743 View Post
helpful advice appreciated, r.
Ummmm, get a longer shirt ...
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle3, locale_time, privacy, unregistered