Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 10-22-2005, 08:57 AM   #1
Henrycat
Zealot
Henrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage
Talking About the current Librie

Just wanted to create a thread where anyone could post their questions/doubts/answers about the Librie.

Some of the questions i've seen around the net (with my answer):

Are the Librie owners happy with their device?
I definitely am! Although the screen size is too small to read comics comfortably :P

Is it easy to read text on it?
Yep, but it requires a good light source. I can read indoors but prefer outdoors whenever i can.

Easy to convert texts for the device?
Depends of what you want. Right now i usually take 10min to convert a 20 chapter book from Project Gutenburg in Book Creator (create cover image, about author, chapter titles, subtitles, etc). The resultant file has cover, table contexts, zoomable text, anything i want. I'm used to using pagemaker and indesign so Book Creator is really great for me.

If simply want to put the text on the Librie without the formatting, you can use Printer, format it in word with a correct page size and print to a Librie File. Great if you want to use custom fonts and want total control, but it creates a series of images so no zoomable text.

Can also use makelrf if you want zoomable text, but have to do some editing on the files.

There is also Book Designer, which allow almost everything Book Creator does and is being updated at a good pace; will also require some editing but nothing much.

That's it for now.

Anything you guys would like to know?
Henrycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 01:53 PM   #2
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
FreeDJVU textline utilities have been compiled for the Librie this week, so a .djvu reader should be cooked soon. Next week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrycat
Easy to convert texts for the device?
Depends of what you want. Right now i usually take 10min to convert a 20 chapter book from Project Gutenburg in Book Creator (create cover image, about author, chapter titles, subtitles, etc). The resultant file has cover, table contexts, zoomable text, anything i want. I'm used to using pagemaker and indesign so Book Creator is really great for me.

If simply want to put the text on the Librie without the formatting, you can use Printer, format it in word with a correct page size and print to a Librie File. Great if you want to use custom fonts and want total control, but it creates a series of images so no zoomable text.

Can also use makelrf if you want zoomable text, but have to do some editing on the files.

There is also Book Designer, which allow almost everything Book Creator does and is being updated at a good pace; will also require some editing but nothing much.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 06:27 AM   #3
Owl
Owl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony sj22
What about screen speed? How long does screen refresh?
Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:30 AM   #4
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
To my curiousity I saw that on one of the demonstration video's about the new sony reader it seemed that the entire screen was set to black before it reverted to the 'next page'. Very curious.

Any comments on that?

Edit: Welcome to MobileRead, Owl.

Last edited by Jaapjan; 01-23-2006 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Saw something important
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 10:28 AM   #5
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaapjan
To my curiousity I saw that on one of the demonstration video's about the new sony reader it seemed that the entire screen was set to black before it reverted to the 'next page'. Very curious.

Any comments on that?
In the librie is ever more amusing: the entire screen goes to black, except the previous black bits, which go to white and then to black. I supposse a check of the patents hold by E-Ink and the E-ink researchers should bring a light about this.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:21 PM   #6
arivero
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
FreeDJVU textline utilities have been compiled for the Librie this week, so a .djvu reader should be cooked soon. Next week?
A prerelease, only forward button:
http://dftuz.unizar.es/~rivero/lbdjvu.tgz

Of course it relies in the hacked english OS for entrypoint. If you know of any other way to enter bash, tell me.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:13 PM   #7
ritibelle
ritibelle doesn't litterritibelle doesn't litterritibelle doesn't litter

Device: Reb1100, Reb1200, Ebw1150, Sony 505
Hi!

I'm new here and was wondering what are the programs Book Creator and Book Designer mentioned by the 1st poster.
Thank you.
ritibelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 03:29 AM   #8
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
Actually, arivero, what I saw of the sony reader is that it works the same way. Also black except what was black and then the new page.
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote